BCT15X vs WS1065

Uniden BCT15X vs Whistler WS1065

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pr999

WRYF747
Premium Subscriber
What is better in terms of programmability, sensitivity, usability, mobility, and quality?

Either will be used to listen to analog systems.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
What is better in terms of programmability, sensitivity, usability, mobility, and quality?

Either will be used to listen to analog systems.
If you are going to use the scanner strictly for analog, then either scanner would work. I would lean toward the BCT15X, It has a larger memory capacity, and you have 100 quick keys to work with. versus 20 scan lists for the WS1065. The BCT15X has a larger capacity active memory for programming channels. While the WS1065 is limited to 1800 objects per scanlist, you have do have 22 V-folders, each of which can hold up to 1800 channels, giving a total capacity of 39.000 objects, though you can only listen to one of these at a time.

There is no free software for the WS1065, though you can purchase PSREdit500, Win500, or ARC500. As a Premium Subscriber, you can import what channels you want from the database.

For the BCT15X, since you are dealing with analog, you can use the discontinued (but free) FreeSCAN for programming. It will let you import from the RadioReference database when programming as long as you remain a Premium Subscriber. ProScan, @$50, is a better choice for software. It is well supported here in the forums, and the developer is very active in responding to issues, and also releasing updated versions of the software. ProScan can also be used for many different Uniden models, including some that were discontinued quite some time ago.

The BCT15X is about $100 cheaper than the WS1065..

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I concur with everything hiegtx said. I'll add that the BCT15X display has it all over the WS-1065. Not only is the display bigger, but it's also brighter can display much more information with larger fonts. You're allow enough characters to have full words, meaningful descriptions rather than some kind of abbreviated words that aren't self explanatory. I also think it's built better too.

I think the Whistler WS-1065 is a little more sensitive but actually too sensitive and can be easily be overloaded.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
I have owned both and the BCT15X is my choice for analog. The display has larger font, separated volume and squelch knobs, and to me is a lot more flexible to program however you set up your areas, depts, agencies etc. The keypad is less cluttered also. It is pretty much bullet proof as far as reliability.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I also would buy the 15X , I have the RS 197 which is I think a 1065 but it has intermodal problems with outside scanner antenna hooked to it where t Uniden are cleaner , this is just my observation after 10 years of using them....

Pr999

WRYF747
Premium Subscriber
I will have another thread to determine what scanner would be best for road tripping. This time, It will be for digital systems; primarily P25.

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
i agree with the others I have 2- 15xs stacked on top of each other and I want to try or buy a 1065 but I do hear rumors the 1065 or say 1040 by Whistler has problems and failure compared to the Uniden, i could be wrong but I love the 15x as it's easy to program with freescan and 2 is if you don't wanna program then just use the build in scan list to the police/ fire, marine channel banks and more then let it scan those, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.