• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Broken M1225 Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheatonfire

I have a Motorola M1225 with a broken antenna connector. I believe the adapter is the PL-259. From what I can see, it appears that the radio was pushed back during an install and the adapter and 'hook-up' on the back of the radio were broken. I need to replace both pieces but have never done this before. I'm not sure what the parts are that I need to fix it. Sorry for the newbie question, this is the first time I've dealt with replacing these pieces. Thanks a lot for the help.

WX9EMS

The connector itself is a mini-UHF. Every parts list that I see lists 0980476U01 as mini ant connector (but does not show up in parts explosion...odd). Why don't you share a picture with us of the back of the radio. Along with the ant connector, is the power connector(3080486U01) or the 16 pin (0980472U01) connector damaged? Replacement of these parts should be pretty straight forward with some basic de-soldering/soldering skills, you will end up disassembling the radio for the most part; not for the weak at heart! Take your time and pay attention to detail. If you question your ability, you should seek assistance or send it to someone who can do it for you.

Good luck!

wheatonfire

Pics are attached. The rear of the radio is bent and the adapter piece is broken. I just need to replace both pieces, just not sure what the replacement parts are. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 360

WX9EMS

Eliminate the adapter and the PL-259, and get a good quality crimp-on mini-UHF connecter from tessco.com or equivalent. The antenna connector on the radio still looks in good shape...seen worse.

That adapter adds an extra inch or so behind the radio. Now it is possible that the coaxial cable has been damaged too (being flexed too sharply or kinked) at the connector. In an environment where space is tight, adapters can make things more difficult.

I hope this helps.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Eliminate the adapter and the PL-259, and get a good quality crimp-on mini-UHF connecter from tessco.com or equivalent. The antenna connector on the radio still looks in good shape...seen worse.

That adapter adds an extra inch or so behind the radio. Now it is possible that the coaxial cable has been damaged too (being flexed too sharply or kinked) at the connector. In an environment where space is tight, adapters can make things more difficult.

I hope this helps.

If the coax and PL-259 are not damaged, it may be easier for the OP to just get one of these to replace the broken adapter as there is no soldering, cutting, or crimping required in the field:

Mini UHF to SO-239 24" cable for Motorola Mobile Radios | eBay

(I know that eliminating the adapter and replacing the PL-259 with a mini-UHF will give slightly better performance, but reading the original post again suggests that just getting a better adapter may be better in this particular situation.)

WX9EMS

If the coax and PL-259 are not damaged, it may be easier for the OP to just get one of these to replace the broken adapter as there is no soldering, cutting, or crimping required in the field:

Mini UHF to SO-239 24" cable for Motorola Mobile Radios | eBay

(I know that eliminating the adapter and replacing the PL-259 with a mini-UHF will give slightly better performance, but reading the original post again suggests that just getting a better adapter may be better in this particular situation.)

Valid point Steve, I didn't even think of a pigtail adapter. For ten bucks he really can't go wrong; as long as coax going into PL-259 has not exceeded the cable's bend radius rating (OP, can read about that here http://www.picwire.com/pdfs/PIC_Technical_Articles/PIC_TA1_Bend_Radius.pdf) keeping in mind that there may be damage that you cannot see.

Should check SWR after replacing adapter, and if SWR is higher than before; odds are coax is damaged. On the other hand, there may be no damage at all to the coax, the adapter could have been pushed sideways or in some other way, and it does not take much force to break some adapters. Had a TNC to N adapter that broke apart with little effort. Anyhow, no real reason why you could not go with the adapter Steve mentioned, just be sure to examine the end of the coax for a kink or any thing like that, and if there is; it is most likely damaged and should be repaired by putting a new end on it that matches the radio antenna connector.

wheatonfire

I am going to get the mini-UHF. Is there a specific type I need to look at? I found this one:
Larsen MPLCRIMP Mini-UHF Male Crimp for RG58 | TESSCO

Also, the connector on the back of the radio is bent at the end. It's kind of difficult to see in the photo. I'm afraid that the connector from the antenna will not screw properly onto the radio. Not sure if I should try it first or just get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.