BCD536HP discovery mode bug (same as HP1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
The BCD536HP has the same bug I already reported to Paul in the HP1 with Discovery mode.

Thanks for reporting the bug and relating it to the HP-1.

It looks like they ported the code (and bugs) from the HP-1 to the x36HP line. As a software developer, I can appreciate saving the development costs for common functionality. But as a consumer, it can be frustrating/disappointing to see the same bugs and no new features.

Can you share your observations and experiences with advanced features between the two radios?

Does the larger/color screen on the HP-1 make it any more user friendly?

Are there any firmware features that have been extended or improved in the x36HP line?

Last edited:

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
Because they "moved on" to bigger and better things So, why would they need to do anything for us HP-1 owners?

This has been happening for TWO years with my HP. Every time I do a discovery it does it. Even in conventional mode it will hang on a frequency and NOT let you select avoid.

As Paul said in his video, they released firmware for radios that had been discontinued for years.

Hopefully they'll fix this reported bug. Maybe they won't. But at least there is a visible record of attempts to address firmware problems of mature radios in the field.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Paul's deafening avoidance of this thread is very telling of Uniden's commitment to resolving known issues.

I don't have an older digital scanner to compare to, but it sounds like Uniden "lazed-out" with some very KEY features on their x36HP line.

I'm not sure if this will make me avoid their new scanners in favor of a 996, time will tell.

tommypierson

Paul's deafening avoidance of this thread is very telling of Uniden's commitment to resolving known issues.

I don't have an older digital scanner to compare to, but it sounds like Uniden "lazed-out" with some very KEY features on their x36HP line.

I'm not sure if this will make me avoid their new scanners in favor of a 996, time will tell.

And Paul has posted again TODAY, But not in this thread =(

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
It's a very strong possibility that Paul has been specifically instructed by Uniden upper management to avoid this thread.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
This is a big reason why I encourage waiting a while to purchase the new radios. Lets see what if anything Uniden does to remedy this and whatever new issues come up. They spend a lot of money on commercials, advertizing, and getting people to take their bait. I've always said it, any company's sales rep ( like UPMan ) can dance and sing to sell you anything. How they treat you AFTER the sale is over, when problems or issues occur, will and does determine the strength, backbone and character of a company. Between the lack of attention paid to obvious issues like this one,not refusing to add feaures that are in line with today's communications technology, ( Phase 2 is not enough) and their lack luster service department, Uniden ranks in the single digits at best. But hey, they're the only real game in town right? So they can do pretty much anything they want right now, including avoiding issues and threads like this one!!

Manny

Last edited:

DMSROX2

I for one, give Uniden and Upman a huge thumbs up! Can I find things about their products I don't like, YES.... Can I wish they had Bluetooth or a fluxcore capacitor, YES.... But, overall I think they try hard to meet the major of our desires. Like everyone else, I'm waiting somewhat impatiently for my 536 to arrive, but "Christmas morning" will arrive soon and there's no amout of griping on my part gonna speed that up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SquierStrat

It's a very strong possibility that Paul has been specifically instructed by Uniden upper management to avoid this thread.

yeah, if a product i made a few years ago had a bug that i could never fix, so i just transferred that same bug to my new product, i wouldnt wanna have to explain that to anyone either.

i could understand never being able to fix a bug in an old product, and just eventually giving up on it. Its the part where they knew about it, and then transferred it into this new product, that just blows me away

Last edited:

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
That's the problem.......WISHING!

In this day in age they (UNIDEN) should be more ON PAR with the community and actually TAKE THEIR TIME making new scanners. Have a good hard look at what is CURRENTLY being used in the Digital age and try to implement it. All they did is run with Phase 2 and made everyone drool off that alone. Why could they not have put Bluetooth in the new scanners? Do they have a hard time acquiring the correct licensing for the Bluetooth like they "DO" getting MOTOTRBO? NOPE. Bluetooth is used in EVERYTHING these days. It is small enough to fit in the scanner's. What about a BUILT IN discriminator tap? Yeah what about it....... Thing's like this is the problem.

All in all, nothing is majorly changed other than the addition of Phase2 and PART TIME WiFi all in a new fancy box that is NOT a touch screen. Just because they put HP at the end of the model numbers DOES NOT make them a HP. Hell the 536 is a base station. How is that "portable" like the HP?

I realize most CRIED about having a touch screen when the HP came out due to them liking fingering the keyboards of the older units, but the HP was out for three years and NOT improved on AFTER mind you TONS of request to fix certain things. At first we heard EXCUSES and now we hear NOTHING! Guess we have no right to be pissed?

While I agree UpMan and Uniden have been working hard to catch our eyes, they have fallen short on RELIABILITY and RESPONSIBILITY.. Why?

The simple fact that if you look at the "Bcd...Sentinal" software it is NOTHING more than the original program and has a FEW minor tweaks to it. The new scanners already have bug issues KNOWN from the HP units, and the amount of time it takes to program the 536 by hand is EMBARRASSING. I watched Upman programming the scanner on youtube and while doing that I was programming my HP and was done BEFORE he got to the end of his "How to". Not to mention the 9th inning 3 bases loaded GRAND SLAM HIT and MISS with the keeping your NEW scanner plugged in for 50 hours until the LITTLE battery inside charges....BUT wait......it only holds a charge for a few days.. The sorry excuse was because of time stamping.....My HP does recording and time stamping and DOES NOT HAVE a clock interfering with displays....EPIC FAIL. Which BTW is a JOKE since we have smaller batteries that keep our PC's running and they NEVER need a charge....lol Thanks for waiting until the units were BOUGHT, PAID for and SHIPPED BEFORE telling the public about it.

You can make a turd look like a Twinkie, but when the Twinkie turn's BACK into the turd you have NOTHING but people like us Pissed we WASTED our hard earned money on a $5 plus hundred dollar toy that THREE years later is not getting updates or even looked at for FUTURE progress.

If they want me and I am sure others to continue buying their "product's", then they are going to have to STEP UP their game. These new "radios" are NOT stepping up in my opinion as of right now. Besides, these are not even their "flagship" scanners. Those OVER priced ones may NEVER come out....lol

SquierStrat

Some of you guys are insufferable.

do you think the issue here is acceptable? knowing about a bug for years, and STILL putting it into the newest model with absolutely no improvment whatsoever.. and then on top of all of that, blatantly ignoring it...? that wouldnt bother you?

Jake68111

Some of you guys are insufferable.

I'll have to disagree with you here, Mr. Blanton.

WayneH was right when he posted:

I just noticed this also when I tried out this feature with the 536. This isn't exactly a trivial, or even minor, bug. It basically kills the feature in the radio.

For those of us with the issue, that feature may as well not even exist but after all, we did pay for it, right? So what, the HP and possibly the 436 and 536 have a bug. While that's a big deal (which really isn't, its going to happen in technology) for us that would like to utilize the feature, we can't so we look to the makers of the units to look at it, work on it and issue a fix. Here is the kicker - we can't even get an acknowledgement from Uniden, in any way, shape or form that the problem even exists, let alone them digging a little deeper to find out why its happening, a work-around or firmware update.

I just sold my HP-1 and have a 536 on the way. With that said, without even having the unit yet, I'm confident I just paid for something that isn't FULLY operational with some kind of false hope that I might someday utilize what I paid for but for now, until this is acknowledged, FALSE HOPE is all I have to go on. I wouldn't call myself stupid for buying it and expecting Uniden to stand by it, as they claim.

Besides this, I'm really excited to get my 536.

Last edited:

lfd8e4

I owned a HP-1 and was far less than satisfied with it. I sold less than 3 mo. later for a fraction of the price. I pre ordered the 536/436 and had a shipping date of today which I cancelled after reading about the various issues popping up, New and Old ones. I was a sucker 1x and almost was again. Uniden did a great job getting us all in a tizzy over the latest and greatest, but thank god my commonsense kicked in and I'll wait for others to do the testing for Uniden!

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I still don't see how this 1 little thing is so bad that it renders the radio unusable?

I for one love mine!

its not the bug itself thats bothering us, its the way it is being handled.. (or should i say not handled)

For some users it IS the bug itself.

In SE Texas (and I would imagine lots of other areas) the RF environment is very dynamic and some users dedicate radios to constantly "discover" new stuff. With this issue if your discovery range includes a P25 CC you're screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.