BCD396XT/BCD996XT: BCD996XT for $99 at Radio Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Radio Shack Sale

I bought a 996XT for $99 and a Pro-106 for $83 today from the Radio Shack in Marshall Michigan. Both were brand new locked in the display case. Last of each one.

I stopped at 2 more stores in the area one had no scanners, one had the 996 for $469. I called 4 more and one had one for $369.

The 996 had the latest firmware the 106 had to be updated one level up.

I'm amazed anyone still had a Pro-106 in stock.

Les

See my comments in this thread - http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tavern/291245-just-brag.html

I call BS on the $99 996XT until someone can state where they are finding these deals and posts pictures of the receipt with the RS item number clearly visible.

coolderb

I bought a 996XT for $99 and a Pro-106 for $83 today from the Radio Shack in Marshall Michigan. Both were brand new locked in the display case. Last of each one.

I stopped at 2 more stores in the area one had no scanners, one had the 996 for $469. I called 4 more and one had one for $369.

The 996 had the latest firmware the 106 had to be updated one level up.

I'm amazed anyone still had a Pro-106 in stock.

Les

That is a great deal! That's why I always go to any Radio Shack wherever I go. You never know what they will have on clearance. I bought a wireless Schlage IP security camera for $29 last year. I had to change the firmware to another brand in order for it to work without a subscription fee but it works great now.

My dad laughs at me because I have been going to Radio Shack several times per week since the 1970's, lol

buggiecar

W1COD
Premium Subscriber
I'm a Mac Guy Too...but...

I have a partition on my Macbook Pro with Windows 7 on it....programming never an issue..best of both worlds!

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
996XT

You might start by calling around. I just got lucky stopping in a a few and one had one of each. I called others and the 996XT was $369. You have to just keep looking.

Les

Does anyone else think I will be able to find a 106 or a 996xt at any other RadioShack

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I've been calling the local radioshacks by me and the 106/197 is normal price and the unidens are normal prices also. I call every few days see they got 106/197 for sale or clearance.

evan

Database Admin
Found one in Nashville, TN for $262. It was missing the antenna so she discounted it another 10% which made it close to $230. Oddly enough, two other nearby RS had them for much different prices-one was $350, the other $399.

coolderb

I have a partition on my Macbook Pro with Windows 7 on it....programming never an issue..best of both worlds!

VMWare Fusion doesn't require partitioning or rebooting to use Windows on the Mac.

Last edited:

afremont

Premium Subscriber
I got one for $125 today + three $10 coupons

I just bought a BCD996XT from Amazon last week for $400 and thought I got an OK deal, but the one they shipped me was more than well used. I guess it had been to a couple of people before me since the tabs on the box were almost worn out from opening and closing them. It had the rubber feet installed and was programmed for WV apparently. The CD had writing on the sleeve to identify the model and it was missing about half the cardboard packing material. Pathetic to say the least for $400 and supposed to be NEW. I'll be taking this up with Amazon now that I have some real leverage.

As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now the rest of the story".

I was in a local RS store today to get another 800MHz antenna for my old Pro-96. I happened to see an empty box for a 996XT on display along with a clearance price of $175. I had them look around and they came out with a mint radio, still had the plastic over the display. No dust, no scratches and apparently no accessories. I told them what the accessories looked like and they went into the back. A couple minutes later they come out with the accessories package still factory taped. I said I'd take it, and they rang it up for me. It rang up at $125. I'd be happy to supply a copy of the receipt in case anyone wants to call me a liar. I also got three $10 coupons making my total cost $95.

afremont

Premium Subscriber
Hot damn! I think I'm gonna go around RS stores in my area and look for them.

I had them do a store inventory search in Houston and they were the only store with one listed as in stock. Otherwise I'd be posting them for sale here. ;) Good luck though, there has to be more around somewhere. Look for PRO-106 deals too.

afremont

Premium Subscriber
Picked up a PRO-106 today for $150 + 3 more $10 coupons

Since I got such a great deal on the BCD-996XT yesterday, I went back and bought the PRO-106 being clearanced, Paid $150, could have gotten it next week for less than $125 but I figured it would be gone by then. Also got another three $10 coupons making the price $120. :) Mint condition and everything there, looks like it was never powered on before. Can't wait to discuss this with Amazon. If they won't give me at least half my money back, I will send it back and put the $400 I spent on the BCD-996XT towards a PSR-800 or something like that. Since I only paid $125 and got $30 worth of coupons for a mint condition 996XT, I think I'm being more than fair with them given the condition that the "NEW" one arrived in.

uP App VER:RF2.0
DSP App VER:RF1.4
DSP Voc VER:RF1.0

After upgrading the CPU firmware, it now displays

uP App VER:RU2.1
DSP App VER:RF1.4
DSP Voc VER:RF1.0

I take it that the U means updated, and F means factory. Does that sound right to everyone?

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Since I got such a great deal on the BCD-996XT yesterday, I went back and bought the PRO-106 being clearanced, Paid $150

Kinda pricey for clearance. I paid $72.00 plus tax and got two $10 coupons back. Was able to get 3 at that price. All mint too.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

afremont

Premium Subscriber
That's what you paid for the 996XT? Pretty good deal. There aren't any of those even left in Texas as far as I know. There is supposed to be one 106 about 75 miles from me. I'm still happy with the price, especially for mint condition radios. It's a far better deal than I got from Amazon.

DeadMike

These deals are still out there. The trick is many RadioShack locations are independent. The upside is that all shacks can search available stock in surrounding stores. Even if they don't have the item they can transfer it store to store. You will have to pay in advance but its a done deal. Cash out while you can. I just came up on a Pro-405 for $29.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.