BCD536HP WiFi Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFDRescue1

Thanks for the Help!!

The BIN file is part of the Wi-Fi-Updater.ZIP. Look in the folder where you unzipped the Wi-Fi-Updater.zip file.

There are 3 files in the Wi-Fi-Updater.zip:
BC-WF1_FirmwareUpdater_Version0.00.03.zip
FWUpdate_WriteData_UartDisable_ver.5.1.bin
STM_VCP.zip

Found the file and it installed nicely. Thanks so much for the help!!

eaf1956

Feed Provider
dongle drivers

Did you install the drivers for the wifi dongle so Windows will recognize it and give it a com port? Then check device manager and see if it's there with a com port assigned.

Where can I D/L the driver so WIN 7 can recognize the dongle? Got Sentinel and the UPDATER for the dongle but WIN 7 has no drivers for it.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Got it

Where can I D/L the driver so WIN 7 can recognize the dongle? Got Sentinel and the UPDATER for the dongle but WIN 7 has no drivers for it.

OK I found the other ZIP file and after several attempts changing things around I got the update to work. Even worked as WIN 7 ADMIN after I changed the properties in device manager for the COM PORT from 4 to 1. Seems the DONGLE defaulted to COM 4 but it kept getting errors, changed it to com 1 and it worked.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Should note that we have another update in testing...and likely will be revised again before we have the app ready. I'd not worry too much about dongle issues at this time.

JamesO

Yes, there will be an android app

This is good.

Is there a general overall summary as to what the Apps and WiFi will allow? Maybe even a bullet point list would be helpful.

I know there has been some info out there, but some has been a bit vague as to all the features.

Hopefully there will also be a way to configure Static IP addressing into the scanner as well?

Nothing worse than having the scanner on a float battery and the main router loosing power, then you loose the scanner until you reestablish the WiFi connection.

sck

I was successful in doing the update, but having connection problems. Is my thinking correct that the steps for infrastructure and AP mode backwards in the menu. I want to connect to my router. If I select infrastructure it takes me direct to input password and no network selection scree. After I enter the password, it says connect error. If I go through AP point mode, the wifi info screen then shows a bad IP address that isn't from my router. Anyone else having a similar problem? Wish it were possible to enter a static IP instead of dynamic.

Voyager

Keep in mind that there hasn't been a firmware update since last April or so. There are bound to be bugs or things that are not finished. Otherwise, they would have had the app out when they first expected to have it.

mfowler79

Can't connect to network

I was successful in doing the update, but having connection problems. Is my thinking correct that the steps for infrastructure and AP mode backwards in the menu. I want to connect to my router. If I select infrastructure it takes me direct to input password and no network selection scree. After I enter the password, it says connect error. If I go through AP point mode, the wifi info screen then shows a bad IP address that isn't from my router. Anyone else having a similar problem? Wish it were possible to enter a static IP instead of dynamic.

I am having the same problem. I updated the dongle successfully but it won't connect to my router. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Voyager

Describe the setup. What router? What protocol? WEP or WPA? (you need to be using WPA). DHCP or Static? (you must be using DHCP)

What version is the dongle showing? Does it show an IP was assigned?

k8ble

HAM, ATV'ER, MOTOROLER XTS 2500 Q52.Q53. Q811,H02
Premium Subscriber
536 wifi apple only?

i heard that the wifi only work for apple user's?. can anyone confirm this.
thanks

MStep

i heard that the wifi only work for apple user's?. can anyone confirm this.
thanks

The application, called SIREN, was only developed for Apple users, although Uniden originally said it would be developed for Android users as well. That was originally proposed 2 years ago, when the radio was introduced, and that promise has not been fulfilled as of this date. You will notice above in this thread, message # 49, 03-06-2014, 10:22 AM, Uniden's rep here on the forums reaffirms that an Android application would be developed. We're still waiting.

Uniden was also supposed to develop a server infrastructure so that users of SIREN would not have to connect remotely to their home networks. That also never happened.

It is possible to use the Wi-Fi function of the 536 in conjunction with your local home network if you use a paid program like Proscan, that allows for both local and remote operation, although that remote application requires a remote computer or tablet with Proscan installed, and your home network must be configured for remote access. Proscan allows the use of two copies (one for local and one for remote) under its license.

Uniden developed a proof of concept program which can also be used on your own local network. That program is available on the Uniden web site and is known as RH-536HP, although its operation is fairly limited.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The application, called SIREN, was only developed for Apple users, although Uniden originally said it would be developed for Android users as well. That was originally proposed 2 years ago, when the radio was introduced, and that promise has not been fulfilled as of this date. You will notice above in this thread, message # 49, 03-06-2014, 10:22 AM, Uniden's rep here on the forums reaffirms that an Android application would be developed. We're still waiting.

Uniden was also supposed to develop a server infrastructure so that users of SIREN would not have to connect remotely to their home networks. That also never happened.

It is possible to use the Wi-Fi function of the 536 in conjunction with your local home network if you use a paid program like Proscan, that allows for both local and remote operation, although that remote application requires a remote computer or tablet with Proscan installed, and your home network must be configured for remote access. Proscan allows the use of two copies (one for local and one for remote) under its license.

Uniden developed a proof of concept program which can also be used on your own local network. That program is available on the Uniden web site and is known as RH-536HP, although its operation is fairly limited.

One correction I should bring to your attention. ProScan not needed on the remote side for remote control. Any web browser can be used for remote control using the ProScan Web Server feature. I recommend Chrome. You're thinking of Remote Scanner Over IP which requires ProScan on the remote side which offers Logger and Recorder on the remote side.

Not just computers on the remote side but any mobile device with a web browser can Remote Control many Uniden scanners currently.

Last edited:

MStep

One correction I should bring to your attention. ProScan not needed on the remote side for remote control. Any web browser can be used for remote control using the ProScan Web Server feature. I recommend Chrome. You're thinking of Remote Scanner Over IP which requires ProScan on the remote side which offers Logger and Recorder on the remote side.

Not just computers on the remote side but any mobile device with a web browser can Remote Control many Uniden scanners currently.

Thanks for the clarification Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.