best ham radio handheld

lild83

im looking at getting into ham radio but i could use some help on handhelds brand for ham radio any help would be greatly appreciated

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Are you looking for a basic analog handheld?

Are you looking for a handheld that would give you access to digital voice modes?

Are you looking for a handheld that would allow you to use APRS?

lild83

Are you looking for a basic analog handheld?

Are you looking for a handheld that would give you access to digital voice modes?

Are you looking for a handheld that would allow you to use APRS?
i never thought of the different modes i guess thats why i wanted to know which is a good handheld

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
It's a bit complicated for a novice, but the Kenwood TH-D75 has 5 watts on all three bands, APRS, D-Star, Digipeater, iGate, AM/FM/digital, CW/USB/LSB, etc.

A simpler tribander is the Yaesu VX-6R [in North America]. 1.25 meters is only 1.5 watts output, but 1.25 meters isn't very popular [that can be an advantage actually] and is much cheaper for a first radio. 2m/70cm are 5 watts output and it is water resistant and somewhat ruggedized.

I have both and like them. I use the VX-6R when mountain biking due to the small size and lighter weight.

Whatever you pick, get the desk quick charger and RT Systems software for much easier programming. The price is worth it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
im looking at getting into ham radio but i could use some help on handhelds brand for ham radio any help would be greatly appreciated

Kenwood, Icom or Yaesu. Avoid the Chinese crap radios.

Think carefully before purchasing. When I first got my ham ticket, I wanted the "best" radio. It was expensive and after a little bit I found that I wasn't using many of the features. Sometimes simple is better as it allows you to learn about the hobby. Once you've had some time to use it, you'll have a much better idea of what you -really- want. I've watched a lot of people on this site work on their ham license and assume that they needed every single bell and whistle possible, money was no object, only to find out that there were other aspects of amateur radio that were more interesting.

You won't buy one radio and be done. It's an expensive hobby and you will buy a lot of radios. There isn't one radio that does it all, so choose carefully.

tldr; don't blow all your funds on your first radio.

N4KVE

This is like asking what the best vehicle is or what the best restaurant is. Way too many personal opinions affect this and what's best for one will never be the bast for another. I think the OP needs to figure out what he wants or needs then do some research.
I think the best comparison is when someone on a car forum asks “just restored a 69 Camaro, what color should I paint it”?

KC1THE

For major brands, research and consider ICOM, Yaesu, or Kenwood.

For particular radio models, it depends on what you want to do and accomplish (as other's have asked above).

While studying for my first license, I bought a Baofeng UV-5R to get acquainted with amateur radio. I learned to program it using Chirp and listened to local repeaters, local agencies etc. Later, I purchased a Yaesu FT-60R and use RT Systems software to program. It's an older model but still in production and a rock-solid performer (if you don't want or need digital modes).

Others can recommend other models once you let us know your needs.

Good luck whatever you decide and welcome to RadioReference.

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
What are your expectations on the distance in miles you wish/need it to work?
Do you have any amateur repeaters in your area? How far away are they? Are they even used?
Do you plan on talking daily or mostly monitoring?
Do you plan on talking with a specific other person? They would also need to be licensed.
Is there something specifically you want to use the radio for?

Knowing the answers to those questions can help others on a recommendation, or if you would be better served with a mobile radio, or if a GMRS license would better serve your needs. Letting us know your overall “expectations” will really help.

WX9RLT

Top Dawg
The UV-5 and the rest of the garbage Chinese radios are a good way to discourage new hams. They are poorly made, and offer zero manufacturer support. Majority of the audio accessories sound like crap, and are incredibly poorly made.

Well, you do have a valid point.

You get what you pay for.
But I never really had any issues with them.
Other than, if I ragchewed on them awhile, they would get hot.
And sometimes I need to replace it.

I enjoy Yaseu radios.
But the same thing happened there with a $300 Yeasu HT.
Talked on it, it went out and had to be replaced.
Pretty much the same talk time frame.

I would rather be spending $30 everytime, than $300

However, I do agree with you.
It is better to go name brand than cheap stuff.

I was just sharing my personal opinion and experience, on the cheaper stuff.
Because most new hams don't have a lot of money and it is a good start to get on the air.
Until they get enough money to upgrade.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
Kenwood, Icom or Yaesu. Avoid the Chinese crap radios.
Alinco is another reputable brand.

I usually try to remind folks looking for a first ham radio to think about a mobile/base radio vs. a handheld radio. Both have strengths and weaknesses. As an example: You can't generally walk around the house or around the block with a mobile radio. You need to find a suitable antenna and install it properly with a mobile/base radio. (2 Points for the handheld)... (3 Points if adding the need for an external power supply).
But a handheld radio generally hears a lot better than it talks, so the new ham might be frustrated by having reports of 'poor signals' while trying to access repeaters but no explanation from irritable hams who complain. (Point for the Mobile/Base radio).

The discussion can continue indefinitely.

I also recommend that regardless of which type of radio is chosen, to get one with just a few more features than what are of immediate interest, so that the new ham can grow new capabilities without having to buy upgrades too often.

The above may be worth at $.005, but it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ Say it, say 'ENCRYPTION'
Well, you do have a valid point.

You get what you pay for.
But I never really had any issues with them.
Other than, if I ragchewed on them awhile, they would get hot.
And sometimes I need to replace it.

I enjoy Yaseu radios.
But the same thing happened there with a $300 Yeasu HT.
Talked on it, it went out and had to be replaced.
Pretty much the same talk time frame.

I would rather be spending $30 everytime, than $300

However, I do agree with you.
It is better to go name brand than cheap stuff.

I was just sharing my personal opinion and experience, on the cheaper stuff.
Because most new hams don't have a lot of money and it is a good start to get on the air.
Until they get enough money to upgrade.
Never had that kind of an issue, even using hammy rigs.

I've spent many a year packing portables at work, in all weather conditions, I've also not treated my radios with kid gloves either.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Alinco is another reputable brand.

Yes, sort of. Alinco always fell into the "also participated" heading. Yeah, they are a pretty good company, but they haven't kept up and some of their recent stuff looks a lot like rebadged CCR's.

I usually try to remind folks looking for a first ham radio to think about a mobile/base radio vs. a handheld radio. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

I agree 100%. First radio I bought was a hand held. I quickly discovered that it was really poor for checking into nets. Next purchase was a 2 meter mobile with a good antenna on my truck. Worked much better and way easier to use than a portable.