BCD396T/BC996T: BCD396 programming-Not Enough Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
I just pulled out my old 396 to program a few local entities, Coast Guard and Public Safety for my area. (Sussex County, DE.) The conventional frequencies uploaded to the radio without a problem. The Motorola trunked systems stated not enough memory. I was well-below 20 in any bank, etc. Anyone else experienced this problem?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
When's the last time you cleaned out your memory? Did you get rid of the pre programmed systems in the quick keys (which are way out of date)?

The best way to go here is to back up your programming and do a full reset. Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Look for numerous duplicated systems. If you were using FreeScan, many people made the mistake of doing an ADD instead of REPLACE; thus you ended up with lots of duplicated systems. When you download your programming, drop all the dupes. You'll free up a lot of memory that way...Mike

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't know whether you are talking about the 396T or XT, but there are certain memory limitations.

The following are for the T model:
Systems: 200 max
Groups: 20 per system
Channels: up to 2500
Channels per Trunked System: up to 200

and for the XT:
Systems 500
Sites Total 1,000
Sites/System 256
Channel Groups per System 20
Channels+System Frequencies 25,000
Channels per conventional system 1000
Channels per trunked system 500
Trunk Frequencies per Site 500-1000 (depending on total TGIDs stored in the system)

Bear in mind that a trunked system control channel frequency counts in the number of channels per trunked system. So if you exceed 200/500 you'll get a memory error.

Also you could be below 20 groups per system, but if you attempt to program more than 200/500 total number of channels, that will lead to a error condition. (For example 11 channels in each of the 20 groups would be 220 channels, or 20 more than allowed in the T model).

Status
Not open for further replies.