BCT15X: BCT15X hum

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Got a new BCT15X, connected it to a BT transmitter via the headphone jack via a mini-mixer (just like the Uniden it replaced). The BT speaker on the other end started making popping noises intermittently, as I have several radios connected to the system it took disconnecting one at a time to find the culprit (it was the new 15X). Disconnected it from the mixer and the popping (and now hum) was still present on the internal speaker even at zero volume.

Anyone else experience audio issues on a 15X?

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Oh yeah, please don't tell me it's the mixer or BT transmitter or cables or BT interference or the BT speaker. TIA

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
So you are running the headphone jack to the mini mixer and output of mixer to a bluetooth transmitter?

And you replaced a 15x with a new one and this happened?

Why did the old one get replaced?

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
So you are running the headphone jack to the mini mixer and output of mixer to a bluetooth transmitter?

And you replaced a 15x with a new one and this happened?
Si. But it didn't show up until a few days later.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
My first thoughts would have been maybe a ground loop issue popped something in the 15x...
I have a ground loop isolator inline. And unless the audio circuit changed from the 15 to the 15x the 15 it replaced worked just fine.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I have a ground loop isolator inline. And unless the audio circuit changed from the 15 to the 15x the 15 it replaced worked just fine.
Well that eliminates a ground loop issue then...
Even if the audio circuit changed, that shouldn't be affected by an isolation xfmer...
You running all the radios from one common power supply?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Got a new BCT15X, connected it to a BT transmitter via the headphone jack via a mini-mixer (just like the Uniden it replaced). The BT speaker on the other end started making popping noises intermittently, as I have several radios connected to the system it took disconnecting one at a time to find the culprit (it was the new 15X). Disconnected it from the mixer and the popping (and now hum) was still present on the internal speaker even at zero volume.

Anyone else experience audio issues on a 15X?
Is there any specific information that indicates that this model required different Hardware, secondary to supply shortages?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Try unplugging the BT. Do you hear hum on the internal speaker? If so, it may be a filter cap or voltage regulator problem. The fact that is just started indicates it may be a component failure. Check your cables that there are no shorts.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Kevin what happens if you use the RECORD OUT on the back?
You may have to mass turn on RECORD ALL to pass all audio.
I don't believe I could control the volume that way, plus I wouldn't hear the beeps or alerts. And I'm returning it anyway.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Try unplugging the BT. Do you hear hum on the internal speaker? If so, it may be a filter cap or voltage regulator problem. The fact that is just started indicates it may be a component failure. Check your cables that there are no shorts.
Well, let's see...

Disconnected it from the mixer and the popping (and now hum) was still present on the internal speaker even at zero volume.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
I appreciate all the suggestions, but I wasn't looking for troubleshooting assistance as I'm pretty darn sure I've done it all (I'm not as dumb as I look, I couldn't be). I was just asking if anyone else has had audio issues with a 15X

tvengr

Well Known Member
Try unplugging the AC adapter and run off of battery power. The fact that you are hearing a pop indicates there may be a leakage path between the AC source and the antenna or power ground, That can set up a time constant and cause pops at a regular interval. Anytime you are dealing with multiple pieces of equipment connected together can cause all kinds of audio problems. If your mixer has a grounded power plug, try plugging it into an adapter to disconnect the ground pin. You can try the same thing if your scanner AC adapter has a grounded plug.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Try unplugging the AC adapter and run off of battery power. The fact that you are hearing a pop indicates there may be a leakage path between the AC source and the antenna or power ground, That can set up a time constant and cause pops at a regular interval. Anytime you are dealing with multiple pieces of equipment connected together can cause all kinds of audio problems. If your mixer has a grounded power plug, try plugging it into an adapter to disconnect the ground pin. You can try the same thing if your scanner AC adapter has a grounded plug.
I have multiple radios on the same antenna system (elaborate filtered/amplified/multi-coupled setup) and none have issues, including the one the 15X replaced.

None of the attached equipment has a grounded plug except the UPS everything is plugged into.

I have multiple radios on the mini-mixer (which is USB powered) and none have issues, including the one the 15X replaced.

I’m not looking to fix this because as I said I’m sending it back. The existing setup has worked flawless for many, many months now so I highly doubt it’s a design issue. I was just curious if anyone has had audio issues with their 15X.