Best Antenna for LA County

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber
I have a PRO 106 and am using it in the Palmdale/Lancaster area. I purchased an RS 800Mhz antenna for it but haven't really noticed any increase in reception. I heard it is great for higher frequencies, though.

Being that this area is not digital yet, what antenna would help me get better reception here in Palmdale?

Thanks,

JT

fineshot1

I have a PRO 106 and am using it in the Palmdale/Lancaster area. I purchased an RS 800Mhz antenna for it but haven't really noticed any increase in reception. I heard it is great for higher frequencies, though.

Being that this area is not digital yet, what antenna would help me get better reception here in Palmdale?

Thanks,

JT

Your question is confusing. What does an analog or digital station/system have to do with
whether an antenna will receive it better or not? Antennas are mode indipendant and more
frequency resonant.

DPD1

It depends on what bands you listen to the most. I don't think there's much 800 stuff happening around there. The county stuff is mostly 400, then you've got the FD VHF tacs. Then you've also got air stuff on VHF and UHF. So if you're into that, then that's 4 bands you'd want to focus on, or as close as you can get. If you're just talking about a hand held antenna, then just get a Diamond RH77 and you're done. If you want an outdoor antenna, then it gets more complicated.

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber
Your question is confusing. What does an analog or digital station/system have to do with
whether an antenna will receive it better or not? Antennas are mode indipendant and more
frequency resonant.

Your answer is confusing, your talking to a newbie.

Last edited:

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber
DPD1,

Thank you for grasping the intent of the question. Your answer was concise and informative. You answered my original query as well as other questions I had in queue. I really appreciate it.

Thanks!

n5ims

To help explain, the modulation type used by a station (AM, FM, the various digital modes) is important to the radio circutry but not to the antenna. The antenna generally only cares about what frequency range is used.

For example, if your local police use the 400 MHz band (generally called UHF), you need an antenna that will cover the 400 MHz band. If the police changes from regular analog to a trunked system, the same antenna will still work. When they migrate this trunked system to a digital system, the antenna will still work just as well. Where you may need to change antennas is if they move from a 400 MHz system to an 800 MHz system.

Based on what DPD1 indicated in his post, you'll need a dual band antenna that covers UHF (400 MHz) and VHF-Hi (150 MHz) for best results. The antenna he mentioned should work well for you. Since he does antennas for a living, his advice should be given quite a bit of weight and is normally spot on.

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber
n5ims,

Another very informative post.

Having just entered into the scanner world last week I am gleaning much from these kind of replies. There is a plethora of resources with A LOT of details. It is quite a daunting task to assimilate everything quickly.

The basic information you provided is what every newbie loves to get ahold of.

I am grateful for the reply!

JT

fineshot1

n5ims,

Another very informative post.

Having just entered into the scanner world last week I am gleaning much from these kind of replies. There is a plethora of resources with A LOT of details. It is quite a daunting task to assimilate everything quickly.

The basic information you provided is what every newbie loves to get ahold of.

I am grateful for the reply!

JT

Sorry - It was late and I did not realize your newbie status.

Antenna Resonance = Antenna tuned to a specific freq range.

Status
Not open for further replies.