• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna Recommendations for a Jeep

SublimeHiPpOs

Now I'm thinking about going with a NGP antenna, just to open up more location options to experiment with.

For the antenna I'm thinking either this one:
Or the Midlands MXTA26.

Should I pair it with one of these mounts/cables (not sure exactly what the differences are or how to choose)...

Or should I just go with the Midlands MXTA24?

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at the Bull Bumper Antenna. Aestectically, it'll look kinda "Ghetto" attached to the front bumper but again it's what they do in Australia. Again, there's not that many viable choices with decent a VSWR.
I’m not a fan of the Australia look, although I’ve trashed out many of my vehicles with a stainless steel forest. Most any UHF antenna will match just fine on a hood lip mount, I’ve had a 1/4 wave UHF whip, stacked 5/8 over 5/8 UHF colinear and various dual, tri and quad band commercial antennas on my Jeep and they all worked great.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Now I'm thinking about going with a NGP antenna, just to open up more location options to experiment with.

Personally, I'd recommend this one:

Really high gain antennas can work against you. Start with something basic and see how it works. Less investment and a good all around antenna.

Should I pair it with one of these mounts/cables (not sure exactly what the differences are or how to choose)...

Or should I just go with the Midlands MXTA24?

I don't know who makes the Midland antennas. It is probably not Midland, which would mean they are sourcing them from someone else which leaves a lot of questions. And, $30 for an "unknown" manufacturer mount is downright silly. Especially when you can get a known name brand mount for almost half the price:

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I don't know who makes the Midland antennas. It is probably not Midland, which would mean they are sourcing them from someone else which leaves a lot of questions. And, $30 for an "unknown" manufacturer mount is downright silly. Especially when you can get a known name brand mount for almost half the price:
Here are some Larsen NMO mounts with coax for good prices. eBay is your friend.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Laird mag-mounts have been problematic recently. Even Laird admitted they have had quality control issues and have had a lot of returns on their products. I don't know where they stand today regarding their quality control issues.

SublimeHiPpOs

Personally, I'd recommend this one:

Really high gain antennas can work against you. Start with something basic and see how it works. Less investment and a good all around antenna.

Neither that antenna nor the mount are in stock. Are there other alternatively that you'd recommend? If possible, I'd prefer an antenna that's black rather than chrome. Thanks!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Neither that antenna nor the mount are in stock. Are there other alternatively that you'd recommend? If possible, I'd prefer an antenna that's black rather than chrome. Thanks!

The EMWave antennas are very nice, would be a good choice for what you are doing.

SublimeHiPpOs

Here are some Larsen NMO mounts with coax for good prices. eBay is your friend.

I'm unclear on the connector type on these. Do they have mini-UHF (which I believe is what's on my radio), or FME, or something else I'll need adapters for?

SublimeHiPpOs

The EMWave antennas are very nice, would be a good choice for what you are doing.

Thanks!

I notice that antenna is only 16" tall. I believe I could comfortably run up to 32" before having issues contacting my garage. Would I not benefit from a taller one?

For the mount, I assume this is what I need to connect the FME on the end of the cable to my radio?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm unclear on the connector type on these. Do they have mini-UHF (which I believe is what's on my radio), or FME, or something else I'll need adapters for?

That mount has an FME. That allows you to route the cable without cutting the end off, and then just install the adapter you need.

Mini-UHF connectors are rare on anything other than Motorola radios. You need to be 100% of what you are looking for. Post a photo or model of radio, and we'll be happy to assist.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks!

I notice that antenna is only 16" tall. I believe I could comfortably run up to 32" before having issues contacting my garage. Would I not benefit from a taller one?

Higher gain is not always better. Start with a 'middle of the road' antenna like this and see how it works. Higher gain/longer antennas can work against the performance of your radio. There's more to the decision than just how long the antenna is.

For the mount, I assume this is what I need to connect the FME on the end of the cable to my radio?

A picture is worth a thousand guesses.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
It’s best to route the cable, cut off the excess and install a connector that fits your radio. Or in my case I terminate most of my cables in BNC then use an adapter for some radios and if I only have a handheld with me it’s an easy connection. A BNC to other adapter has virtually no loss below 1GHz.

SublimeHiPpOs

Higher gain is not always better. Start with a 'middle of the road' antenna like this and see how it works. Higher gain/longer antennas can work against the performance of your radio. There's more to the decision than just how long the antenna is.

A picture is worth a thousand guesses.
That makes sense. I guess I was thinking that antenna length and gain weren't 100% correlated. I didn't know if a 32" antenna existed with similar gain to the 16" one that would possibly perform even better?

I have a Retevis RA86.
It looks like it has a UHF/PL259 antenna connection.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It looks like it has a UHF/PL259 antenna connection.

Correct, it appears to be, although it does not state that anywhere that I could find on the webpage or the owners manual.

UHF and mini-UHF are different/non-compatible.

The FME connector was rolled out about 20 years ago as a small connector that was easy to route, and then just used an adapter that would fit the radio. The entire connector package (FME + adapter) is fairly short and lightweight, so it doesn't put a lot of extra strain on the connections.

The BNC connector option that prcguy mentioned above would work just fine, but has a slightly larger diameter. Since he's got a jeep, he could probably tell you if the BNC connector will route easily through available paths.

Ideal situation:
You run the bare cable with no connector attached. Then cut the cable to length and add the correct connector for the radio.

Installing coaxial connectors takes a bit of skill, experience and having the right tools. Not a good fit for your first time.

SublimeHiPpOs

Correct, it appears to be, although it does not state that anywhere that I could find on the webpage or the owners manual.

The FME connector was rolled out about 20 years ago as a small connector that was easy to route, and then just used an adapter that would fit the radio. The entire connector package (FME + adapter) is fairly short and lightweight, so it doesn't put a lot of extra strain on the connections.

The BNC connector option that prcguy mentioned above would work just fine, but has a slightly larger diameter. Since he's got a jeep, he could probably tell you if the BNC connector will route easily through available paths.

Ideal situation:
You run the bare cable with no connector attached. Then cut the cable to length and add the correct connector for the radio.

Installing coaxial connectors takes a bit of skill, experience and having the right tools. Not a good fit for your first time.
I contacted that site about the EMWave and it's not in stock and would take a few weeks to get from them. So I'm thinking about going with this one instead:
The specs look pretty similar, any reason not to go this direction?

Also, I measured a mounting hole in my spare tire carrier that I'd like to try out mounting the antenna to first now and it's right at 5/8" in diameter. Will this work for the mount you recommended or will I likely need to open it to 3/4"?

Thanks again!!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I contacted that site about the EMWave and it's not in stock and would take a few weeks to get from them. So I'm thinking about going with this one instead:

The specs look pretty similar, any reason not to go this direction?

That would work just fine.

Also, I measured a mounting hole in my spare tire carrier that I'd like to try out mounting the antenna to first now and it's right at 5/8" in diameter. Will this work for the mount you recommended or will I likely need to open it to 3/4"?

Thanks again!!

To use the existing hole, you have two easy options:
1. Make the hole larger.
2. Use a mount designed for a 3/8" hole and find some way to keep the mount centered:

prcguy

Premium Subscriber

Ideal situation:

On a Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator there should be an easy access hole and grommet through the firewall on the drivers side about a foot or so below the hood level. Routing cables through the passenger side firewall is a b*tch, the fusebox and battery are in the way.

SublimeHiPpOs

I got the antenna installed, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet though. I have a SWR meter being delivered tomorrow, so I'll be tuning it and testing things out in the next few days! For GMRS use, including repeaters, should I shoot for the 465 MHz for tuning purposes?

I noticed the cut chart says 8 9/16" for 465 MHz, which made me realize that the antenna seemed kind of small for a "15 inch", so I measured it and it's about 12 3/4" from the bottom of the base to the very top. I guess they measure antennas the same way they do TVs, or is it possible I got the wrong one?
Jeep GMRS antenna.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I got the antenna installed, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet though. I have a SWR meter being delivered tomorrow, so I'll be tuning it and testing things out in the next few days! For GMRS use, including repeaters, should I shoot for the 465 MHz for tuning purposes?

Yes. Happy medium. The SWR curve is going to be pretty gentle, so there won't be much of a difference between the 462.xxxx and 467.xxxx

I noticed the cut chart says 8 9/16" for 465 MHz, which made me realize that the antenna seemed kind of small for a "15 inch", so I measured it and it's about 12 3/4" from the bottom of the base to the very top. I guess they measure antennas the same way they do TVs, or is it possible I got the wrong one?

It's always possible they sent the wrong one, but double check the packaging and also check to see if there are any marks under the base coil indicating the model number,
However, the cut chart gives the length for the whip only. The spring adds to that, and probably a bit of the base coil.

Which one did you order?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I noticed the cut chart says 8 9/16" for 465 MHz, which made me realize that the antenna seemed kind of small for a "15 inch"

15 inches would be the length for the lowest designed frequency. At 450MHz, the whip would be 9 5/16th's. Add the length of the coil and the length of the spring, and you're probably pretty close to 15 inches.