BDC536 Programing Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatman1

Ok, I have read the threads and the useless owners manual twice but i still cant figure out the programing of this unit. I will say I'm accustomed to PSR-800 computer programing and can perform that programing without issues. Listed below are few issues I just cant figure out.

Why when i set my zip and (40 mile) radius on basic programing i get sites all over Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, Alabama etc once the scanner loads using the zip method? Why dont i just get the close ones

I cant get favorites to scan correctly when i manually load them. Im struggling when i put in three counties such as McMinn County then (sub police, ems,fire) what is the proper way to set quick keys and config key?

The is I go to TPH as a Second favorites how should that Quick Key be set? I just dont understant the quick key and number tag stuff at all.

Why when I load from the Sentential database do i not get the frequency listings as the scanner scans verses just the name of the site? On my PSR when you add detail you will automatically get the frequencies numbers.Is the only way to get frequency numbers to show up on the 536 to the load the all manually?

Im getting transferred data to scanner but i just cant 100% of what Im trying to get. I'm about 3 steps i think from where I need to be to get the process correct but i cant figure out those three missing steps.

Thanks for the help, I'm out of videos to watch and options at this point.

lindsay34654

Ok, I have read the threads and the useless owners manual twice but i still cant figure out the programing of this unit. I will say I'm accustomed to PSR-800 computer programing and can perform that programing without issues. Listed below are few issues I just cant figure out.

Why when i set my zip and (40 mile) radius on basic programing i get sites all over Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, Alabama etc once the scanner loads using the zip method? Why dont i just get the close ones

I cant get favorites to scan correctly when i manually load them. Im struggling when i put in three counties such as McMinn County then (sub police, ems,fire) what is the proper way to set quick keys and config key?

The is I go to TPH as a Second favorites how should that Quick Key be set? I just dont understant the quick key and number tag stuff at all.

Why when I load from the Sentential database do i not get the frequency listings as the scanner scans verses just the name of the site? On my PSR when you add detail you will automatically get the frequencies numbers.Is the only way to get frequency numbers to show up on the 536 to the load the all manually?

Thanks for the help, I'm out of videos to watch and options at this point.

on this is why are you setting your distance for 40 miles it goes by air miles I do not know what kind of traffic your area has but it the other areas have more traffic they will transmit more and you could miss out on things in your area. back down the distance and see what happens. I would start out at 15 miles and go up from there. plus are you using an outside antenna or an inside. if you are using an outside for local I would start at 10 miles out. I run a mobile antenna and run my distance at 0 and still pick up 3 to 4 counties depending on the weather. let me know how you make out.

lindsay34654

on this why are you setting your distance for 40 miles it goes by air miles I do not know what kind of traffic your area has but it the other areas have more traffic they will transmit more and you could miss out on things in your area. back down the distance and see what happens. I would start out at 15 miles and go up from there. plus are you using an outside antenna or an inside. if you are using an outside for local I would start at 10 miles out. I run a mobile antenna and run my distance at 0 and still pick up 3 to 4 counties depending on the weather. let me know how you make out.

Seymourmtn

Premium Subscriber
Itennessee programming

If you loaded TACN, you'll have Anzac, Tn and Ga.
Ypu can always Avoiid them

fire701

Feed Provider
How to get the Truck Group Idenification number. TGID

I have the new BCD536HP and it works great from the data base that is loaded from the sentential software. But in our local county data base for MS on MSWIN APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive our local PD and SO do not have a TGID # so we cannot receive. How can we get the TGID3?

Mac128k

I'm in the same boat as you, Fatman!

I used to think I knew a little about scanners but I am totally lost with my 536. I've figured out how to create favorite lists and give them numbers. When I load them up I get "Scan Mode. Nothing to Scan". Driving me nuts. I want my banks and channels back! :)

I can get the zip scan to work but it isn't what I want to hear. I just want it like I used to have it. My local PD, Fire etc setup in a way that I can listen to one, the other or both.

The manual is a shame. Just useless, sadly.

Fatman1

I'm in the same boat as you, Fatman!

I used to think I knew a little about scanners but I am totally lost with my 536. I've figured out how to create favorite lists and give them numbers. When I load them up I get "Scan Mode. Nothing to Scan". Driving me nuts. I want my banks and channels back! :)

I can get the zip scan to work but it isn't what I want to hear. I just want it like I used to have it. My local PD, Fire etc setup in a way that I can listen to one, the other or both.

The manual is a shame. Just useless, sadly.

Well I finally got the favorites to load and I have the active banks! Yea!!
I still can't get frequencies (the numbers) to show on screen, and the truth is I don't believe they will using the software to load favorites. I believe the only way to get them to show is to manually enter each one of them individually.

If I'm incorrect someone please advise me.

Last edited:

1Partsman

Fatman1....even though the display is smaller, switch from the 3 line display to the other, and the frequency will show on the bottom line....

John

1Partsman

mac128k....just saw your post above....there is a post, and I think by UPMan, that tells about the "nothing to scan" problem.....probably at the start of one of the 536 discussions....I think it is simple to solve....
John

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Scanners have come a long way since the days of shoving in crystals and away you go. It seems that with every new generation of scanners the learning curve steepens because there are so many new things coming in to play. It makes the hobby fun - but only after you get past the frustrations of learning new things. For me, I'm still learning new things too. I know more this week than I did last week and I'm sure there is even more for me to learn, which I will.

I take your posts to read that you are able to receive "things" with the full database turned on after setting your location (zipcode). Now you want to distill selected "things" into Favorites List(s), which I'm presuming that you have created with the Sentinel sofware and have assigned Quick Keys to the Favorites List(s), System(s) within the Favorites List(s) and Department(s).

More often than not the "Nothing to Scan" message is seen because none of the Quick Keys are turned on or Systems, Departments or channels are avoided.

If you look at the top two rows of your display and you see asterisks, that means the problem could be Quick Keys are off. If you do not see asterisks, then get into Sentinel and clear any Systems, Departments or channels that are set for "Avoid". (Once you get a better handle on the scanner and Sentinel, you can set the avoids as desired).

A couple of other things to check using Sentinel. Use the Profile Editor to see if your Favorites List(s) have the Monitor On selected and Download On. Also confirm that you've checked the appropriate Service Types you wish to scan. (For now it wouldn't hurt to check them all, including the Custom Service Types until you get that better handle on the scanner and Sentinel).

Then after making changes in your profile (if needed) and changes in your Favorites List(s), write them to the scanner.

Most importantly, keep the faith! Since you are familiar with banks and channels from previous scanners, you've shown the ability to master some concepts. With this new generation of scanners, there are additional concepts to master.

Fatman1

What did you have to do to get it to scan once you loaded the favorites? I still have nothing.

I basically guessed but here is what I think I did.

Check to make sure locations are assigned to download and monitor in software under profiles I think. You must check each line item. Assign them a number in software

Turn scanner off, plug in USB, follow prompt to hit (yes) on mass database, turn scanner on, write files to scanner, turn scanner off, unplug USB, turn scanner back on

Go to scanner menu after you download, go to manage channels to scan and enable all the banks you have items in.

This is very crude directions from a rookie so I hope it works.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
More often than not, a scanner "not working" is due to something very simple such as a check box not being checked or something turned off. Whenever we discover the issue, we slap our heads.

But when you think about it, the only folks that know the scanners backwards and forwards in the beginning are those who designed/engineered them. The rest of us have to play "catch-up" to what they know. That takes time and usually involves a great deal of frustration on occasion. I'm sure the designers and engineers had their frustrations too, getting the scanners to perform as desired during the design phase.

Looking back at cell phones, in the beginning all we had to do was enter a number and push send. That was all that was needed to get everything the phone had to offer. Nowadays cell phones do phone calls, surfing, text messaging, photos, are calculators, play games and a whole host of other things. We had a learning curve with them too and got our arms around it. That's the same thing we have to do with the scanners.

lacadien72

Premium Subscriber
More often than not the "Nothing to Scan" message is seen because none of the Quick Keys are turned on or Systems, Departments or channels are avoided.

You are right about the Quick Keys. One other thing to check are the Service Types. When you scroll the list of Service Types in the scanner (Select Service Types), you will see the services types enabled (On), the ones disabled (Off) and the ones not in use in your favorite lists (---).

Only 5 Service Types are enabled by default... not sure of the logic reason behind this. If you add a new frequency, and assign it a Service Types that was not previously used in one of your favorite lists, the Service Type in the scanner will change from "---" to "Off" (disabled). You will have to enable it. I personnally think it would make more sense if all Service Types were enabled by default. This is just a suggestion :)

In summary, there are 2 things to check if you get "Nothing to Scan" or if some frequencies are not scanned: Service Types (Select Service Type) and Quick Keys (Manage Quick Key Status)

Mac128k

Thank you!

You've all been very helpful. It seems to have been a mix of quick keys and service type. It still isn't perfect but I am scanning now which was half the battle.
As long as I scanning then it is just a matter of trial and error to start figuring more out.

I have a long road ahead of me but I am starting to not regret my decision to by both the 536 and 436 now :)

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I imagine you are just like a whole lot of us. Frustration in the beginning, a little learning and experience, improvements come and frustration ebbs. After more learning and experience you'll become quite happy.

Main ingredients to satisfactoion are patience and time along with accepting first efforts may not be the best work but that comes eventually!

Status
Not open for further replies.