BCD436HP Post Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I had someone PM me asking for a video showing the Alert LED in action so here it is:
Uniden BCD436HP Alert feature. - YouTube

In this video the Alert LED is NOT tied to the talkgroup but to my Radio ID.
That's right: In the BCD436HP/BCD536HP Alerts can be tied to both TGIDs and RIDs.
More videos later.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Marshall
From the looks of your video, unlike the 536, the 436 will show which site is being used during a transmission. I take it is due to the larger screen size. In your video you were on the Primary Site, but if it was a multisite system I'm figuring the same thing would be displayed.

Just for you here is a demo of the Site Hold and Site Selection process:
Uniden BCD436HP Site Hold and Site Selection Demo - YouTube

Note: For this video I created a FL with only 2 VIPER sites: Cole Mill Rd in Durham and Camden Ave in Durham. as I describe in the video description: Site Hold is achieved by pressing Func+Dept/Site key. Then Site Selection is achieved by pressing the Dept/Site key by itself. You can see where the radio switches between the 2 sites. Or if you don't
enable site hold the scanner will scan between the 2 sites as specified by the hold time setting.
Sorry the focus was off for a few secs there. Hard to hold the phone with one hand and deal with the scanner with the other hand.
Marshall KE4ZNR

SDavis90

I had someone PM me asking for a video showing the Alert LED in action so here it is:
Uniden BCD436HP Alert feature. - YouTube

In this video the Alert LED is NOT tied to the talkgroup but to my Radio ID.
That's right: In the BCD436HP/BCD536HP Alerts can be tied to both TGIDs and RIDs.
More videos later.
Marshall KE4ZNR

That radio ID alert video is sweet! Thanks for posting that.

This will also help cross identifying other unknown talkgroups. Or following someone you know. Pretty cool. Thanks Uniden!

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The alert sounds just like the key up sound you get just a snippet of on the local Motorola system where I live.

I didn't listen to the video at too high a volume as I was at work, but I think you might have heard Marshall keying up his own radio to make the scanner receive.. :)

MarkWestin

I have a different question about the Micro SD card. How small can the Micro SD card be? The reason that I ask is that I have several 2GB Sandisk Micro SD cards which potentially be used in one of these BCD436HP scanners if a card that small would work. It may be several months or longer before I can afford to get a new scanner and I would like to know what else to budget for.

Mark

Jay911

Feed Provider
Well, my experience is based on the HP1, but it should be pretty much the same. The HP1 is shipped with a 2GB card. The HPDB (the main database, consisting of all US & Can RRDB data) takes up about 40MB, or 2% of the card. The HP1 shuts off recording when you have 512MB free space left.

Having said all that, the scanner (the 436) ships with a 4GB card installed.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I have a different question about the Micro SD card. How small can the Micro SD card be? The reason that I ask is that I have several 2GB Sandisk Micro SD cards which potentially be used in one of these BCD436HP scanners if a card that small would work. It may be several months or longer before I can afford to get a new scanner and I would like to know what else to budget for.

Mark

The HP-1 scanner came with 2GB Micro SD cards so it will work just fine in the new scanners however, it should be a Class 4 or higher for best results and if you plan on doing A LOT of recording you might want a bigger card. However, I have never exceeded my 2GB SD card yet so for most people a 2GB card should work well.

You also might want one to keep one for a backup SD card that is formatted and has all the files from you new scanner once you get it set up the way you want. I have several backup SD cards for my HP-1 (& soon BCD436HP) in case I am in the field and get a corrupted SD card I can just slip in one of my backup cards and I am ready to go.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Here's something I'm not sure I have seen mentioned previously. My laptop and my USB hub each have "hi-power" USB ports on them. UPMan - can the 436 take advantage of >500mA input? The hub will do 1.2A or 2.1A depending on what else you have plugged in. Will the 436 charge quicker when plugged into one of these higher-current ports?

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
436 GPS

Not sure if this has been asked and answered, but will this item work on the new 436 / 536 units?

Uniden BC-GPSK Serial GPS Receiver for Scanner

Dan

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this has been asked and answered, but will this item work on the new 436 / 536 units?

Uniden BC-GPSK Serial GPS Receiver for Scanner

Dan
Dan, that was asked previously, and yes it will work on either of the new units. I have one that I use for my HP-1, so I'll be able to use it on the 436 when it arrives.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Sentinel Software Hung For 4 Hours On "Reconstructing Full Database"

Status bar is at 100% for over 3 hours...

Tried "CLOSE WINDOW" and restart Sentinel - same error.
Rebooted PC - same error.
Unistalled and re-installed - same error.

????????????????

Jay911

Feed Provider
will this 1 have support (port) for 3dr party programs such as unitrunker, Pro96.com etc??

I believe it was said that the 536 has no CC Out, so I'd think that the 436 would be the same. This precludes using it for Unitrunker.

There's two options, though.

1 - The scanner may have the "Raw Data Out" feature that the HP1 has. If it does, it may be possible that Unitrunker can work with it (Unitrunker has worked with the HP1's raw mode in the past).

2 - There is an Analysis feature that is not currently enabled in the scanner. A future firmware update may bring this alive, and if it's like the HP1, you can do an analysis session (which is a lot like running a Unitrunker or PRO96COM session), and then after, you can review it on the computer after you import it through Sentinel. With the HP1 version, you can also import the review file into PRO96COM as if you were running an analysis session in PRO96COM.

We'll have to see when the analysis feature gets enabled by Uniden.

Status
Not open for further replies.