SDS100/SDS200: Broken battery door clip due to large battery tightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcool101

Feed Provider
I've been using Clip #3 with a new battery cover and it is 75% better. I took original cover and pulled bottom foam piece out since it's out of warranty. It's even better with less pressure. I shook it to see if it would lose power and it's fine. Glue is good as it didn't come out 100% but I doubt the little bit remaining is even touching
View attachment 73568
My 3rd clip broke last week. This one broke close to the end. The other 2 broke at the seam. And yes I hold the door tight opening and closing as I have always done.......

View attachment 74786

It didn't make a difference. I'm still using the cover with the foam removed and clip #4. I have 7 more clips. I'll try one of Jon's soon. They look nice

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Don’t need to make it too loose like @jonwienke stated. Plus the battery will move around and possible lose power and shuts off radio. I put the new clip in and so far so good.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Received replacement battery door clips from Jon today, -Wow! Much better than original

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Interesting event today. Left the SDS100 in the vehicle all day, came back about 8 hours later, picked it up and the battery cover fell off. Looking at the clip I got from @jonwienke and noticed it was bent out, taking the tension off of the cover.

I've left it in the vehicle numerous times in a lot hotter temps (it was only in the low 80's today) with no bending of the factory clip. And yes, I know it can get hotter inside the vehicle than it is outside the vehicle, but the factory clip never did this.

Just a heads up for anyone with one of these clips.

Attachments

• Clip1.jpg
    Clip1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 101

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Well phooey. I guess I need to look into a different material if the heat of a car can do that. PM me and I'll send you a clip made from a different material. It's translucent, but prints at a higher temperature. I'd be curious if it handles the heat better.

p19997

Premium Subscriber
In the Phoenix area car interiors can arise to 160 degrees in the summer. However, people would be very unwise to leave a scanner in their car, especially if it is exposed to sunlight.

radio3353

Well phooey. I guess I need to look into a different material if the heat of a car can do that. PM me and I'll send you a clip made from a different material. It's translucent, but prints at a higher temperature. I'd be curious if it handles the heat better.

What are the thermal specs of the materials you are using?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The original filament melts at about 170C and prints best at 185C. Specs don't have a detailed temp/stiffness curve that would predict creep at say 60C, so I'm kind of on my own with this. The test piece is from some clear/translucent stuff that prints at about 230C. I just got a roll of a third material that prints at about 250C, and is advertised to be stiffer at elevated temperatures. So I'll be testing that as well.

radio3353

The post-printing thermal specs is what I was most interested in. It is a shame the vendor doesn't provide that data as it seems rather important in determining performance and suitability of use of the material in hot and cold environments, even for consumer use. Oh well, good luck.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yeah, it's not available, so you kind of have to take your chances when you buy it, and test as best you can.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
LOL. I'm going to have to be a bit more low-budget, like printing a hook and submerging it in boiling water, then applying a load.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Every 3D printer displays Centigrade, and the filament manufacturers do likewise for temperature specs.

• Haha
Reactions: RRR

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

I'm testing a prototype Jon sent me. As luck would have it it hasn't been real warm since I received it so I can't tell if it will behave differently or not yet.

In all fairness to the original clip of Jon's, I tried to break it (since it was bent anyway) and couldn't*. So strength-wise it's good, just keep it out of the heat and you'll probably have no issues.

* I imagine if I tried hard enough it would break, but just using normal old man hand pressure it didn't even flex. :p

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the update Kevin I have 2 1 for each 100 not going to use them until I have to. Both of my 100's are early 1st runs and are still holding up even after I started using external charges and spare batteries.

Premium Subscriber
Just bought one from jonwienke last night, and he already had a label printed first thing this morning! My current original latch is fine, but will be happy to have this upgrade.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I did some destructive testing before offering them for sale and broke a couple, but I had to put them in a vise so I could torque on them with both hands. And it still wasn't easy. At normal room temps the stuff is quite tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.