• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Best mobile antenna mount for 2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave

ak7an

Owner of a new 2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, awesome truck. Looking for a strong, durable antenna mount for a dual band VHF/UHF ham radio antenna. Antenna choice I have narrowed down to 2. A Comet SS680SBNMO or the Diamond NR-770 HBNMO. Just wondering what other Jeep owners are using?
Thanks
Ed
AK7AN

OhSixTJ

I’m using a Topsy brand hood mount but currently trying to find the best antenna. Surprisingly, I’m getting better SWR with 1/4 wave 2m antennas and a tram dual band (short with a coil). I also have a Larsen NMO270, Comet 2x4SR, and various other antennas.

I ordered a diamond SG7500NMO to try out. It should be here Wednesday.

scoutcamper

Premium Subscriber
I have built several public safety jeeps with this antenna scheme, JCR Offroad roof rack, then buy a sheet of stainless steel, drill it and put NMO's in it. This seems to work better than any other antenna install I have seen done on jeeps. IMG_1824-min.jpg

ak7an

I have built several public safety jeeps with this antenna scheme, JCR Offroad roof rack, then buy a sheet of stainless steel, drill it and put NMO's in it. This seems to work better than any other antenna install I have seen done on jeeps. View attachment 159623

That looks very functional. Since Jeeps don't seem to have much metal for GP it is hard to make an antenna perform. I don't believe I will be going that route tho.
Thanks
Ed
AK7AN

OhSixTJ

Got the SG7500 thrown on and it tests really well. Below 1.4:1 across 2m and 1.9:1 is the highest I saw on 70cm. It did not test well on GMRS frequencies.

ak7an

I looked at the Larsen NMO2/70 open coil and the SG7500. I really like the Larsen, we use Larsen products on our work vehicles. The main reason I am leaning toward the Comet SS680 is its 27.5 in length. I might do a mock up of the Larsen length and see what it look like. I know shorter is less but am trying to keep the Jeep aesthetically pleasing as possible for my XYL.. who thought I was going to drill a hole in the fiberglass top... o_O HHMMMMMM.... now build an aluma tape ground plane under it.... Probably work good.
Ed
AK7AN

OhSixTJ

the Larsen is hardly noticeable….

Attachments

• IMG_2731.jpeg
    IMG_2731.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2730.jpeg
    IMG_2730.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 22

ak7an

the Larsen is hardly noticeable….
Oh wow, Nice Rubi.. I did a Height comparison with 3 different antenna lengths and I have changed my mind on antenna selection. I have used the Diamond NR770H for years and it has served me well.. If I use the bolt closest to the door on the lower cowl cover the antenna would be strict across from the AM/FM antenna and almost the identical height, and I know these antennas perform great with no GP.
Ed
AK7AN

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I would just ditch the Jeep and get a Tacoma ;)
Gladiator kicks Tacoma butt in off road and in many other places. Especially the Mojave where Jeep spent about 2yrs fine tuning the suspension for high speed off road. There is about $7k of Fox suspension parts on a Mojave plus beefed up frame. Plus the Gladiator is completely RF quiet for radio installs. Zero detectable noise on HF or any band.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Gladiator kicks Tacoma butt in off road and in many other places. Especially the Mojave where Jeep spent about 2yrs fine tuning the suspension for high speed off road. There is about $7k of Fox suspension parts on a Mojave plus beefed up frame. Plus the Gladiator is completely RF quiet for radio installs. Zero detectable noise on HF or any band.
I’ll stick to my taco. It’s paid for , although the HF is crap cause of the garbage PWM fuel pump, it’s never turned on anyway.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Gladiator kicks Tacoma butt in off road and in many other places.
I've never been a fan of Jeep quality control (more like lack of quality control).

Admittedly, I've only owned one Jeep product (a 2004 Liberty), but I had a lot of Jeep-driving clients on my 4WD tours and the general build quality was unimpressive. Maybe their new corporate overlords improved things. :rolleyes:

scoutcamper

Premium Subscriber
Where did you route the cables to inside?
I ran them down between the bed and cab(since I have the camper shell there to zip tie them to) and then ran them in through the drain plug in the floor. On the actual Wranglers I've done the same roof rack install on we drilled a hole in the fiberglass roof like you would have for a lightbar(one of them has a lightbar on it too)

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I've never been a fan of Jeep quality control (more like lack of quality control).

Admittedly, I've only owned one Jeep product (a 2004 Liberty), but I had a lot of Jeep-driving clients on my 4WD tours and the general build quality was unimpressive. Maybe their new corporate overlords improved things. :rolleyes:
I ended up with a Liberty rental once and agree with your findings, but the Wrangler and Gladiator are completely different vehicles with good track records.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I ended up with a Liberty rental once and agree with your findings, but the Wrangler and Gladiator are completely different vehicles with good track records.
My Liberty was a fun little vehicle to drive--made a decent grocery grabber and go to work car. But it didn't age very well and little things started to go wrong, like 3 our of 4 (power) window regulators going DOA within a few months of each other.

There were kits if minor fit/finish issues, but a common problem I saw in clients' Wranglers with the cooling system overflow reservoir. On many vehicles, it's just an overflow container that connects to the radiator neck and is not pressurized. It was different on Jeep vehicles--the reservoir was made out of plastic (two halves molded together) and was part of the pressurized cooling system. Over time, the plastic would become brittle at the seam and the container would spring a leak when pressurized, which isn't a good thing to happen when you're 4Wheeling out in BFE.

There wasn't a really good field repair, either. Usually large hose clamps, and maybe sealing tape or Justice Bros. epoxy (along with careful driving), would last long enough to get the vehicle safely back to pavement.

I was amazed the Jeep didn't offer a, OEM replacement pressurized tank made from metal or molded differently.