Boston Fire Radio System Upgrades

nikronzo

Without knowing if you are trying to use Google Translate from another language or you are using talk to text into your phone or you have difficulties with written English but what you are posting makes little sense. Please reread and edit your posts before hitting the "Post Reply". Folks are willing to help but can get frustrated when a post makes no sense.

Google translate isn't even that bad...

spencerwww

So basically it says alert 3-6 or encrypted I heard Boston was going go p25 I was wondering was or is it going be tjoese encrypted channels on Boston mas site or they going to uhf p25 and I was using it it had pre type on it

garys

Premium Subscriber
Once again, Boston Fire UHF is NOT going digital. No P25, no DMR, no NXDN. It will remain analog. The channels on the existing or new 700 system will be a mix of clear and encrypted. The 700 system patches to the UHF will be clear, since it makes no sense to encrypt them. Everything else is likely to remain encrypted as they are now.

Got it?

EastCoastSunrise

Premium Subscriber
With the introduction of the new system, were there major changes made to either transmit power or antenna placement/type? Ive noticed since about the time this thread appeared Boston Fire has been getting fewer hits on my SDS100 than before the upgrade. Maybe I need to update it from conventional to P25 analog? Or am I missing something. I've also noticed that Ch5 is still lighting up on my scanner as Ch5. Was there a reversal of course to move what we currently hear on channel 5 to channel 7? Or are there just delays with the move? Also Joe if you see this and are willing (I know municipal government bureaucracy can prevent the most random things) unless you already updated the site and forgot to change the date. But I would love to see the new code plug BFD has! As it is a great way for me to see what channels are in use for Mutual aid etc.

ecps92

The channels from the past

Generally you will hear, when LEAVING the City the apparatus being told to go to Zone ? and Channel #

Mutual Aid coming into the City, I mainly hear on Ch.1, unless directed to the Fireground

With the introduction of the new system, were there major changes made to either transmit power or antenna placement/type? Ive noticed since about the time this thread appeared Boston Fire has been getting fewer hits on my SDS100 than before the upgrade. Maybe I need to update it from conventional to P25 analog? Or am I missing something. I've also noticed that Ch5 is still lighting up on my scanner as Ch5. Was there a reversal of course to move what we currently hear on channel 5 to channel 7? Or are there just delays with the move? Also Joe if you see this and are willing (I know municipal government bureaucracy can prevent the most random things) unless you already updated the site and forgot to change the date. But I would love to see the new code plug BFD has! As it is a great way for me to see what channels are in use for Mutual aid etc.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
So basically it says alert 3-6 or encrypted I heard Boston was going go p25 I was wondering was or is it going be tjoese encrypted channels on Boston mas site or they going to uhf p25 and I was using it it had pre type on it
Where did you hear it? The person in charge of the BFD radio system said it wasn't happeniong in post 9 of this very thread, so your "sources" are wrong.bfd.PNG

steve9570

Member WSAG-457 -KB1-KZW- KCP-2441 CB-WA1-BZG
Premium Subscriber
That is right NOT going to happen NO digital P25 etc!! Trust me I know!

BlackSheepDue

Channels 1- 4 mixed mode. Analog voice and P25 data for accountability. 5 & 6 P25. 7 analog automated voice dispatch
Can the database be updated to reflect this? At least 5&6 being P25 and 7 now being the automated voice dispatch channel instead of 5.

nikronzo

Can the database be updated to reflect this? At least 5&6 being P25 and 7 now being the automated voice dispatch channel instead of 5.
since it's not a currently deployed system why would the database reflect a change that hasn't even been installed
I wonder if in a few years their manufacturer will end support for their system and try to force their hand. Nothing would surprise me.
in the end, the client is still the client. If a sysadmin wants to stay analog, by god motorola or harris or whoever needs to serve that request.

garys

Premium Subscriber
It's in progress. It's a huge project involving Boston EMS, Fire, Police. There is also the likelihood of a separate City of Boston 700Mhz trunk system, mostly for none public safety, but I don't know if that was decided upon.

Figure another year or so before the public safety updates are done if they are sticking to the two year project schedule that was approved about a year or so ago.

Sorry I thought the build out had already occurred.

12dbsinad

I wonder if in a few years their manufacturer will end support for their system and try to force their hand. Nothing would surprise me.
Would never happen but if it did there are other fish in the sea besides Motorola that I'm sure would love to have their business

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
hi all can someone post all the channel changes.i’m confused on what’s 5&6 plus 8–10 is ch7 now 453.65?
It's probably best to just go by the database and wait for things to come online, any changes will be made there. Nothing is official until it's actually online and in service, until then it's all word of mouth and things can change

garys

Premium Subscriber
Channel 7 will be the current Channel 5 453.650.

For 5&6, I would listen to the current "District Repeater" channels as listed in the RRDB to see if anything pops up.