Best scanner for zip code programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.
What is the best scanner for simply entering my zip code? Police / fire etc.
I'm looking to stay away from the programming because it looks complex for me.

The Uniden home base 2 looks incredible, but it's 7 years old and I can't believe it's the latest and greatest, so what are my options for something newer than seven years old?

Or is it still the benchmark?

Thank you in advance

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

The Uniden home base 2 looks incredible, but it's 7 years old and I can't believe it's the latest and greatest, so what are my options for something newer than seven years old?

Thank you in advance
The current benchmarks are the Uniden SDS100 and SDS200, especially if you are in a simulcast environment (check this link)...

Let us know where you are (state, county, and city) and what specifically you want to monitor, and we can make some appropriate suggestions as to what would work in your area.

I am in CT too.

I own an SDS200 but you could get by with a 996P2 or 325P2.

Mine work great 👍

They don't do Zip Code scanning

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber

Thank you in advance

I've recently done a lot of research, before purchasing a new scanner. And like the others, I'll answer the SDS100 for portable use, and the SDS200 for home only use. While the zip code can get you up and running... IN UNDER 5 MINUTES from opening the box, you'll probably want to learn how to set a "favorites list" for faster scanning. If you are considering the SDS100, below is my unboxing and first use on how easy it was to use the zipcode method.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
The Uniden home base 2 looks incredible, but it's 7 years old and I can't believe it's the latest and greatest,
The what? Are you referring to Home Patrol 2? It is far from Uniden's "latest and greatest". The 996P2 (2015) and SDS200 (most recent release, 2019) followed it. A few drawbacks to zip code programming: You generally need to turn off every service type you don't want to hear as well as narrow your range down quite a ways. Even then the scanner willl probably still download agencies you aren't interested in hearing. Much easier to learn how to program a favorites list with the things you're only interested in hearing. I only use zip code programming if I'm in an area I don't frequent (vacation, etc)

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.
I was just looking at the Uniden 536hp but that's 7 years old also..
I'm ready to spend 500 wasn't ready to spend a thousand though, wow

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I was just looking at the Uniden 536hp but that's 7 years old also..
I'm ready to spend 500 wasn't ready to spend a thousand though, wow

Yeah, there are sharks out in the water, willing to pry as much money out of your wallet as possible. You can get either the SDS100 or the SDS200 for less at Ham Radio Outlet.

SDS200 LINK --- SDS100 LINK (In Stock)

See this post

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
Hi Whiskey. I hear what you are saying but the OP asked specifically about the best scanner for zip code programming. Let him start slow and grow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.