Blanco County Changing Systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfstx1

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I just became a member about an hour or so ago. I had programed the 396t by hand several weeks/ months ago. I just downloaded free scan and I am playing around with it. I kinda know how I want the scanner set up in my mind, but getting it set up in the scanner is another thing. I do appreciate all the help. I just need to play around with the software and get it all like I want. Once I get it set up on the 396t, the 996t will get the same treatment. One thing I've noticed is the 996t is very bassy(sp?). I like the fact that I'm picking up dps way up in Sulphur Springs.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yes, I just became a member about an hour or so ago. I had programed the 396t by hand several weeks/ months ago. I just downloaded free scan and I am playing around with it. I kinda know how I want the scanner set up in my mind, but getting it set up in the scanner is another thing. I do appreciate all the help. I just need to play around with the software and get it all like I want. Once I get it set up on the 396t, the 996t will get the same treatment. One thing I've noticed is the 996t is very bassy(sp?). I like the fact that I'm picking up dps way up in Sulphur Springs.
On the Easier to Read manual page, is a link for worksheets that you can download and printout. These are in PDF format, readable with Adobe Reader, which your PC probably already has. If not, it's a free download. That way, you can sketch out what you want to do, then program the scanner accordingly. With the 996XT, you can add the NAC codes used by TX DPS, something you can't do on the 396T. Comal County SO also shows to have a couple of P25 (digital) channels.

Note: If you have the 396T programmed, you can 'read' that into FreeSCAN, then build from there on what you want to load into your 996XT. Don't forget that there is a user guide for FreeSCAN in the Wiki here on RadioReference.

jfstx1

Premium Subscriber
Llano county

looks like they were doing some testing of the radios this morning. I caught talkgroup 7007. They were talking directly to the S.O.

I didn't hear tones, but it seems this is fire/ems

Last edited:

jfstx1

Premium Subscriber
it definitely fire/ems brodcasting on 7007. they are using it to set up a lz for the helicopter.

Wes

Premium Subscriber
There is a WR HELO 1 talk group. You might've found that. (There's also a HELO 2.)

jfstx1

Premium Subscriber
I almost 100% this is fire ems 1 or page talk group. they just used it to alert fire of the meeting tonight at 7 pm.

jfstx1

Premium Subscriber
It was a page for the llano fire dept.. She came accross and said this is a reminder of your 7pm meeting tonight

jfstx1

Premium Subscriber
7224 is Burnet fire/ems 4. They are working a 1050 just south of Marble Falls on this tg.

jfstx1

Premium Subscriber
No. Didn't know if I could. That's why I was posting them here. I will look up the guidelines and submit them. Thanks.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

gcell88

Cheapest and easiest option for Blanco County

jfstx1 - What is cheapest and easiest option to buy to listen to Blanco County police, ems, fire, etc.?

My analog scanner is broken or no longer capable of receiving Blanco County transmissions.

jfstx1

Premium Subscriber
You will need a digital scanner. Blanco County is 100% digital now. I have the uniden 396t that I bought back in 2005. I recently was lucky enough to find a brand new 996xt for around 350.00. I'd start with ebay.

gcell88

Blanco County

Would the Uniden HOMEPATROL also work for Blanco county? Or is this device not worth the money?

rbarker

Robert
Homepatrol is fine for Blanco Co surrounding areas.

The Homepatrol works fine. Just be sure to update it often, every Monday night if you can and if you are listening for the first time be sure to put in the zip code for where you want to monitor and try a range of like 2 miles at first.

gcell88

Does the Homepatrol have the same capabilities/functions as the 996xt?
Can you also manually enter frequencies into the Homepatrol?
Basically, I want a scanner for Blanco County.
Thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Does the Homepatrol have the same capabilities/functions as the 996xt?
Can you also manually enter frequencies into the Homepatrol?
Basically, I want a scanner for Blanco County.
Thanks
As far as reception capabilities, they are the same. Both can receive digital systems, either P25 conventional, such as Texas DPS, or digital trunk systems such as GATTRS, which is a Phase I system. Neither the 996XT nor Home Patrol 1 will work for a Phase II system,such as that being used by City of Houston (see the talkgroups labeled as "T" in the mode column on this system).

The Home Patrol does not have the same 'Search' or "Close Call' options that are present on the 996XT. You can enter frequencies and create new systems for the HP-1 through it's Sentinel software. However, if you want to be able to do that directly on the scanner itself (like when you're away from the computer), then you'd need to purchase the Extreme Upgrade. That also adds some other features. See Uniden's website for more information. Note that the cost of this upgrade has recently been reduced. It was $100, now $49.99.

When attached to a better antenna than the stock, I've found my HP-1 to do a good job on systems here in the DFW Metro area. The much larger display allows for much more informative text tags, since there is more space for display. For programming, the HP-1 is easy to set up. Install the Sentinel software (free) on your pc, download the latest database update, use Sentinel to then update the database in the scanner.

Set the date, time, and your location on (using your zip code works) along with a range and you'll be up and running in a few minutes. The "Service Types" you choose determine what channels (those within range) are loaded. (If you look at your county, Blanco, the far right column for each frequency shown, labeled as "Tag", is the same as the 'Service Type' you'd be picking in
the Home Patrol. You can also create your own "Favorites List", adding systems from the main database, then editing them in Sentinel to weed out unwanted channels, add new ones not in the database, and modifying the text tags if desired.

For the 996XT, you can program it either through the keyboard, or by using software, for the systems and channels you wanted. The 996XT comes with an ac adapter for in home use, as well as a 12v power cord to use with a cig. lighter socket, and a 12v harness, if installing and hard wiring in a vehicle. Close Call on the 996XT lets you search for nearby transmissions. You can also use either the defined service searches, or create a frequency range search.

With either the HP-1 or the 996XT, you can use a GPS to turn systems on and off when you travel. For the 996XT, you would have to program your route, with the GPS information included. In the case of the Home Patrol, connect the GPS to it, let it use the main database, set your range and service types, and drive. The scanner does the rest of it, loading systems as they come into range, and turning them off as they pass out of range.

jfstx1

Premium Subscriber
Llano County has two new talk groups. 7008, which is fire/ems and 7238, which was law enforcement. I have not submitted these. I will listen and see if I can get more info on them before submitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.