BCD536HP Audio output recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomas21

Premium Subscriber
I have recently reconfigured my home setup and trying to get the ideal audio listening configuration based on the unique BTL amp setup on this BCD536HP model has vs older models like the 996P2. I know audio via wireless is preferred but I would still like to also provide local audio wired.

I would like to hear the audio from the scanner in various use cases and would like to understand latest recommendations to not cause an issue.
  • EXT SPK (Rear port)
    • Use case 1 - Connect scanner Ext Spk to my Denon Audio Reciever (what is recommended?)
      • Option 1 - Using this ground loop adapter connected to back of scanner to a stereo 3.5mm to rca adapter plugged into Denon receiver
      • Option 2 - Using this mono to stereo adapter connected to back of scanner to a stereo 3.5mm to rca adapter plugged into Denon receiver
    • Use case 2 - Connect scanner Ext Spk to single external Uniden speaker (what is recommended?)

• Headphone Jack (Front port)
    • Use case 3 - Connect scanner headphone output to Denon Reciever (will go this route if more idea vs. EXT SPK) (what is recommended?)
      • Option 1 - Connect 3.5mm stereo to rca to reciever
    • Use case 4 - Connect scanner headphone output to Uniden speaker (will go this route if more idea vs. EXT SPK) (what is recommended?)

• Wireless
    • Use case 5 - Listening to scanner on a network computer or iPhone remote
      • Option 1 - Using proscan to pull in audio via IP address (works perfect)
      • Option 2 - Using Siren to pull in audio via IP address (works perfect)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Never connect a speaker out to a line in. The voltage can go way too high. Headphone jack voltage is about right.

But the digital streaming is far better. You don't need to worry about ground loop isolation.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm using Astatic 4" external speakers on all my scanners, plugged into the Ext Spkr jack on the back. It works very well, LOUD & clear!

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I use a variety of speakers in the shack, and for the 536 I switch between Yaesu MLS 4" and the Astatic 4". I also used Astatic 4" speakers in my Freightliner for my Galaxy 10 & 11 radios. Those Astatics are indeed LOUD and CLEAR and perfect for a noisy big rig. No problem hearing any of my radios.

tomas21

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

tomas21

Premium Subscriber
Thanks..looks like it is the Astatic 302-VS2 10W/8Ω Presidential External Cb Speaker.

Interesting reading this in the manual regarding the Ext. Sp.

1598903562066.png

NoClue48

I use a Radio Shack Cat. No. 21-549A 8 ohm, 5-watt External Speaker that I've had in my shack for at least 25 years. Plug it into the external speaker jack on the back of most any of my table top radios and listening is good.

Recently ordered a Uniden (BC7) Bearcat 7-Watt External Communications Speaker to augment my Uniden SDS200; whose delivery is imminent.

The beauty of both of these is that they are un-amplified, don't require another wall wart power plug and emit sounds in the "voice frequency band"; (RS 300 - 3000 Hz), (BC 300 - 5000 Hz).

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I use a Radio Shack Cat. No. 10-549A 8 ohm, 5-watt External Speaker that I've had in my shack for at least 25 years. Plug it into the external speaker jack on the back of most any of my table top radios and listening is good.

Recently ordered a Uniden (BC7) Bearcat 7-Watt External Communications Speaker to augment my Uniden SDS200; whose delivery is imminent.

The beauty of both of these is that they are un-amplified, don't require another wall wart power plug and emit sounds in the "voice frequency band"; (RS 300 - 3000 Hz), (BC 300 - 5000 Hz).

Both are also good choices!

tomas21

Premium Subscriber
Good input.. based on feedback I believe I'll go this route
Ror the rear EXT SPK. port I will either purchase a non amplified Uniden (BC7,BC15, or BC20) Bearcat to provide sound
For the front headphone I'll use a 3.5mm to RCA to my Denon Receiver

tomas21

Premium Subscriber
Update... using a BC7 connected to the EXT SPK port was the cleanest sounding. I tried the headphone jack to RCA on back on Pioneer receiver and sounded terrible... added the ground loop adapter and still didn't improve the sound.... at this point I will use the BC7 and not go the pioneer receiver route for local audio

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have recently reconfigured my home setup and trying to get the ideal audio listening configuration based on the unique BTL amp setup on this BCD536HP model has vs older models like the 996P2.
You can use the Uniden BC23A amplified speaker. It has a built-in isolation transformer to avoid shorting the audio output to ground on the BCD536HP. You will need a 12vdc power supply.

NoClue48

I'm using the BC7 on my BCD536HP and it sounds very good. A good, inexpensive solution to the muffled audio produced by the onboard speaker... my Radio Shack 549A is in use on my SDS200.

Status
Not open for further replies.