BCD996XT/BCD396XT and RH96 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1234

I drive a Honda Element.

I would like to mount the scanner in the rear of the car (cargo area) and plug the scanner into the outlet in the back of the car. I would then like to run a cable up to the front of the car for a remote head. My question then, will it hurt the scanner if the scanner's power is turned on and off with the car. This is the only way I know how to get around the fact that the remote head does not control the scanner's power.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for a better way to mount the scanner in a Honda Element, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the advice and help in advance!

Julian1

RH 96 / 996 Power On/Off

Doing that with mine right now. I don't know how else Uniden would expect one to power off the 996. If you could reach the volume knob to turn it on/off, you likely wouldn't need the RH-96. :)

You'll like using the RH. I'm very pleased with mine.

Good luck with your installation!!

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Rh-96

I agree with your idea and the others - I've has my 396XT professionally installed (NMO antenna, etc.) and the scanner is located in my glove compartment WITH THE BATTERIES REMOVED. The RH-96 is mounted on my console and both the scanner and the remote head come on with the car's ignition. Has worked great for 2 years with no problems at all.

ENJOY!

FDNYbuffL132

I have my BCD996XT in my trunk, i have a cig plug in my trunk hooked to my fuse box and my scanner lighter plug is pluged in the trunk, my remote head is on my dash, i got a wire to make the remote head cable longer from Radioshack all it is, is an audio cable. I pluged the cable that came with the scanner into the scanner and the audio plug end goes into the cable i got from Radioshack then to the remote head! so i made it longer then 10'. it works for me scanner turns off when i shut the car off!!

slypx

Quebec DB Adm
Premium Subscriber
Same here and really love using it.

Since November I have a BCD996T installed in the trunk and RH-96 in the front console. It is power up with the ignition switch as suggested by Uniden so that the backlight is diming with the car lights .... No problem except that out here it's winter time and the LCD is very slow to warm up when the temperature is in the 30's F or below and we get that every single day from December to March ... The scanner works fine, sounds right and changing quick keys is not a problem ... it is only the speed which the LCD display on the RH-96 is reacting that is affected. It might also be affected on the BCD996T, and since the scanner is installed facing front to protect it's front end, I have no plan of seating in the trunk soon at 20 degrees to see that :) - LOL

As for the power, it's surely not more damaging then having a GPS or satelitte radio being connected to the front outlet and being power up every time the ignition is switch on... and I have both ... without a glitch.

If you feel more comfortable, you could install a remote trigger switch around your driving position to activate the 12 V back outlet.

Even if it is a "open area" SUV, you might want to consider to install a remote speaker in the front. Be sure to choose the right quality of speaker if you install one.

Has for the antenna, there's nothing like a good outside antenna. I have a Larsen 150/400/800 trunk NMO mounted antenna and it "pulls" signals like I like ! I've install a BNC "T" connector and brought a wired connector in front to connect my BCD396XT when I need it.

Have fun and I'm sure you will enjoy it !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.