BCD396XT/BCD996XT: BCD996XT for $99 at Radio Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subliminal87

I called around to a few local stores, "No store in this region, from like Philly to Harrisburg has them."

He gave me three stores that do have them, one is in deleware, the other two are in PA buy an hour and a half drive. $242. Might as well just buy it off of amazon and save gas.

Or wait and buy the 536 instead and dont buy anything else.

I wanted to pick up the 996xt and 436 for grab and go. Hmm.

fasteddy64

I picked up a 996XT here in Abilene, TX last week for $129. It was a return, no accessories but still in the box, plastic still on the display, works like a champ!

Firefighter6940

Premium Subscriber
You all are lucky. My local radio shack doesn't carry scanners anymore.. It's pretty much all cell phone crap anymore! So disappointing.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Got one today (996xt) for $79.99 + tax. New with plastic on face. No accessories at all not even a power cord, but was able to use one of theirs to make sure it powered on and was able to receive the WX channel using a paperclip.

gillham

Feed Provider
Got one today (996xt) for $79.99 + tax. New with plastic on face. No accessories at all not even a power cord, but was able to use one of theirs to make sure it powered on and was able to receive the WX channel using a paperclip.

Dang that's a good price. I don't recall the last time I stepped foot inside a RadioShack. For for $80 I'd stop in at a couple around me..

safetyobc

My local Radio Shack had quite a few items on clearance - most concentrated at the front of the store, and a few scattered about. I found a BCD996XT for $99.47, marked "limited to stock on hand". I asked if that meant it was a demo. Manager checked the computer, and they had three, new in the box.

One of the three came home with me.

They also had the Pro-197 for $87.47.

The only downside is that now I need to buy a $300 Windows laptop to run the available programming software, as I am a Mac guy, and there is pretty much jack for the Mac. If I'm going to have to buy Windows to run on the Mac, I'll just spend the extra and have a cheap dedicated radio laptop.

I guess I could look at it like I paid full price for the BCD996XT, and got a free laptop. : )

But, the point is, check out your local Radio Shack.

spumwuzzle

Why not just pick up a copy of Windows and run bootcamp on the Mac. It's what I do.

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
Anybody know of a Radio Shack in Georgia or Alabama with one at 99$ let me know. Have not been able to find one yet.

spumwuzzle

Talk about a necropost! I got back from the Dayton Hamvention on Sunday, and decided to drag out a bunch of old radio stuff that had been in storage, including the BCD996XT that (most) everyone called BS on the price. I also located the receipt, tucked into a copy of "Easier To Rerad Uniden XT Scanner Manuals".

The receipt, dated 4/19/2014, listed the item as "2000621 Digital Trunktracker IV Scanner" for $99.97, plus $8.50 sales tax for a total of $108.47.

I was so excited at the time that I didn't pay any attention to the description on the receipt - in retrospect, it was a mistake on Radio Shack's part, as the TrunkTracker IV isn't a BCD996XT, but that's the price they had on the BCD996XT, and that's what I paid.

Attachments

• BCD996XT receipt.jpg
    BCD996XT receipt.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 404

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
BCD996XT was TrunkTracker IV. Although RS did make many mistakes, that didn't happen to be one of them.

spumwuzzle

Well, do tell!

So everyone that called BS/April Fools/Urban Legend on my purchase can go pound sand then?

Delayed gratification, but gratification, nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.