BNSF Call for railfan help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hulka

Yea I used a yahoo address so it probaly killed it. Funny though I get so much other crap in my "Bulk" floder though. I guess I will reapply and use a diffrent address.

jmp883

N9JIG wrote:

The next wave of mergers will almost certainly be one of the 2 eastern roads (CSX and NS) getting busy with a western road (UP or BNSF). CN & CP will likely end up with the merged roads.

I don't see the STB will ever allowing it. They've even stated that publicly because of the service fiascos caused by the CSX/NS takeover of Conrail and all the recent mergers involving UP. Rail service on all the systems involved slowed down almost to a standstill for days, weeks, and even months. If a merger between east and west was allowed and a service slowdown did occur the effects could be far-reaching. Remember, the CSX/NS takeover of Conrail and the UP takeovers involved 'local' railroads, not railroads that cover half a continent.

hulka

Well I reapplied with a diffrent E-mail address on the 7th and still nothing. I guess I will not be getting one. :(

SCPD

QRT
I work for BNSF as a conductor BNSF is a great RR to work for as a railfan i have been here 4 years never once have i been harressed by BNSF or any employee for being a Railfan BNSF also likes to hire railfans unlike other Railroads.

This program is great it helps train crews have extra eyes out there we cant see and report evreything.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
took 10 min and I got my card. Funny thing is if you ever used this for ID you'd get laughed at as they were hauling you off in the cruiser. No signiture from anyone of authority, no ID number. Nope. If I ever see anyone screwing with tracks ect, I'm callin in as John Q. Public just so nothin happens other than that, Im out of it.

R

Rayjk110

I think probably about 30-40% of the people who sign up are signing up to "Feel Special" and carry a badge and play "Pretend Rail Police"

Those are the peope us railfans DONT need trackside. It's not a permit to do whatever you want.

Last edited:

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
joetnymedic said:
took 10 min and I got my card. Funny thing is if you ever used this for ID you'd get laughed at as they were hauling you off in the cruiser. No signiture from anyone of authority, no ID number. Nope. If I ever see anyone screwing with tracks ect, I'm callin in as John Q. Public just so nothin happens other than that, Im out of it.

Excately, that's why I didn't want to be in someones database. It made no sense to me

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
I put in for the card to see what I'd get back (I have tracks less than a block from my house so I'd call something I saw in anyways). My point is that some people may get the wrong idea from this program and actually think they do have some type of authority when in fact they are still just john q public offering a hand. they call something in and approach officers who are o/s investigagting the call and flaash this card and the cops now think they have a loon on their hands. basically it takes something with the potential for doing good and makes it a nuisance. That's where I'm going . That plus not even some type of background check as to who these cards are even going to. Sorry, working as a medic for a county service as well as private services some in ny, i understand the security side of things and am very security conscious thats all.

Joe

mikepdx

hmarnell said:
It took them about five seconds to do a background check on me and send me a link to print out my own official cute little ID card.

Sir,

I just had to ask:
What led you to believe they had done a background check on you?

Allan_Love_Jr

Rayjk110 said:
I think probably about 30-40% of the people who sign up are signing up to "Feel Special" and carry a badge and play "Pretend Rail Police"

Those are the peope us railfans DONT need trackside. It's not a permit to do whatever you want.
I did. But never got it printed out on paper. I won't ever sign up again. When I go Railfanning. I always Railfan off Railroad property.

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
The reason why they are doing this is because their isn't enough Railroad Police, either way it allows extra eyes and ears on the railroads which seem to have an unlimited amount of trackage.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
It's trespassing to be on their property and since I don't watch on
their property, I see no reason to sign up. It could be seen as a way of keeping track of who is taking pictures. If you read their website it sez "don't take pictures of military equipment" If they can't cover up their manifest in public view I say tough titty.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
I signed up and had my card in a hour or so after I checked my email.I dont think it is a big deal.Sometimes I watch trains in the Temple Yard from a park that the city and the railroad built.I dont go wondering off and stay out of the railroad buiness.If I figure that if I see something wrong I will call 911 or the 1-800 on the card.I just emjoy railscanning and railfan.

jordan23

If you are going to sabotage a train, sign up for the program, it's a good cover story.

Viper43

icom1020 said:
If you read their website it sez "don't take pictures of military equipment" .

Whats the big deal about military equipment anyway, all anyone has to do is look on the internet or public library and find anything they want on it, even the military's own websites have photos, and then there is always Janes, Rueters and the AP web sites where you can find plenty of photos..... and everyone knows that all military equipment has o get to the bases by some means of transport, even the rails....
Thats like saying not to take pictures of bridges or federal buildings or monuments... it's all BS to make you think your being protected, and to take your rights away. I'm a professional photographer, and in media, oddly enough they do not seem to worry about "us" taking photos, but more the "regular" guy who gets harrassed for no reason.
I guess they figure because I carry around a $7000 camera I'm Ok and the little guy with the $1000 vamera isn't.... isn't government great? (being sarcastic of course)

V

DPD1

digitaljim6 said:
I don't frequent this forum but I couldn't resist replying to this particular thread. Maybe I'm paranoid, but BNSF will end up with a list of law-abiding, well-intentioned citizens ... that they can turn into suspects if anything happens. Sounds a lot like gun registration, doesn't it?

Well, if the article that came out the other day is true, you won't have to worry... Supposedly the feds have been adding thousands of people each month to the "watch" list. At this rate, the majority of the country will be a "suspect" in a few more years anyway.

I think the railfan registration thing could be good, but I agree with others... We all know there's plenty of people that will just make them wish they hadn't started it. As usual, all it takes is a few bad apples. Plus, I've found that often times when you try and report something to people of authority, they end up scrutinizing you instead of the thing you're trying to report. Twice I tried to report people going through a yard to a rail cop, and both times they started questioning me like I was the criminal. After that I decided I'd mind my own business.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Makers of the "TrainTenna" Monitoring Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.