SDS100/SDS200: Broken battery door clip due to large battery tightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Well, I have finally and unfortunately joined the broken battery clip club. Bought my SDS100 when they first came out, babied it daily, and last night as I went to install a recharged battery, I noticed a big crack in the clip and of course when I opened it, the broken piece fell off. There is still 3/4 of the clip there, so for now it works, but I am sure that wont last long. I refuse to pay $89 and give up my scanner for weeks in repair to Uniden for what is a proven design flaw (given the numerous owners having the exact same problem), so I have ordered the heavy duty rubber bands instead. What a shame, as I have a “like new” looking scanner (except for the broken battery clip) that will now look like it is being held together by a rubber band. They should have done the right thing and had a recall/covered repair program and accepted ownership, or at least let us buy the part ourselves. I couldn’t find it anywhere, so rubber bands it is.

I used black electrical tape at least it matched the color of the radio. When I sent it in (out of warranty) it was gone for two months.

Moe3754

And this is why I sold mine on EBay today because of this and the cold solder problem,along with the crap customer support it is just not worth it,so I got rid of it before the reselling value drops.

vpasq

2 mos, what a joke, and for something they caused By making such an inferior clip! I knew it was only a matter of time, even if I did follow all the suggestions of holding the battery door tight when sliding over the clip, etc. I do think I was lucky to have it last this long, but NO EXCUSE, WE(and that includes many) SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN PUT IN THIS POSITION for a $650 investment. I do admit, as a radio, it performs just right for me, but beyond that - wish there was an easy and not so costly way to make my pristine radio (now no longer can I say pristine) like it was before yesterday!

richtidd

Database Admin
My battery clip broke & will send to Uniden for Warranty repair.

I am using a velcro strap but I am now using a heave duty rubber band (2" Long x 3/8" Wide x 1/16" Thick ) that seams to working OK:

So far I have been using the heave duty rubber band concept with OK results.
To lesson the preshure I moved one of the foam pieces more toward the lower end on the case.
I found that using bands works best.

mharris

Premium Subscriber
I had success calling Uniden and requesting new battery door clips. It took two months to get them as they were back ordered, but they did send them to me. It might be worth the phone call.

vpasq

You must be a smooth talker and I am not, since just got off the phone with Uniden and ordered two clips, but of course had to pay for them and shipping! I don't mind the shipping, but $5 for a piece of plastic that cost them probably 30 cents, is ridiculous. I ordered two since I don't have confidence the replacement will last any longer than the first one did and if that I want to keep my otherwise pristine unit pristine, I went ahead and paid the $16! (still better than paying for a repair for sure). I know that's not a lot of money at all, but just think if everyone who has had this problem does it - wow!!!!!!! Sadly though, Uniden should be ashamed of themselves. They give us a bigger battery to fix a terrible battery life with the original battery, then they subject us to a condition caused by an inferior part (clearly a design problem) and then something destined to fail, we will have to pay to fix it one way or the other, unless it fails "within the warranty period." They should have had at least a "one free replacement" to all registered users, without regard towards any warranty, but of course I am sure with them its all about $$$$$$$$$, and us obsessive scan-junkies will pay the price, like we did with our $650 investment to begin with. Oh well, at least I will still have my pristine scanner once I get the part and fix the problem they caused.

mharris

Premium Subscriber
You must be a smooth talker and I am not, since just got off the phone with Uniden and ordered two clips, but of course had to pay for them and shipping! I don't mind the shipping, but $5 for a piece of plastic that cost them probably 30 cents, is ridiculous. I ordered two since I don't have confidence the replacement will last any longer than the first one did and if that I want to keep my otherwise pristine unit pristine, I went ahead and paid the $16! (still better than paying for a repair for sure). I know that's not a lot of money at all, but just think if everyone who has had this problem does it - wow!!!!!!! Sadly though, Uniden should be ashamed of themselves. They give us a bigger battery to fix a terrible battery life with the original battery, then they subject us to a condition caused by an inferior part (clearly a design problem) and then something destined to fail, we will have to pay to fix it one way or the other, unless it fails "within the warranty period." They should have had at least a "one free replacement" to all registered users, without regard towards any warranty, but of course I am sure with them its all about $$$$$$$$$, and us obsessive scan-junkies will pay the price, like we did with our $650 investment to begin with. Oh well, at least I will still have my pristine scanner once I get the part and fix the problem they caused.
I paid for parts and shipping too. I don't really care as long as they don't withhold the part and demand I send my scanner back.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Back in 2019 I had to call uniden and got lucky with the clip to order and I didn't put back on radio cause it wouldn't last long I've kept it and been using rubber bands. I'm sure somewhere or someone is able to use a 3D printer to make one possible it will last longer? In my area some places are slowly coming back up from a major storm back in Oct 2018. I need to look around see places offer that service.

AvidHiker

...I'm sure somewhere or someone is able to use a 3D printer to make one possible it will last longer?...
Most 3D printer materials are relatively weak mechanically and would likely be much more prone to failure than the original clip. To make something that *might* be stronger it would probably have to be printed in PC, which, I believe, requires a special (and typically very expensive) high-temp printer.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Thank you. I have some cosmetic blemished clips available for half price. PM me for details.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yes. $5 each, but I'm not doing free shipping on those. $3 for up to a dozen or so before the weight jumps the price up.

Status
Not open for further replies.