Broadcastify Raspberry Pi Feed Appliance Image v1.0 (BETA)

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Maybe this is a niche request, but I'd love to see a version of this in a Docker container to run on my Synology NAS.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider

Kingscup

Feed Provider
I decided to stay up way too late and install this image. I am running the legacy feed and the Calls feed. I had a few hiccups but nothing too bad. Everything is up and running.

I initially glossed over the video provided by MTL_Emergencies since the install seemed pretty straight forward. The audio on the legacy feed was loud and I wasn't sure why. I haven't needed to change settings on the legacy feed since 2015 when I switched to a RPi 2 as it has been rock solid. I could not remember how to do it. Thanks MTL_Emergencies for the video as I had forgotten about the alsamixer command to change the audio.

I knew I was going to have problems with trunk recorder. 2 problems. I thought I would just copy and paste the config.json. Trunk recorder wouldn't have it. I just modified the example config.json file and it worked (after many modifications lol). I was receiving another error and I was expecting it. I was maxing out the RPi 4 on the old Calls feed with 11 conventional analog channels so I knew adding the legacy feed would bump me over the top. I reduced the channels to 10 and it started working.

I noticed I every time I rebooted the RPi, I would have to unplug and replug the wireless keyboard and wired mouse for the RPi to recognize them.

Is there a way to see in real time calls being uploaded to the server just like in a terminal window with trunk recorder? I have a problem with interference that I cannot seem to figured out. I can filter out 99% of it with the minimum duration command (I use 2 seconds) but sometimes interference is more than 2 seconds and it is uploaded. It happens on multiple frequencies and may last for several minutes. Usually 3-6 second intervals. I just want to see if maybe my old RPi 2 was causing it (probably not). I won't know until it happens and it is intermittent. Maybe once a day or less.

Kingscup

Feed Provider
I am asking b/c RTL-SDR blog is sold out on Amazon with restock not expected till next month, if then. SDR must truly be all the rage, with the originators of SDR being sold out like this.

This one is showing restock on April 23rd. Whether they actually receive some on that date is anyone's guess.

EDIT: This is for the dongle only. You may be referring to the SDR package.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Is there a way to see in real time calls being uploaded to the server just like in a terminal window with trunk recorder? I have a problem with interference that I cannot seem to figured out. I can filter out 99% of it with the minimum duration command (I use 2 seconds) but sometimes interference is more than 2 seconds and it is uploaded. It happens on multiple frequencies and may last for several minutes. Usually 3-6 second intervals. I just want to see if maybe my old RPi 2 was causing it (probably not). I won't know until it happens and it is intermittent. Maybe once a day or less.

Open a terminal and type

tail -f /home/pi/bcfy/logs/trunk-recorder.log

dan-dekalb

I don’t see LiquidSoap to stream SDR audio feeds. Is there another package to do that with, or do I need to install LiquidSoap separately?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don’t see LiquidSoap to stream SDR audio feeds. Is there another package to do that with, or do I need to install LiquidSoap separately?
This image does not have OP-25 and liquidsoap installed and configured.

We're hoping to get that added to the image in a future release here soon.

dan-dekalb

I’m using TrunkRecorder with the Streamthis script to send via LiquidSoap from my current configuration. I have been playing around with setting up a Docker with LiquidSoap and stream from my Pi to the Docker image on another computer to reduce load. I had everything working with 6 RTL-SDR dongles until an update blew it up and I could only run with 4. i was rebuilding a new version using Docker until this image came out.

DougWare

Feed Provider
I'm using DarkIce with a USB sound card I've used with EasyStream for a long time on an old version of Fedora.

I'm having a problem, when I run the configure script I get a list of 3 devices. I see two loopbacks and the USB sound card, which has the same ID as the second loopback device.

Code:
Enter Instance ID # to configure [1] or [q]uit: 1
>>>>>> Configuring Instance #1

Sources Available:
============================================================
Card ID        Card Description
[1]        PulseAudio Loopback 1
[2]        PulseAudio Loopback 2
[2]        Device [C-Media USB Audio Device]

I've tried manually setting the device in the configs/darkice/ config file, but darkice still won't start. Here's what I get when I select "2".

Code:
DarkIce 1.4 live audio streamer, http://code.google.com/p/darkice/
Copyright (c) 2000-2007, Tyrell Hungary, http://tyrell.hu/
Copyright (c) 2008-2013, Akos Maroy and Rafael Diniz
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under the terms of The GNU General Public License version 3 or
any later version.

Using config file: /home/pi/bcfy/configs/darkice/darkice_1.cfg
18-Apr-2021 16:21:26 Using PulseAudio audio server as input device.
18-Apr-2021 16:21:26 Using PulseAudio source:  Loopback2.monitor
18-Apr-2021 16:21:26 buffer size:  441000
18-Apr-2021 16:21:26 encoding
18-Apr-2021 16:21:26 Using POSIX real-time scheduling, priority 4
DarkIce: PulseAudioDspSource.cpp:166: : pa_simple_new() failed: %s
Connection refused [0]
Assertion 's' failed at pulse/simple.c:253, function pa_simple_free(). Aborting.
Aborted

W1cjf-1

Premium Subscriber
so the recommended sound cards don't come up for some reason on the support page. I have 2 i know show up on my pi as i attempted before and failed to get it to work as my stream. I am going to give it a wack and see if i can get it to work with one of the 2 usb sound cards I have. This is awesome because i have a 3+ and a 4 doing nothing as i use my pc to stream my feed.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
so the recommended sound cards don't come up for some reason on the support page. I have 2 i know show up on my pi as i attempted before and failed to get it to work as my stream. I am going to give it a wack and see if i can get it to work with one of the 2 usb sound cards I have. This is awesome because i have a 3+ and a 4 doing nothing as i use my pc to stream my feed.
Disable your ad blocker

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, I've tried rebooting several times. It looks like there's an enumeration problem in my use case?
Can you run arecord -l and aplay -l in a terminal and let me know what the complete resulting output is?

Code:
arecord -l
aplay -l

I’ll have a look and get a fix hopefully issued.

Last edited: