Broadcastify Questions and Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquierStrat

On to my question, im just curious what percentage of feeds you estimate you'll lose because of this transition?
also, with that question, do you have a threshold in mind, for how high that percentage would have to get before you changed it back to giving feed providers their premium RR subscription back?

Last edited by a moderator:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have read this several times, and I'm still not getting it I guess.

As a feed provider, I currently get some premium membership to RR. I don't really know the benefits of a premium membership, but good deal anyway.

That is correct.

Once the transition happens with Broadcastify, my RR premium membership will only have 90 days left at which time it will be cancelled unless I pay for the premium membership.

This is also correct.

I will then get a membership to Broadcastify which will give me some random benefits, but is worth $6.95 a month.

Correct. The benefits you receive as a premium subscriber and broadcaster on Broadcastify is outlined in the announcement.

I won't have to change my feed equipment or software. The transition will happen automagically.

This is correct.

Listeners will still be able to listen to my feed, but it will be through the broadcastify website.

Correct.

Do they have to pay?

No, they do not have to pay. Listening to the live feeds on Broadcastify is completely free. Broadcasting to broadcastify is completely free.

As far as my listeners are concerned, how will they find my feed?

They will find your feed on Broadcastify.com and through all the mobile apps that already use the live audio feeds.

Can they come to RR and there will be a link, or do I have to re-train them?
We'll have a transition period where we will link through RadioReference to Broadcastify but that will go away over time. You'll need to retrain your listeners after that occurs.

What are the benefits to a Broadcastify membership? I read that I can listen to archives (Don't know who would do that anyway)? What is drawing listeners in to pay $80 a year? If they can hear the feeds for free, what is the benefit?

As per the announcement: http://forums.radioreference.com/co...news/248711-coming-soon-broadcastify-com.html

Premium Features ($6.95/month)

* Access to feed archives
* customized player page for managing favorite feeds
* Email and SMS alerting for listener counts, feed alerts, and other user defined criteria
* No advertisements
* Unlimited listening times on the Web players

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
On to my question, im just curious what percentage of feeds you estimate you'll lose because of this transition?

We do have an estimate, however we are declining to release that information at this time. I can say that we lost about 50-60 feeds out of about 500 feeds when we purchased ScanAmerica.

also, with that question, do you have a threshold in mind, for how high that percentage would have to get before you changed it back to giving feed providers their premium RR subscription back?

No, we do not.

Last edited:

wyomingmedic

That is correct.

As per the announcement: http://forums.radioreference.com/co...news/248711-coming-soon-broadcastify-com.html

Premium Features ($6.95/month)

* Access to feed archives
* customized player page for managing favorite feeds
* Email and SMS alerting for listener counts, feed alerts, and other user defined criteria
* No advertisements
* Unlimited listening times on the Web players

Perfect!! So I have an understanding of what it going on.

Thank you,

WM

Utah_Viper

Will Broadcastify be making it's own app for iOS, Android?

How will alerts work on Broadcastify? Will there be the ability for push messaging to cell, email? will it be triggerable by user count, alert message status?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Will Broadcastify be making it's own app for iOS, Android?

At this time we don't have plans to develop any mobile applications for Broadcastify. We will have a fully featured mobile Web site.

How will alerts work on Broadcastify? Will there be the ability for push messaging to cell, email? will it be triggerable by user count, alert message status?

Yes, how you described is how the alerts system will work.

westside22

Okay, since the other thread that I posted these questions in was deleted for whatever reason, and the other discussion on the Nebraska board has been locked, let's try this one more time(and NO-there is nothing off topic about my questions).

First, if the archives and feeds are moved to the new site-and broadcasters are given full access to the new site, does RR offer anything that the new site won't? There seems to be something, because RR is the site that the broadcasters want free access to rather than the new one.

The broadcasters pay for the power, the bandwidth and the hardware(and upkeep of such hardware), so I'd really think they deserve something of value to them in return for their service rather than a simple "good boy" and a pat on the back. If all this stuff is going to the new site, what's left of RR? It would seem to me that it might as well just fold, because unless there is more to it than I'm aware of, they just sold all their content & will basically be left with nothing. What am I missing?

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Will premium subscribers to RR get a discount to Broadcastiy or vise versa?

An existing paid subscription to radioreference will carry over to broadcastify for the length of time remaining on your premium subscription, then it will end. Renewing your subscription on radioreference will not renew the subscription on broadcastify beyond what transfers automatically.

http://forums.radioreference.com/co...coming-soon-broadcastify-com.html#post1817437

Okay, since the other thread that I posted these questions in was deleted for whatever reason, and the other discussion on the Nebraska board has been locked, let's try this one more time(and NO-there is nothing off topic about my questions).

First, if the archives and feeds are moved to the new site-and broadcasters are given full access to the new site, does RR offer anything that the new site won't? There seems to be something, because RR is the site that the broadcasters want free access to rather than the new one.

The broadcasters pay for the power, the bandwidth and the hardware(and upkeep of such hardware), so I'd really think they deserve something of value to them in return for their service rather than a simple "good boy" and a pat on the back. If all this stuff is going to the new site, what's left of RR? It would seem to me that it might as well just fold, because unless there is more to it than I'm aware of, they just sold all their content & will basically be left with nothing. What am I missing?

This site will have everything it has now, minus the live audio.

Yes, broadcasters pay for their scanner, their computer, their own internet connection, the power for the setup, etc. But what your missing is the back end services that cost over $10,000 per month that is paid by Radioreference.com to bring your feed to thousands of listeners around the world via the web or smartphone apps along with the archives that are created and maintained.

Radioreference.com didn't always have the live audio... it is still relatively new. The site was started as the database, and the database will continue, along with the forums. The site was immensely popular before live audio, and I Have a feeling that it will continue to be popular after the live audio feeds are split off to broadcastify.

westside22

By database, are you referring to the archives database? If that is going to B'fy, I guess I still don't get what will be on RR that isn't accessible on B'fy.

n5ims

I'll try to answer this for you but Lindsay or his staff should feel free to correct or elaborate as desired.

Broadcastify.com will have everything that currently is on RadioReference.com that deals with the Live Audio content (basically the Live Audio tab on the current site's pages). RadioReference will keep everything but the Live Audio content. The forums (at least everything that isn't live audio feed related anyway) and the frequency/talkgroup database will remain on the RadioReference.com site.

My take on things is the main issue is that the feeds will be on one site and the frequency database will be on the other. Folks got used to having free access to the premium part of RadioReference.com in return for providing a live audio feed. Now that the two sites are getting a "divorce" folks still want the family to remain together. Anyone that's gone through a divorce knows that this can't happen.

The feed providers will get a free ride on the premium offerings from the audio feed site, broadcastify.com. What they'll no longer get free is a free ride on the site that their feeds will no longer benefit, radioreference.com. Just like in a divorce, dad can't say the kids can drink mom's soda and mom can't say the kids can drive dad's sports car. Broadcastify.com can't give away access to RadioReference.com's content nor can RadioReference.com give away access to Broadcastify.com's content. Yes, they may be owned by the same folks, but Wendy's and Arby's are both owned by the same folks and you can't go to Arby's and get one of their combos and since you prefer Coke products to Pepsi products expect Wendy's to provide your drink free since you didn't fill your cup over at Arby's.

westside22

If they're both owned by the same folks, that makes this even that much more bizarre. If the owners own both, how can they "divorce"? The only thing I can see is that maybe they want to double up the fees on whatever slim %age of users will pay for premium on both, but beyond that-this whole thing just seems bizarre.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin

westside22

Ahhhh, okay. Owned by the same people now, but that's apparently changing. That explains a lot.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Ahhhh, okay. Owned by the same people now, but that's apparently changing. That explains a lot.

Maybe...

He didn't say that, but he did throw it out there for a possibility in the future.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
RadioReference will keep everything but the Live Audio content. The forums (at least everything that isn't live audio feed related anyway) and the frequency/talkgroup database will remain on the RadioReference.com site.
And the RadioReference Wiki.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
At this time we don't have plans to develop any mobile applications for Broadcastify. We will have a fully featured mobile Web site.

Will this include the feed streams? If yes, I hope the mobile web streams will be tested on a variety of platforms. (I used to be able to listen to the streams with my Blackberry, but my Android refuses to play them.)

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Will this include the feed streams? If yes, I hope the mobile web streams will be tested on a variety of platforms. (I used to be able to listen to the streams with my Blackberry, but my Android refuses to play them.)

Well, not ALL mobile devices will work with the mobile Web interface, but we do plan on implementing HTML5 players for mobile devices to get the broadest support we can. As for Android, the XiiaLive application is a good player for RadioReference.com streams. We'll almost certainly have good support for iOS, Android, BB, and Windows Mobile.

baybum

Will Broadcastify be available on Roku as a private channel, just as RR is now?
Or...will Roku users continue to go to the current channel for the live feeds?

Thanks,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.