Best way to build harness for a Commscope Dipole

iceman977th

Feed Provider
A while back, I discussed building a harness for a Commscope dipole that I was given. My goal is to split up the two 224A's into four 222's (2 element) for scanner feeds. I've never built a phasing harness before, antenna building is definitely not my specialty.. the good thing is, I have a virtually unlimited supply of RG-11 thanks to work, so if I need that for a harness then I'm set (someone sent me documentation that indicated Commscope uses 75ohm (RG-11) and 35 ohm (RG-83) coax in their harnesses. What's the most effective way to build a new harness for these antennas, with very little "proper" equipment for measurement?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Building the phasing harness is likely going to cost more in time and materials than a simple receive multicoupler (four way splitter with an LNA) would assuming you are planning on using this all from the same location.

prcguy

I think duplicating the harness with both 75 ohm and 35 ohm coax would be very difficult. I would measure the VSWR of a single dipole and if it’s close to 50 ohms you could make a simple 75 ohm harness out of RG-11 and I would not use CATV or satellite foam type but the older copper shield type with solid polyethylene dielectric so you can crimp and solder lugs at the dipole ends. They make specific 75 ohm N connections and T adapters for this coax to connect the individual pieces.