BCD536HP Date and Time reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4txf

OK, I know the Clock Reset issue is an old one and Uniden has ended the repair campaign and the other threads are closed. My current issue seems to be a little different. I have searched and scoured the web and learned there used to be a small hearing aid type battery on the "BT401" spot on the front PCB board (see pic). I have TWO BCD536HPs. One unit I purchase NEW and has been keeping date/time as normal for years. I picked up a used BCD536HP and it resets date/time after being off for more than 5 seconds. I have left it powered ON for over a week and the memory battery doesn't seem to charge. I don't get a warning message on start up as others have, I just have a reset clock. I cracked the USED radio open to look for and replace this notorious "BT401" battery. I found the spot on the PCB where the battery should be...but nothing was there...never was...it was virgin. I cracked open my working BCD536HP to get a view of its battery ....there wasn't one either! So how is it keeping time? I'm guessing the backup memory is no longer being managed by the mini hearing air type battery pictured. I have no idea what other component/capacitor is now responsible for backing up the clock. Hate to send to Uniden and spend $100 to replace a $4 part. If you know of the new failing component for the clock, please share.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Old PCB Board BT401.jpg
    Old PCB Board BT401.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Newer PCB Board BT401.jpg
    Newer PCB Board BT401.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 44

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
I'm in the same boat. I've got a 436HP and a 536HP that are doing the same thing. I also hate to spend ANOTHER $100 each to get them repaired. I'll just troll this post to see what they come up with.

n4txf

A capacitor. Typically an electrolytic capacitor.
There are no caps on the front PCB board. No new ones on the main board. The existing caps all appear well and in good health. Do you know of a specific problematic cap?

gary123

Use a high impedance voltmeter on the BT401+ pad. The good scanner may have a voltage on it from the current keep alive circuit. The bad one may show 0 volts or something close to that. From there you may be able to trace back to a cap. I expect a large value cap will be in use if it is a cap. I have a couple of 536 that are unplugged for weeks at a time and they keep the time.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
One would presume, although I don't know for a fact, that if the unit's battery isn't completely depleted, even when the unit is turned off, the battery will supply power for the clock chip.

Attached is a copy of the fix instructions supposedly for the 536,. I presume similar for 436. Also, shows fix for dim display leds

Attachments

• 12700274350001.pdf
    284.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

n4txf

One would presume, although I don't know for a fact, that if the unit's battery isn't completely depleted, even when the unit is turned off, the battery will supply power for the clock chip.

Attached is a copy of the fix instructions supposedly for the 536,. I presume similar for 436. Also, shows fix for dim display leds
Yep. Have it. These instructions speak to a battery BT401 that does not even exist on newer BCD536HP. Thanks!

morrisr3nd

Premium Subscriber
That looks like a VERY easy repair. I might just give it a try on my older unit that has both the display issue and the time issue. I found a socket that will hold a 2032 battery with leads that can be soldered to the board. I've also found the LED's and resistors. I think it might be worth a shot. I haven't worked with surface mounted stuff in a lOOOOOOnnng time. Might be fun.

n4txf

That looks like a VERY easy repair. I might just give it a try on my older unit that has both the display issue and the time issue. I found a socket that will hold a 2032 battery with leads that can be soldered to the board. I've also found the LED's and resistors. I think it might be worth a shot. I haven't worked with surface mounted stuff in a lOOOOOOnnng time. Might be fun.
If you have an older unit WITh an old button cell battery in place, that would be an easy fix. Mine are not like that. Mine have NO batteries in the BT401 spot where older units have a button cell. Yet, one radio keeps time...one does not. The potential for damage is high if I just start adding components where none originally existed. If you are replacing the button cell...remember to use an LIR2032 (rechargeable), not a CR2032. You can find pre-wired LIR2032 batteries all day on Amazon/eBay and would be easier to mount. Good luck!

morrisr3nd

Premium Subscriber
If you have an older unit WITh an old button cell battery in place, that would be an easy fix. Mine are not like that. Mine have NO batteries in the BT401 spot where older units have a button cell. Yet, one radio keeps time...one does not. The potential for damage is high if I just start adding components where none originally existed. If you are replacing the button cell...remember to use an LIR2032 (rechargeable), not a CR2032. You can find pre-wired LIR2032 batteries all day on Amazon/eBay and would be easier to mount. Good luck!
Yep. I agree with the LIR's. Don't want to accidentally charge a CR. Might not be too fun after that.

morrisr3nd

Premium Subscriber
I just ordered most of the parts (except for the battery). I'll let y'all (I'm from the south) know how it goes when they get here and I can get them installed.

morrisr3nd

Premium Subscriber
I do not believe you can rate the health of a cap by just looking at it. Pretty sure caps need to be desoldered from the board to be tested unless you can measure their equivalent series resistance with an ESR meter.
Some electrolytics will swell beyond their label when they reach end of life (usually around 10 years). Some just blow out the bottom. Others just short out and show no signs of issues.

n4txf

I just ordered most of the parts (except for the battery). I'll let y'all (I'm from the south) know how it goes when they get here and I can get them installed.
Does your BCD536HP have the old button cell mounted in the BT401 spot or is it empty like mine?

n4txf

Yes BT401 is there.
OK, the mod should work for you. I'm in another boat. I have two radios...both with no battery on BT401. One keeps time, the other doesn't. What kind of witchcraft are they using now to back up the clock?

n4txf

OK, the mod should work for you. I'm in another boat. I have two radios...both with no battery on BT401. One keeps time, the other doesn't. What kind of witchcraft are they using now to back up the clock?
Hey, do me a favor. When you have your radio OPEN, take a good pic of the front and main PCB. I'm curious to contrast and compare any component differences between yours and mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.