Bcd996t install options

Status
Not open for further replies.

timenright

I am new to this hobby and am very excited to get started. We are designing a custom coach from the ground up and want to add a scanner and we want to make sure we do things right.

Our selection for the scanner is the Uniden BDC996T. Our choice of antenna is the Austin Spectra. The scanner will have a persistent connection to the onboard computer. We would like to tie the scanner audio to the stereo in the coach.

Where should the antenna be located in order to provide the best performance? Should it be placed as far away from electronics and engine compartment as possible? How about other antennas?

Our onboard computer does not have a serial connection. Can I assume that the USB cable offered by Uniden is our only option? Will a standard USB cable work?

There looks like there are three possible jacks available for connecting audio equipment; Phones, Rec and Ext Spkr - all are 3.5mm jacks. We need a connection to the PC for possible recording and we need a connection to the car stereo for casual listening.

The phones are a stereo jack, 30mW nominal into a 32 ohm speaker. The Extension Speaker is monaural type jack and I think it is 2.6W nominal into 8 ohm speaker but I am not sure. The Rec is stereo type jack but there is no mention of how this jack is powered. I don’t know if I should connect it to the microphone or audio in jack.

To enable recording there are two options that need to be set; setting System Record (all channels) and Set Record (on). Will this alone send a continuous audio feed out the REC jack no matter what channel the scanner is currently on or do I have to specify each channel or group that I would like to record?

I could test through this stuff myself but we don’t have the scanner yet and we are engineering these pieces to work together prior to their arrival.

Thank you …

… tim

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Where should the antenna be located in order to provide the best performance? Should it be placedur antenna shoay from electronics and engine compartment as possible? How about other antennas?

I think you answered your own questions there. Your antenna selection should be fine.

Our onboard computer does not have a serial connection. Can I assume that the USB cable offered by Uniden is our only option? Will a standard USB cable work?

You can use either one, USB-serial adapters are plentiful these days. The Uniden USB-1 may not be long enough for the connection you need anyway, but it is the only one supported by Uniden if you have connection problems. If you use an adapter, you will also use the included serial cable that came with the radio.

There looks like there are three possible jacks available for connecting audio equipment; Phones, Rec and Ext Spkr - all are 3.5mm jacks. We need a connection to the PC for possible recording and we need a connection to the car stereo for casual listening.

For PC recording use the REC out, speaker to an amplified speaker would be optimal.

The phones are a stereo jack, 30mW nominal into a 32 ohm speaker. The Extension Speaker is monaural type jack and I think it is 2.6W nominal into 8 ohm speaker but I am not sure. The Rec is stereo type jack but there is no mention of how this jack is powered. I don’t know if I should connect it to the microphone or audio in jack.

The microphone jack is usually used for soundcard recording on a PC.

To enable recording there are two options that need to be set; setting System Record (all channels) and Set Record (on). Will this alone send a continuous audio feed out the REC jack no matter what channel the scanner is currently on or do I have to specify each channel or group that I would like to record?

Per the manual: "In order for the function to operate, you must set the channel to record. You must also set the system’s record option to either All Channel, which will record all channels regardless of any channel’s setting, or Marked Channel which only lets recording occur if you have selected record for that channel. Which you choose will depend on various factors."

timenright

Thank you for the thoughtful reply! I will try to comment on the results of the install when it is completed ...

... tim

Status
Not open for further replies.