Bcd536hp not going into serial mode . PLEASE HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

njmeatball

Trying to put my bcd536hp on serial mode, just not working. Trying to use Proscan because Sentinel does not have what im looking for anymore. Every time I try to hit Serial Mode on my scanner it just goes back to scanning. I called Uniden and they told me I have to send my scanner in for repair, I hope this is not true. I hear there is a serial driver download but with my scanner ONLY reading my 0C with the mini USB, don't know if possible to download said Serial Driver. Again.......PLEASE HELP!! THANKS

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Trying to put my bcd536hp on serial mode, just not working. Trying to use Proscan because Sentinel does not have what im looking for anymore. Every time I try to hit Serial Mode on my scanner it just goes back to scanning. I called Uniden and they told me I have to send my scanner in for repair, I hope this is not true. I hear there is a serial driver download but with my scanner ONLY reading my 0C with the mini USB, don't know if possible to download said Serial Driver. Again.......PLEASE HELP!! THANKS
When the scanner is operating normally, it is in Serial Port mode.

This link in the Windows Serial Drivers section contains the driver. Follow the instructions exactly.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Did you try the "Send MSM Command To Scanner" in ProScan?

The OP wants the scanner in Serial Port mode and not Mass Storage mode. That won't work anyways as the scanner has to be in Serial Port mode and ProScan communicating with the scanner to send the MSM command.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Trying to put my bcd536hp on serial mode, just not working. Trying to use Proscan because Sentinel does not have what im looking for anymore. Every time I try to hit Serial Mode on my scanner it just goes back to scanning.
That's because the scanner is always in serial mode when scanning. There isn't any other serial mode.

Ubbe

Every time I try to hit Serial Mode on my scanner it just goes back to scanning.
That is what it is supposed to do, it is the correct behaviour. Serial mode are in work mode at the same time as the scanner are doing it's usual business. Don't send it in to be repaired.

/Ubbe

OldRabbit

Sounds like a bad USB connection - I have seen this - but don't remember what caused it sorry - on my SDS200

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
When scanning, the radio IS in serial mode. To use computer to program, go to Mass Storage mode.
To use computer monitor/control, the serial driver needs to be installed & working on the computer.
Plug your cable into computer USB then into the radio (already on) and you should get the prompt for selecting serial or mass storage modes. If the computer does not recognize the radio, you have a driver issue.
There does not appear to be anything wrong with the radio itself if it is scanning correctly.

Last edited:

njmeatball

This link in the Windows Serial Drivers section contains the driver. Follow the instructions exactly.
Thanks for responding. The link said when I plug the usb port in I will be prompted to

Im never prompted for the proper driver. Thank you so much for the response but When I hit the "." Button, the scanner just goes back to scanning. Again, nothing else happens. Everything is hooked up right. Scanner not reading my pc. Please help again if u can! REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!

RMason

Premium Subscriber
Let's start from the beginning.

What is shown on the BCD536HP display when you connect the usb cable?

You should see:
USB Cable Detected
Select USB mode

Mass Storage="E" / Serial Port = "."

It is expected behavior that when you hit the "." button, the scanner will go back to scanning.

Please describe what you are trying to accomplish. What are you expecting to happen that is not happening?

njmeatball

Let's start from the beginning.

What is shown on the BCD536HP display when you connect the usb cable?

You should see:
USB Cable Detected
Select USB mode

Mass Storage="E" / Serial Port = "."

It is expected behavior that when you hit the "." button, the scanner will go back to scanning.

Please describe what you are trying to accomplish. What are you expecting to happen that is not happening?
Im trying to download the proscan software to my scanner. Sentinel works but doesn't have ALL the channels im looking for. Its a stripped down version of what I'm looking for. I had Trenton N.J. Police with Sentinel but, they only broadcast channel 1 dispatch. TPD were having problems with channel 1 and switched to channel 2 for primary dispatch, which is only available with ProScan. My scanner and computer read the mini usb port but, nothing else. Bob from ProScan emailed me and said it can't go thru the mini usb. I've got ALL cables for connection to computer but, none are recognized. Only mini usb. Thank you so much for the response.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
OK let's take it one part at a time.
Im trying to download the proscan software to my scanner.

Proscan is software that runs on your PC to *program* your scanner. But I'm guessing you meant "download the programming from Proscan".

Sentinel works but doesn't have ALL the channels im looking for. Its a stripped down version of what I'm looking for. I had Trenton N.J. Police with Sentinel but, they only broadcast channel 1 dispatch. TPD were having problems with channel 1 and switched to channel 2 for primary dispatch, which is only available with ProScan.

I love Proscan, but that's not how it works. Have you updated the database in Sentinel recently? If so, then the only difference between what's available using the RR download in Proscan and what's available in Sentinel are things that were added or updated since the last database extract (which happens every Sunday).

My scanner and computer read the mini usb port but, nothing else. Bob from ProScan emailed me and said it can't go thru the mini usb. I've got ALL cables for connection to computer but, none are recognized. Only mini usb. Thank you so much for the response.

If you are trying to use Proscan to update the favorite lists on your BCD536HP then you need to be in "Mass Storage Mode" to do so, just like you would do if using Sentinal. On the SDSxxx and BCDx36HP scanners, "Serial Mode" is for remote control ONLY.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like you are trying to program your scanner using ProScan.

The advice that sallen07 has given is spot on. In particular, you need to be in "Mass Storage Mode" to download programming to the scanner.

njmeatball

Do you mean Trenton on this system?

If so it shows all Trenton Police encrypted. It is also a NXDN system.
Yes I have listened to this before on the NXDN system. I heard TPD say they are changing to channel 2 for main dispatch. I ALSO still hear channel 1 which should be channel 2. It is not encrypted. But thank you so much for your input. Really appreciate the response.

njmeatball

Status
Not open for further replies.