BCD996p2 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

slyfox1

Premium Subscriber
I'm having issues w with my 996p2. Initially the problem was that it wasn't working with p25 phase 2 systems. When I would try to program in the frequencies it wouldn't even accept the 6.25khz frequency spacing. I installed the upgrade that supposedly would work around this (version 1.05.02 initially and then 1.08.01) and now many of my keypad keys don't work. The scanner comes on and scans whatever it was last set to do, I can operate it from the computer using freescan virtual control, but none of the number keys work nor does the scan, hold and menu keys. I was able to do the 2,9,hold reset combination so I know the keys themselves work just not when it comes to operating the radio. Also with the new firmware, the scanner still won't program a phase 2 system. Does anyone have a clue what the heck is going on and more importantly, how to cure the problems?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Check if the SCAN/SEARCH or HOLD/RESUME buttons are physically stuck on. If they are, you will not hear or feel the buttons click when you press them.

Last edited:

slyfox1

Premium Subscriber
All the buttons are free. None are stuck. The only ones that respond are pri, wx, 1, 2 and 3. Also the function CC (squelch push) and light (volume push) work. Everything else doesn't even beep when pressed. Also now it is stuck in hold mode both on the radio and by virtual control.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Key Safe Mode disables the ability to enter any menu functions to change programming. All of the keypad numbers as well as SCAN and HOLD are active in Key Safe Mode. Numbers may appear to be inactive if no quick keys are programmed. Try removing the case and reseating any ribbon cables going to the front panel.

tvengr

Well Known Member
My guess fw I would force the firmware again
I agree! You beat me to the post. I have version 1.08.01 firmware in my BCD996P2 and have no problems with P25 Phase 2 or the keypad.. You might try installing the 1.08.01 firmware again if you were not having keypad problems before changing firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.