BCD536HP Post-Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidPandora

More than $600? Why would you do that:confused:
Larry

Well because it's very popular... and every Retailer on the block knows it and they know that if you don't buy it at 625 or 649 that the guy next door will... that's why :roll:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I was looking in the manual for some information on Department Quick Keys and couldn't find much. How does one select a Department Quicky Key?

rdevous

Out for delivery!!!

Got notified by BearcatWarehouse.com yesterday that my 536 shipped and UPS tracking has it out for delivery by the end of the day. OH BOY...OH BOY...OH BOY!!!

trunker

Department/Site Quick Key in the Current List – Press .no, the number keys assigned to
the System(s), .no, the number keys assigned to the Department(s) or Site(s), then E/yes
Example: .02.04, E/yes toggles all Departments/Sites with QK 4, in all Systems with SQK 2.

Department/Site Quick Key in a Different List – Press the number key(s) assigned to the
Favorites List, .no, the number keys assigned to the System, .no, the number keys assigned
to the Department(s) or Site(s), then E/yes.
Example: 1.02.04, E/yes toggles all Departments/Sites with QK 4, in all Systems with SQK 2,
in List 1.

Department/Site Quick Key in the Current System – Press .no twice, the number keys
assigned to the Department(s) or Site(s), then E/yes.
Example: ..04, E/yes toggles all Departments/Sites with SQK 4.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I was about to post that, so I'll just add:

Let's say I want to turn on the Favorite 02, System 04, Department 01

When you select the QCK navigation, press the Favorite quick key number, ".", followed by the System quick key number, ".", then the Department number and then "E" or tap the scroll control.

I.E: 02.04.01, E (or tap scroll)

As an example you should see something like this on the display:

Quick Key Navigation

F0:0123456789
S0:-----4----*-
D0:-123456789

Once you press the department key the "D0:" line will display and the department should be turned off or on depending on its current status.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I should add, if you turn the Department off, the number should change to "*", if it's on the associated number will be displayed.

gonzalu

Called ScannerMaster to find out about my order. They told me they expected the scanners at end of next week and would ship them then. They could not tell me my place on the list even though I pre-ordered and paid on the 10th of December.

Just called Ham Station and placed the order a few minutes ago and it has already been shipped (confirmed) ... WOW!!!

Cancelling my Scannermaster order. Nothing against them as I have done fine business with them in the past. Just wanted my radio sooner :)

Cheers!

DXHunter

Boot-up time

Just watched Upman's "First Power On" video of the BCD536HP and was surprised by how long it takes the scanner to boot-up (approx. 30 seconds in the video). Have any of the firmware revisions addressed this issue? When I hear a siren or see a firetruck go screaming by my house the last thing I want to do is to stare at a "loading database" message while all of the initial emergency dispatch communications are occurring. Hopefully the boot-time issue is being addressed but could someone please confirm?

gonzalu

Just watched Upman's "First Power On" video of the BCD536HP and was surprised by how long it takes the scanner to boot-up (approx. 30 seconds in the video). Have any of the firmware revisions addressed this issue? When I hear a siren or see a firetruck go screaming by my house the last thing I want to do is to stare at a "loading database" message while all of the initial emergency dispatch communications are occurring. Hopefully the boot-time issue is being addressed but could someone please confirm?

Keep your Favorites lists small and boot time should be much quicker. It all depends on how much data it has to load.

If you're running off main database and have lots of types selected, be prepared to wait a while.

On my HP-1 with a local custom list, I get scanning in just a few seconds.

Still, we now have to get used to the idea that instant on (like my 996XT) is no longer a reality...

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The DMA in the x96T and XT series is directly in memory. The x36HP series (and HP-1) relies on customized favorites files with as little information, or as much information as you can cram into it on a microSD card, somewhat slowing down loading processes.

The x36HP is more like a computer booting process. Once loaded, it runs as fast as the memory and processor can handle the information input.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Good Afternoon,

While I consider myself one of the lucky one's my radio arrived in my hands today. I pre ordered from Advanced in Lodi, NJ, I was able to get the scanner BCD536HP up and running in no time flat.

The scanner receive on the stock antenna is outstanding, strong words of advice, follow UPMAN
directions leading off this thread and you can't go wrong. Did everything he stated and the scanner
worked without fail.

The videos that Paul UPMAN put out on the favorites list was a huge help was able to
create one and began monitoring the NJPSIC system without fail, nice to hear Newark Fire
once again, to me the audio is clear.

Glad I made the investment in this radio as radio communications is key to my daily
operations as an EMS Chief.

Update Note: I am picking up systems I NEVER could pick up before with an
outside Antenna, very impressed with the radio thus far, My monitoring days
go back when Sears produced an 10 channel scanner which I still have.

Thanks Uniden for this great product.

Tony M.
Harrison, NJ

Last edited:

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Good Afternoon,

While I consider myself one of the lucky one's my radio arrived in my hands today. I pre ordered from Advanced in Lodi, NJ, I was able to get the scanner BCD536HP up and running in no time flat.

The scanner receive on the stock antenna is outstanding, strong words of advice, follow UPMAN
directions leading off this thread and you can't go wrong. Did everything he stated and the scanner
worked without fail.

The videos that Paul UPMAN put out on the favorites list was a huge help was able to
create one and began monitoring the NJPSIC system without fail, nice to hear Newark Fire
once again, to me the audio is clear.

Glad I made the investment in this radio as radio communications is key to my daily
operations as an EMS Chief.

Thanks Uniden for this great product.

Tony M.
Harrison, NJ

Thanks for the pointer on following the directions from UPMan at the beginning of this post. I am going to follow it to a "T" tomorrow when my pot of gold gets delivered. I sure want to start off on the right foot.

RF23

Premium Subscriber

I think the reason the boot time was so long was that it was a FIRST on and therefore it needed to update it's database (which compared to GRE radios the x36HP radios are really fast this). I think once that is done and unless it is a Monday your boot time will be a few seconds only. I think UPMan actually has addressed this question already but I may not have remembered it correctly as I have been reading so many posts they are all kind of running together.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I think the reason the boot time was so long was that it was a FIRST on and therefore it needed to update it's database (which compared to GRE radios the x36HP radios are really fast this). I think once that is done and unless it is a Monday your boot time will be a few seconds only. I think UPMan actually has addressed this question already but I may not have remembered it correctly as I have been reading so many posts they are all kind of running together.

The database does not update automatically when the unit is turned on.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I just had a heckuva an idea on system/site & department quick keys.

Before I forget, thanks to those who helped me understand accessing the department quick keys.

Here's the idea: The "System" and "Dept" buttons just below the display have dual functions. Single press does one thing, double press something slightly different. Perhaps a "triple press" function can be added at some future firmware update time. That "triple press" would be to deal with System and Department Quick key access, in addition to the way previously described.

Alternatively there could be a "long press" that would allow for quick key access.

I can see it being a lot easier for me to remember to press either the System or Department button for dealing with quick keys rather than the ./no button.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
The database does not update automatically when the unit is turned on.

You are correct!

I realized after I posted that what I posted really did not make sense so I search for UPMan's post on this topic and here is what I found UPMan's post:

"If you set the profile to not use the main dB, but instead only a small Favorites List, boot time is much faster. How much faster depends on how much is in the Favorites List. Upon boot, the scanner must load channels from the microSD card into working memory."

You guys were correct I guess I had better not try to post between activities.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this is true or not but I think you have to pay state tax on all items on Amazon now. That would be about 50 bucks extra in taxes I think. Correct me if I am wrong

It depends on whether the seller is Amazon itself, or a third party affiliate. If it's a third party, then you don't pay sales tax. Only items sold directly by Amazon and only if they have agreed to charge sales tax with that particular state. How much sales tax you pay will depend on what state you live or are having the item shipped to.

Chris45

I just wanted to mention that HRO will be shipping the BCD436HP next week. I live close to one of the stores so I will pick it up on location and avoid any UPS hassles. Yesterday I reserved one for the fee that is deducted from the total cost of the radio. Today, they gave me a first offer and confirmed my purchase. I like the option of dealing in person when possible, and over many years I have had good service from them. Remember that if one of their stores does not have an item, they will get it to you from one of their many locations usually in a day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.