• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1000 Best charger for HT1000 batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyman2002

Premium Subscriber
Hello friends! This is my first post in this Forum.

I own three VHF Motorola HT1000's that I have for Amateur Radio use.

Recently, my NTN8831A charger stopped working.

My friend recommended that I get a brand new Impres WPLN4114AR, as it was considered to be quite the upgrade from what I had.

To my surprise, The Impres charger, although they slid right in, would not charge my Motorola Batteries nor my generic ones. It just angrily flashed red.

I'm currently without the radio until I can find something that will be kind to my batteries.

I'm well aware of the reliability of the generic VS OEM Motorola batteries, but I'd like to find something that will charge both, safely.

If anyone could recommend one that is compatable, I'd appreciate it!

-73's

-Sky.

mbnv992

That impress charger that was recommended
( WPLN4114 ) IS the best charger for the Jedi batteries. That is what I’ve been using since they came out in the mid 2000’s and they work great. If it’s flashing red it’s trying to tell you your batteries are crapped out and need new batteries.

This charger also can charger Saber and XTS batteries as well. It is also a tri-chemistry ( Li-ion, NiMh, and Ni-Cad ) charger, as well as impress.

Skyman2002

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if I got a Dud charger in this case? The 4114 I had wouldn't charge any of the 7 batteries I had on hand, many are still in the box.

-Sky.

That impress charger that was recommended
( WPLN4114 ) IS the best charger for the Jedi batteries. That is what I’ve been using since they came out in the mid 2000’s and they work great. If it’s flashing red it’s trying to tell you your batteries are crapped out and need new batteries.

This charger also can charger Saber and XTS batteries as well. It is also a tri-chemistry ( Li-ion, NiMh, and Ni-Cad ) charger, as well as impress.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I wonder if I got a Dud charger in this case? The 4114 I had wouldn't charge any of the 7 batteries I had on hand, many are still in the box.

-Sky.

Could be.

I've been using the same charger since the 1990's with MTS-2000's, HT-1000's and JT-1000's. Never had an issue.

Make sure the batteries are warm and you are not doing this out in your garage or something.

Skyman2002

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that info!

What firmware does your charger run?

Could be.

I've been using the same charger since the 1990's with MTS-2000's, HT-1000's and JT-1000's. Never had an issue.

Make sure the batteries are warm and you are not doing this out in your garage or something.

Skyman2002

Premium Subscriber
Update: I believe my issue may have been outdated Firmware on the charging base... This begs the question: How does one go about updating the Firmware on something like this?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You haven't mentioned the make and model of the batteries you're trying to charge, or the current firmware level of the charger itself.

I've charged Jedi series HNN9028AR 1550 mAh NiCD IMPRES batteries with no issues in several WPLN4111 chargers, all with various firmware levels (3.00, 3.10, 3.40, and 3.90)

Most of the more recent firmware updates for that charger have dealt with APX battery issues, not older Jedi series batteries.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree.
I'm using old chargers that likely have old/original firmware from the 2000's in them. They have never been updated.
I'm running non-Impress batteries in them, and even after market batteries with no issue.

Where you'll sometimes get the flashing red light is if the batteries are too cold or if you are trying to charge with the radio turned on.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I'm still going with dud batteries. I use bunch of those and older rack chargers which have the same board as the single with no issues.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
@Skyman2002 Try cleaning the charger's contacts with a pencil eraser, they could have dirt or oxidation preventing full contact with the batteries.

Where you'll sometimes get the flashing red light is if the batteries are too cold or if you are trying to charge with the radio turned on.
The flashing red indicates a fault; flashing amber indicates too cold/too hot/low voltage.

1617566276167.png

1617566333240.png

Skyman2002

Premium Subscriber
Lots of really good info here, thank you all for your input. Most of the batteries that I have are the

"Motorola WPNN4013A" NIMH and "Power Works 7144MHXXT-PW" NIMH.

The firmware on my charger is 3.40.

Regardless of whether they are connected to the radio or not, when they are placed into the Cradle, the red light flashes.

Skyman2002

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know of a service available that could update the base to the most recent firmware?

I'd have no trouble shipping.

K2NEC

Why are you looking to upgrade the firmware? It was already stated that the firmware won't make a difference for older batteries. Newer firmware only affects APX batteries.

Skyman2002

Premium Subscriber
Why are you looking to upgrade the firmware? It was already stated that the firmware won't make a difference for older batteries. Newer firmware only affects APX batteries.

I understand now, I missed those particular posts above.

Thanks.

Skyman2002

Premium Subscriber
Hello friends I just wanted to close out this thread. Some fantastic answers. Here's what has transpired over the past few weeks.

I contacted my friend who I had purchased the impres charger from, and sent it back to him. He opened the charger and after some examination, found a fault where the battery contacts meet the board.

I was sent a second charger, and hey presto, steady red, followed by flashing green, then steady green!

Again, thanks everyone!

mbnv992

Glad you got your charger fixed ! Enjoy. That’s the best single unit charger Motorola has made for these older radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.