BCD996P2 Fort Liberty Help programming

beacontowing

Premium Subscriber
I have access to Freescan, ARC XTPro, and Proscan software. I am completely new to programming a scanner much less this new APCO system. We had a previous gentleman that has moved that programmed our scanners for us. I am willing to pay someone to send me the program in any of the programs I have access to for the New Fort Liberty system. With the old system, we had a certain tower we could lock in on, depending on coverage, and listen to the PMO main dispatch. However, with the switch over, I have used the various programs, imported the through radio reference the frequencies and talk groups and nothing. In one of the programs it said "searching for control channel" even though that is all that I downloaded were the control channel. I am also concerned that the talkgroups listed are incorrect, as I can't get but a few of the ones listed to even speak, but there are some with some talking that aren't listed. They may be on the old system and that is why I am actually getting some activity.

These are the 2 sites I am referencing when importing info. If you notice the one that I believe they haves witched to is now a trunk system and doesn't have talkgroups.

I literally just need PMO main dispatch, a different channel for MP TAC, and MP Car to Car, so I can lock in on PMO dispatch, however if they say they are going to MP TAC, I can switch over and listen to that.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If you have to control channels for the 2 sites of interest and the scanner is scanning those 2 sites, and still saying searching for control channel, then the scanner is not picking it up. How far are you from the said sites and what are you using for an antenna?

And which system are the tg's your interested in on?

This is posted on Fort Liberty system

System Notes​

5/8/24: Please add a notation that the change has begun to move this system onto the US Army CONUS Enterprise Land Mobile Radio Network (ACE LMR) and many current sites have gone quiet. It appears the control channels are remaining the same but system ID and WACN are changing.

The Army system lists 7 sites for For Liberty. Which ones are closest to you?

1 (1)087 (57)Fort Liberty - Site 1Cumberland, NC385.350c388.5875
1 (1)088 (58)Fort Liberty - Site 2Cumberland, NC386.250c
1 (1)089 (59)Fort Liberty - Site 3Cumberland, NC385.0125c385.8875c
1 (1)090 (5A)Fort Liberty - Site 4Rowan, NC386.400c386.550c
1 (1)091 (5B)Fort Liberty - Site 5Cumberland, NC388.500c388.650c388.800c
1 (1)092 (5C)Fort Liberty - Site 6Randolph, NC386.2125c
1 (1)093 (5D)Fort Liberty - Site 7Union, NC386.0375c

beacontowing

Premium Subscriber
If you have to control channels for the 2 sites of interest and the scanner is scanning those 2 sites, and still saying searching for control channel, then the scanner is not picking it up. How far are you from the said sites and what are you using for an antenna?

And which system are the tg's your interested in on?

This is posted on Fort Liberty system

The Army system lists 7 sites for For Liberty. Which ones are closest to you?

1 (1)087 (57)Fort Liberty - Site 1Cumberland, NC385.350c388.5875
1 (1)088 (58)Fort Liberty - Site 2Cumberland, NC386.250c
1 (1)089 (59)Fort Liberty - Site 3Cumberland, NC385.0125c385.8875c
1 (1)090 (5A)Fort Liberty - Site 4Rowan, NC386.400c386.550c
1 (1)091 (5B)Fort Liberty - Site 5Cumberland, NC388.500c388.650c388.800c
1 (1)092 (5C)Fort Liberty - Site 6Randolph, NC386.2125c
1 (1)093 (5D)Fort Liberty - Site 7Union, NC386.0375c
I have awesome signal with Site 1, and am just scanning with no TG's programmed to see what it will pick up and it only picks up ACP's and Fire/EMS dispatch, none of the Military Police channels. They just switched to the new system yesterday, as we heard them testing both and then everything we were listening to went silent, which was the main PMO dispatch. That is really all we are interested in.

As far as which system, we are assuming it is on the new system, as the old system went quiet yesterday. But, the new system doesn't list any talkgroups for Liberty only the old system, which has been updated on RR, but after programming those, it still didn't work. But, again, I have never programmed them in and am clueless of all the things you have to make sure are correct. I asked my husband if he was aware of what our previous guy did, and he had no idea, just that we would lock in on the tower with the best signal and it was scan the talkgroups we had programmed in, and we would basically lock it to the PMO main dispatch and would give quick keys to say "MP Car to Car" when they would say, "switching to Tac2. Tac5, etc"

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Looks to me like Fort Liberty uses the same control channel frequencies as does the Army CONUS system.

If it was me trying to figure out a new system, I'd program all sites with all frequencies, not just control channels. That way you won't miss a control channel because it's been switched for some reason or another. I'd probably choose the Fort Liberty entry versus the Army CONUS as it show more frequencies. It's no big deal if you have many frequencies as possible control channel frequencies as the scanner grabs up the first one it "hears" with CC data, disregarding all others. (Of course you could create a second system with the Army CONUS just to be on the safe side.)

I'd turn ID Search ON. That will receive all talkgroups since you are trying to figure this out. You can Avoid/Lockout those that do not interest you as they come up. This is something you'll see in programming.

"Searching for Control Channel" or "finding control channel" is what your scanner will display if it monitoring a trunked system but is not receiving control channel data. That situation happens when you are too far away from a transmitter, having an antenna issue or simply don't have the correct control channel programmed. (Remember, you can't have too many, but you can have too few).

It's possible (likely?) that in the interest of Homeland Security, the military police are now using encrypted talkgroups. Here in Kentucky at Fort Knox the MP talkgroups are, but sometimes they disable this and MPs can be heard.

One last thing you could do is program the site you get the best signal from as a conventional system with all the frequencies and scan it. You will get one channel with a "motorboat sound" which is the control channel. Just lock it out/Avoid it, then you'll hear transmissions. They won't follow channels like you get with trunking, but this is a good diagnostic tool.

Some of this will be trial and error. You'll see which sites you cannot receive and "do away" with them.

beacontowing

Premium Subscriber
Looks to me like Fort Liberty uses the same control channel frequencies as does the Army CONUS system.

If it was me trying to figure out a new system, I'd program all sites with all frequencies, not just control channels. That way you won't miss a control channel because it's been switched for some reason or another. I'd probably choose the Fort Liberty entry versus the Army CONUS as it show more frequencies. It's no big deal if you have many frequencies as possible control channel frequencies as the scanner grabs up the first one it "hears" with CC data, disregarding all others. (Of course you could create a second system with the Army CONUS just to be on the safe side.)

I'd turn ID Search ON. That will receive all talkgroups since you are trying to figure this out. You can Avoid/Lockout those that do not interest you as they come up. This is something you'll see in programming.

"Searching for Control Channel" or "finding control channel" is what your scanner will display if it monitoring a trunked system but is not receiving control channel data. That situation happens when you are too far away from a transmitter, having an antenna issue or simply don't have the correct control channel programmed. (Remember, you can't have too many, but you can have too few).

It's possible (likely?) that in the interest of Homeland Security, the military police are now using encrypted talkgroups. Here in Kentucky at Fort Knox the MP talkgroups are, but sometimes they disable this and MPs can be heard.

One last thing you could do is program the site you get the best signal from as a conventional system with all the frequencies and scan it. You will get one channel with a "motorboat sound" which is the control channel. Just lock it out/Avoid it, then you'll hear transmissions. They won't follow channels like you get with trunking, but this is a good diagnostic tool.

Some of this will be trial and error. You'll see which sites you cannot receive and "do away" with them.
I have tried some of this, but maybe had too much going on at once. I am not sure if they are encrypted or not, it is a very real possibility. If they indeed are encrypted, does that mean there is no chance of ever being able to listen to them? Again, I am new to the programming side, of course they change systems and we have been tasked by some people to listen to make sure we are getting the calls in a timely fashion.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have tried some of this, but maybe had too much going on at once.
Try all of it. Everything @ofd8001 listed is what many of us would do in this situation. Also try the scanner near a window or take it in the car and park closer to the site and see what happens. If it receives from outside or closer to the site, then a better antenna might help.

I am not sure if they are encrypted or not
Are you getting a good lock on a control channel? Is the scanner set to id search? Any enc should be indicated on the screen.

If they indeed are encrypted, does that mean there is no chance of ever being able to listen to them?
Correct. No chance unless they turn off the encryption.

beacontowing

Premium Subscriber
Try all of it. Everything @ofd8001 listed is what many of us would do in this situation. Also try the scanner near a window or take it in the car and park closer to the site and see what happens. If it receives from outside or closer to the site, then a better antenna might help.

Are you getting a good lock on a control channel? Is the scanner set to id search? Any enc should be indicated on the screen.

Correct. No chance unless they turn off the encryption.

beacontowing

Premium Subscriber
It is set to ID search and I have good signal on 3 sites, almost all full bars. It just baffles me that they have encrypted everything. I mean, roads, recreation, fire, ems.... I'll move it around and see if it still is an issue. Thank you!

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
It is set to ID search and I have good signal on 3 sites, almost all full bars. It just baffles me that they have encrypted everything. I mean, roads, recreation, fire, ems.... I'll move it around and see if it still is an issue. Thank you!

Buy me lunch one of these days and I'll bring my laptop and DSD+ down to look at the system decode. :)

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

trumpetman

Database Admin
Make sure you are only using the active control channel frequencies on the new system. If the old system is still online and they are using the same pool of frequencies, you may be listening to the old unused system without realizing it.

If you HOLD on the site while scanning, it should show the system and site ID so you can determine which system you're on. If you see 3CF, that's the old system, if it's 98D then that's the new system.

beacontowing

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you are only using the active control channel frequencies on the new system. If the old system is still online and they are using the same pool of frequencies, you may be listening to the old unused system without realizing it.

If you HOLD on the site while scanning, it should show the system and site ID so you can determine which system you're on. If you see 3CF, that's the old system, if it's 98D then that's the new system.
So the current one I am seeing the 98DH, with 5 bars, so signal is good, just no TG's, or very little activity. I think I am missing something to be able to listen to TG's. I saw them all listed and tried to upload them into the scanner with no luck, so then I just uploaded the frequencies to scan and barely any activity, which I know is not accurate.
Do you see any of the tg’ last of interest coming up and as enc? If the tg’s of interest are encrypted, moving around will not make a difference.
I don't see any of the TG's coming u pm at all. I have been able to listen to the dispatch call for fire and ems, but don't here a response. I have heard, the ACP's(ramp count only) once in a blue moon. And heard the Womack maintenance talking a little last night, but all coms are very few and far between.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I will 100% pay you to come and set it up for us. Neither me nor my husband are proficient in any of this.

I won't charge you, since I wouldn't know how to use the programming software, but if I get time this week I might run down and see what the new system is showing on DSD+, if it is encrypted or what.

beacontowing

Premium Subscriber
I won't charge you, since I wouldn't know how to use the programming software, but if I get time this week I might run down and see what the new system is showing on DSD+, if it is encrypted or what.
We have the Home Patrol, and several G5 pagers as well and have the BCD996P2(mounted in our trucks and several stationary in our storefront and home) I have the freescan, proscan and ARC XTPRO software that I have bought licenses to, so if you are familiar with any of those or have one you suggest we purchase to help with programming needs of the scanners we have, we would greatly appreciate it. I, will be around Monday, and then am going to the beach for the rest of the week, however my husband will be at our store Mon-Friday 8-5 with the exception of the 4th, but will be around the area. I don't know if you have an email that I can send you our address and phone number so we can possibly meet up. Again, thank you for whatever help you have. We are desperate at this point. My email is beacontowingoffice@icloud.com.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried doing any logging with either ProScan or ARC XT Pro? This would help give you an idea on whether you are getting any "hits".

Definitely need some higher level research (as in listening to the system with the right gear) to see what is going on.

You may want to get with those who "task you to get to calls in a timely manner" and ask them what they may know about the new system. (I'm doing some reading between lines and making assumptions that could be way off.)

beacontowing

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried doing any logging with either ProScan or ARC XT Pro? This would help give you an idea on whether you are getting any "hits".

Definitely need some higher level research (as in listening to the system with the right gear) to see what is going on.

You may want to get with those who "task you to get to calls in a timely manner" and ask them what they may know about the new system. (I'm doing some reading between lines and making assumptions that could be way off.)
Ok, so I got a little more insight today that may or may not bee of any help. @RaleighGuy came down and hooked his SDR up to see what he could see. It seemed like we were locked on to good CC and we could see voice channels, however nothing was coming through. There was a TG that did say (ENC), however the others seem to be talking but we couldn't hear anything.

The info that I got today said something about LMR and they also didn't change any of their equipment, handhelds, in car radios, which makes me wonder if the TG are encrypted??? Is it a possibility they are on the VIPER network and would that make any difference in programming?

If you are asking about doing logging with ProScan or ARC XT Pro, I have no idea how to do that. I'll Youtube it to see if I can figure out how to do that. AGain, very amateur here, like infant stage at the radio programming.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
If they are on Viper then yes it would make a difference in the programming plus All federal Agencies or at least 99% of them are encrypted anyway. It is possible some things might be encrypted like all law enforcement but not fire/rescue. I am running the BCD996P2 here in the DC Metro using the Uniden software but my goto portable is a Harris XG-100P. Up here in the DC metro their is the JNCR which is the Joint Nations Capitol Region and it includes all military bases in, MD,VA,DC, and along the MD/PA line in PA as well and it looks like it is a Harris system. It does appear to be a Motorola system since the WACN is BEE00. If it was a Harris system the WACN would be totally different and on a Harris system every site frequencies can be used as a control channel as well.