'bout time I got a base scanner..

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Just bought a pro-163 on ebay cheap. Fortunately my counties are still analog.
Good unit? Bad unit? Anything I should know?
Thanks

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
I had one long ago. From what I remember, it was a good unit. It received analog really well, and did a good job following the Motorola trunked system in Utah. I ended up getting rid of it when Wyoming switched over to P25.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Just bought a pro-163 on ebay cheap. Fortunately my counties are still analog.
Good unit? Bad unit? Anything I should know?
Thanks
I have 2 of its twin, the GRE PSR-400. They're not bad at all, but I prefer my Uniden-made scanners. The GRE models, at least in my experience, don't pick up as much as my Uniden ones do. I do run a PRO-197 as well, for local P25 phase 1 stuff. It does a nice job decoding digital. In fact, it probably does that better than the Unidens do.

robertwbob

KE0WRU
I have 2 of its twin, the GRE PSR-400. They're not bad at all, but I prefer my Uniden-made scanners. The GRE models, at least in my experience, don't pick up as much as my Uniden ones do. I do run a PRO-197 as well, for local P25 phase 1 stuff. It does a nice job decoding digital. In fact, it probably does that better than the Unidens do.
I got a 197 and its another fine scanner.its on moswin

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
What is your city, county, and state so I can take a look at the database? Did you get a programming cable with the scanner?
Union and Snyder counties in Pa. Happily these along with Lycoming and Clinton are still analog. Otherwise I'll use it for aircraft.
I have a programming cable from my Pro-97 and I think that'll work.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Almost everything in those 4 counties is still analog. Does your programming cable have a mono or stereo connector? It may have an adaptor on the end.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Almost everything in those 4 counties is still analog. Does your programming cable have a mono or stereo connector? It may have an adaptor on the end.
Stereo-just looked.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Stereo-just looked.
Good! That will work with the PRO-163. Check if the scanner can receive the local NOAA weather frequency. If it works OK, I suggest you consider purchasing the ARC300 programming software. It will make your life a lot easier entering all of those frequencies. You can setup a separate bank for each county.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Good! That will work with the PRO-163. Check if the scanner can receive the local NOAA weather frequency. If it works OK, I suggest you consider purchasing the ARC300 programming software. It will make your life a lot easier entering all of those frequencies. You can setup a separate bank for each county.
I already have the win97 abandonware and a fully programmed Pr0-97. Can I read the 97 into the software and blow that into the 163 or is that asking for trouble?

tvengr

Well Known Member
According to the Starrsoft website, Win97 supports only the PRO-97 and PRO-2055. There are a several things to try. Can Win97 export to a CSV file? ARC300 can import a CSV file. You can also try copying from the Win97 file and pasting into ARC300. You can also try coping from the Win97 file and pasting into an Excel file and then pasting from the Excel file into ARC300. ARC software has an Excel-like editor.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
According to the Starrsoft website, Win97 supports only the PRO-97 and PRO-2055. There are a several things to try. Can Win97 export to a CSV file? ARC300 can import a CSV file. You can also try copying from the Win97 file and pasting into ARC300. You can also try coping from the Win97 file and pasting into an Excel file and then pasting from the Excel file into ARC300. ARC software has an Excel-like editor.
Ah! Thanks for all of this help, it is very much appreciated. I'll probability go with ARC as I have it for the bc125 and works fine.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
The display on the PRO-163 as well as the PRO-2096 have a tendency to fade for a number of reasons. Sometimes it's due to a loose ribbon cable connecting the LCD.