BCD396T - Control Knob Hack?

Would you be interested in ordering a replacement encoder for your BCD396T?

• Yes

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nebj00la

Premium Subscriber
BCD396T - Rotary Encoder Hack

Has anyone attempted to hack the existing rotary encoder on a BCD396T with one that is like the BCT-15's? I ask this because the clicking seems way too loud and rough. The BCT-15's control knob is much smoother.

Thanks,
nebj00la

Last edited:

nebj00la

Premium Subscriber
...looks like I'll be the first. I'm going to try and find the internals that are used for the BCT-15 control knob, and replace the BCD396T's with them. I will document the project in this thread.

Does anyone know the type/size of the rotary encoder used in both radios? I'll need the size of the BCD396T's with the type of the BCT-15's. I'm not going to expect Uniden to be very forthcoming with this information, based on threads about their customer service.

Last edited:

nebj00la

Premium Subscriber
If you pull this off, you will be greatly respected and appreciated here!

"If" should now be replaced with "When". Here are the first couple of pictures for the project! The first two are of the BCD396T control knob, the third and fourth are of the BCT-15 control knob.

There is what looks to be a part identifier on the BCT-15 (potentiometer?), 708V or 708Ʉ.

Attachments

• BCD396T.Knob.1.jpg
    BCD396T.Knob.1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 774
  • BCD396T.Knob.2.jpg
    BCD396T.Knob.2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 756
  • BCT-15.Knob.1.jpg
    BCT-15.Knob.1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 848
  • BCT-15.Knob.2.jpg
    BCT-15.Knob.2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:

nebj00la

Premium Subscriber
I think that you will find that the part you are looking for is a "Rotary Encoder" and not a "potentiometer".

Mark

That explains image #4! Thanks, Mark. I wonder if UPMan can help find a replacement encoder.

Last edited:

nebj00la

Premium Subscriber
Update...

Uniden has basically told me no to everything I've asked. They will not give me part numbers, they will not give me schematics, and they will not tell me who can provide this information.

I have found a distributor who sells encoders, and they are working with me to figure out which part will work for this project. I will keep this thread updated, as usual.

P.S. If there's anyone from Uniden reading this, please let me know if there is any further information I can get about the encoders.

Thanks,
nebj00la

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Here's all I have on it:
AB330ZHBAE BSRG0461001 SW:ROTARY SR-461 RY-7941 S101 N G 1 HK05-004

This info is for repair purposes. I can't support modification of the unit with substitute parts.

Last edited:

nebj00la

Premium Subscriber
Here's all I have on it:
AB330ZHBAE BSRG0461001 SW:ROTARY SR-461 RY-7941 S101 N G 1 HK05-004

UPMan,

That's awesome. Are those the numbers for the 396 or the 15? Either way, can you provide the information for the other as well, for comparison purposes?

Thanks!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Those are for the 396/330.

BCT15's rotary encoder is:
AB336ZHBBE BSRG0464001 SWITCH:ROTARY SR-464 RK09710ELC0G S519 G 1

Again, This info is for repair purposes. I can't support modification of the unit with substitute parts..

Last edited:

nebj00la

Premium Subscriber
Those are for the 396/330.

BCT15's rotary encoder is:
AB336ZHBBE BSRG0464001 SWITCH:ROTARY SR-464 RK09710ELC0G S519 G 1

I have no idea if what you want to do is possible (or even ultimately desireable). Other than the first three fields (first two are internal parts codes, 3rd is description) I don't know with certainty what the other fields represent.

Of course, proceed at your own risk.

I believe the main difference between the rotary encoders is the fact one is mechanical (BCD396T) and the other is optical (BCT-15). Ease of use is the only reason why I am attempting this project. Browsing through 20+ systems within the scanner is much easier with the BCT-15 than it is with the BCD396T, simply because the encoder turns smoother (ie. no clicking).

Last edited:

af5rn

I have no idea if what you want to do is possible (or even ultimately desireable).
I don't know about the "possible" part. I hope it is. But I think the overwhelming majority of 396 owners would agree that it is very definitely desirable! That knob is the absolute worst feature of the radio.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ah, and as disclaimed by legal, any such modification (really, any modification at all) could void the scanner's FCC Authorization, which is not a trivial matter.

nebj00la

Premium Subscriber
Ah, and as disclaimed by legal, any such modification (really, any modification at all) could void the scanner's FCC Authorization, which is not a trivial matter.

I'm actually in the process of trying to complete a Class I Permissive Change Certification with the FCC. The only requirements, from which I can see, are the following:

(4) Class I and Class II permissive changes may only be made by the holder of the grant of certification, except as specified below.

A grantee desiring to make a change other than a permissive change shall file an application on FCC Form 731 accompanied by the required fees. The grantee shall attach a description of the change(s) to be made and a statement indicating whether the change(s) will be made in all units (including previous production) or will be made only in those units produced after the change is authorized.

1 Any person performing such modifications on equipment used under part 97 of this chapter must possess a valid amateur radio operator license of the class required for the use of the equipment being modified.

nebj00la

Premium Subscriber
I'm actually in the process of trying to complete a Class I Permissive Change Certification with the FCC. The only requirements, from which I can see, are the following:

(4) Class I and Class II permissive changes may only be made by the holder of the grant of certification, except as specified below.

I just got a response from someone (their identity will remain anonymous) regarding the feasability of a Class I Permissive Change Certification with this modification.

...the FCC would probably invoke an interpretation that the modifications alters the original construction to a degree that only a Class II Permissive Change or an entirely new application would be required

So, in other words... The light at the end of this tunnel just got a bit dimmer (pun doesn't apply here, as the modification isn't a dimmer switch).

Thanks,
nebj00la

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Alternate path:

Get a repair part based on UPMan's information. See if the mechanical detent action can be reduced without changing the parts operation significantly.

That saves your radio until you have something that works better.

nebj00la

Premium Subscriber
Alternate path:

Get a repair part based on UPMan's information. See if the mechanical detent action can be reduced without changing the parts operation significantly.

That saves your radio until you have something that works better.

Are you suggesting I contact Uniden spare parts? I've done that, and they keep telling me all I can get is a plastic knob. Other than that, I'd have to send the scanner in for repair (replaced with the original part).

My intent is to find a replacement part which is optical, instead of mechanical. The only problem is, I need to know the in's and out's of the spare part numbers provided. I have a catalog from www.mouser.com with a few mechanical's that may fit the bill. We'll see.

nebj00la

Premium Subscriber

Attachments

• Encoders.png
    Encoders.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.