It started about 09:30 and all the FD units were done and gone by 11:00. IDEM took over from there.
One man is dead and a Tippecanoe County sheriff's officer was shot in his arm following an exchange of gunfire inside a house on Indiana 43 near Battle Ground overnight.
The gun battle led to a police standoff of several hours, during which police reported hearing a single gunshot from inside the home. They found the suspect dead inside several hours later.
Police have not released the identify of the dead man until his relatives can be notified.
The injured officer was treated and released from a local hospital.
According to Tippecanoe County Sheriff Tracy Brown, officers had been trying to serve an arrest warrant on the man for domestic battery since Tuesday.
Police received a call from the man's mother Wednesday night, telling them she was worried about his well being, Brown said.
Sheriff's Maj. Charles Williams and Lt. Steve Kohne went to the two-story house, at 7315 Indiana 43 N., around 10:30 p.m.
They went inside, checking from room to room. The search eventually led them upstairs, where they encountered the man. "He opened fire on them," Brown said.
Williams returned fire, Brown said. It was not clear if the suspect was struck.
Williams was struck by a single bullet in his left arm, Brown said. He was later treated and released from St. Elizabeth Medical Center.
The officers went back outside, calling for assistance. Police from several agencies responded, surrounding the house, Brown said.
Sheriff's negotiators tried to contact the man around 12:30 a.m. "Within a few seconds of the first attempt, some officers on the perimeter reported they heard a single gunshot," Brown said.
Additional attempts to contact him over the next several hours were not successful, Brown said.
A sheriff's special response team went inside around 5 a.m., according to Indiana State Police Sgt. Kim Riley. Following a thorough check of the house, they found the man dead upstairs.
Indiana 43 from County Road 600 North to County Road 800 North was shut down for several hours during the incident, Riley said. The road reopened around 6 a.m.
The Tippecanoe County coroner's office will be conducting an investigation, Brown said. State police and the sheriff's department are also investigating.
The house where the standoff took place is the same one where a Battle Ground man allegedly shot his girlfriend's son in the abdomen last October.
Carl W. Bryan, 54, was charged with attempted murder in that case. The man shot was Mitchell L. Fisher.
It's not clear if Bryan or anyone else involved in that incident still live at the house or were involved in this incident.
zerobleu said:The story on WHAS11.com says there is a 5 mile no fly zone around the area the feed seems to be offline now. And says 15 people have been hospitalized. Anyone have a scanner online in the area should be some interesting traffic!
zerobleu said:The story on WHAS11.com says there is a 5 mile no fly zone around the area the feed seems to be offline now. And says 15 people have been hospitalized. Anyone have a scanner online in the area should be some interesting traffic!