Best Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmischlersw

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to potentially upgrade my current scanner a Whistler 1040. I live in Davie County and travel often between there and Brunswick County (Oak Island/Bolivia area.).

I have looked at the Home Patrol hand held and the SDS 100/200. I am looking for something easy to use. I like the zip code feature but would also like the GPS feature for travel.

anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? My 1040 does not pick up much of Brunswick County well. I am not sure if that is due to interference Vs just using the antenna that it came with. I generally listen to police, fire, etc.

Thanks for suggestions.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The HomePatrol isn't a handheld. It's more of a tabletop radio with a touchscreen.

For travel, a SDS + GPS is your best option, not perfect, but it's far better than anything else. The SDS radios will handle simulcast properly where other radios won't, and the more you travel, the more likely you are to encounter simulcast systems..

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Jonwienke is being modest. What he said is true but he didn't mention that he can modify the SDS100 and install a GPS. If you never travel with the scanner, the GPS wouldn't be necessary. Otherwise, the "built-in" GPS is a great addition. I love mine. It works flawlessly.

(Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Jon in any way except as a customer.)

NYRHKY94

For what it's worth, the Uniden Home Patrol (can easily be mobile mounted) & BCD325P2 (handheld) are two good choices based on your post. Both are easy to use and have GPS capability. Highly recommend the Radio Shack 800 MHz or Remtronix 800 MHz antenna. Those work very well on the NC VIPER system and should give you excellent reception throughout Brunswick County.

jmischlersw

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will do some more research with what y’all have shared.

jackkd4vrd

Feed Provider
I have a Whistler 1040 and it works fine in Brunswick county. You need to have all towers programmed to work well in all of the county.

lu81fitter

For using your radio in a vehicle, nothing beats a dedicated mobile scanner with an antenna outside of the vehicle. BY FAR the best reception and the radio is anchored down so as not to become a problem in case of a accident. The SDS200 is the best one if you encounter any simulcast systems. I use a BCD996P2 and it performs reasonably well, except for simulcast systems, which I don't encounter that often. My outside antenna(s) are drilled in NMO mounts. (I'm not a fan of mag mount antennas) Good luck with your upgrade process. Hope your new unit serves you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.