BCD396T PC USB - Serial Connection Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin_Winn

Greetings. I am a proud owner of a 396T.

I recieved my scanner and programmed it by hand and couldnt be any happier.

Now with the realization of the function of my scanner I wish to now program more trunked systems in my scanner. My computer is a Slim XPS case and doesn't come with a Serial Port. So I head down to my local Radio Shack and pick up my USB to serial converter and install neccesary drivers. When using the software from Uniden I do the following.
1. Set Baud rate to every possible rate and change the baud rate in the Port, Software and scanner its self.
2. Try re-installing drivers with cable connected to scanner and not connected to scanner.
3. Plugged in and not plugged into the wall out-let.

Error : Cannot connect to scanner, Communication error

I am in flordia on vacation and cant give exact message.

I am wondering did any one ever encounter problems with the radio shack cable or any other cable. I realize its not the serial cable converter because i am able to plug in an old modem and everything works great. When I take the supplied cable to an older desktop and plug into the serial port I am able to everything I need to do. I know i can use the old computer but would like to use my new XPS to program and controll my scanner through. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

andypoms

1) Do you have the COM port assigned properly? (I've had this issue a few times)

2) I've had issues with USB to Serial Adapters... and I mean in general. One will work great with one device, and won't work at all with another. The first one won't work with something completly different, and the second will be perfect. I have one at work that works great with my Dell XPS and the 396T & the 996T. I'll try to find the make and model...

Status
Not open for further replies.