BCD996T Quick Key Problem

topgun260

Some systems I cannot turn off using Quick Keys while scanning. The system numbers in question show up on the display after "SO:" but when I press the keypad number corresponding to the system number Quick Key nothing happens. The system continues to scan. This doesn't happen with all programmed systems as some of the others work fine as I am able to turn them on and off during scanning by pressing the corresponding Quick Key.

I also have one system I cannot turn on while scanning. It just shows the asterisk for that system but pressing the corresponding Quick Key does nothing.

What am I missing here? Not new to the 996T as I've had it for several years. Did I inadvertently change something in the settings that would cause this? Is there a way to "lock out" a system so that it can't be turned on and off via Quick Key while scanning?

I'm currently using ProScan for programming but also have FreeScan available.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Any chance you may have duplicate systems in your scanner? One assigned a System Quick Key but the duplicate does not. When you turn off the System Quick Key, that system is off, but the duplicate is still on. That's because it doesn't have a Quick Key.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Some systems I cannot turn off using Quick Keys while scanning.
Here is another possibility. If a trunked system has multiple sites, all sites in the system must be turned off for the system to stop scanning. One of the sites may not have a quick key. In that case, the system cannot be turned off. See if this PDF file helps to answer your questions.

Attachments

• Uniden Scanner Quick Key Instructions DMA.pdf
    11 KB · Views: 3

topgun260

Any chance you may have duplicate systems in your scanner? One assigned a System Quick Key but the duplicate does not. When you turn off the System Quick Key, that system is off, but the duplicate is still on. That's because it doesn't have a Quick Key.
Double checked the database, no duplicates.

topgun260

I deleted everything, went through the list and double checked the quick keys and it's still the same. Out of the below list only systems 3, 6 and 9 can be toggled on and off via quick keys. All the rest cannot be turned off via their respective quick key. System 7 is the only one with trunking.CamScanner 11-04-2022 09.13.jpg

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Is the keypad working? 3, 6, 9 vertical row okay but what about 1, 4, & 7 and 2, 5, & 8 rows. Can you toggle the SQK's via the virtual keypad in ProScan?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Is the keypad working? 3, 6, 9 vertical row okay but what about 1, 4, & 7 and 2, 5, & 8. Can you toggle the SQK's via the virtual keypad in ProScan?
I noticed the same thing and was preparing my post at the same time. The fact that the 3 buttons working are all in the same column indicates a problem scanning the keypad matrix. If virtual control works, I would remove the cover from the scanner and clean and reseat all of the plugs and cables going to the front panel. Ribbon cables are often the problem.