Bullitt County Going Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone heard anymore word I saw the Bernheim tower does have a signal as said before, but talkgroups have been added to the Metrosafe page. I have been monitoring the site and have not seen any traffic

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
I’ve only sent in the TG’s that I have heard. I have those recorded from discovery. They only have done testing on 2 days that I have heard. I’m hoping to get a sheet soon of all the TG’s

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The snail continues to crawl. . .

A number of weeks ago, there was a massive effort to install portable radio chargers in fire apparatus and police cars. As Mike noted, there has been some "can you hear me now?" traffic. I'm now hearing the Bernheim tower at home where I had not in the past.

Us folks in the trenches haven't been told much. I expect "they" don't want to give dates because whenever they have in the past, Murphy jumps in to action. If nothing else, and just my opinion, they really ought to get the system operational though not officially accepted and fire radios programmed by Crusade for Children time in August. That would be a great opportunity to test it as firefighters go down most every street that time.

That said, when the Jefferson County component was started, there were snags, delays, hiccups, etc. too. (I can't believe it's been more than ten years ago.)

Remington12G

GØT AES?
I'm not to familiar with MetroSafe but does it only have 4 towers for the entire system? or are there more that aren't in the database.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Let's see if I can simply explain a complicated thing.

In the beginning, MetroSafe started off as a 12 site/tower simulcast system with those towers being only in Jefferson County. A 13th site was quickly added to deal with coverage issues in the southwest portion of the county.

A few years later, MetroSafe applied for a federal grant to extend coverage into the Oldham, Shelby and Bullitt County areas. When that happened each of those three counties got one additional tower, each on its own frequencies (1 control and 4/5 voice frequencies). The Oldham, Shelby and Bullitt sites/towers are not simulcast (there are satellite receivers that are linked via microwave).

The thinking was that if a Jefferson County unit roamed into an adjacent county, the radio would determine where the best signal came from and would "select" that site. Not all of the talkgroups were allowed to affiliate with those 3 remote sites, just the mutual aid channels and some overflow operations talkgroups. That means everyone involved (dispatchers and responders) had to be mindful of which talkgroups would "work" on the three remote sites. Unfortunately that hasn't always happened - there would be police pursuits that went into Oldham County and communications fell off. That was because the police primary talkgroup wasn't allowed to affiliate with Oldham County's site. The stated reason was that the number of voice channels was limited and allowing the primary police, fire and EMS talkgroups to affiliate with the remote sites would clog up the system.

An offshoot to those remote sites was MetroSafe approaching Oldham, Shelby and Bullitt counties, inviting them to jump on the MetroSafe system. Oldham County was the first and they went live "about" a year ago. Bullitt County is getting ready to transition "any time now" and Shelby County said (I think) "thanks, but not right now".

I know Oldham County talkgroups will be heard on both the Oldham and Jefferson County towers. I'm presuming Bullitt County will do the same.

So yes, there are 4 sites/towers, but one of those is simulcast, meaning there are four sets of frequencies to program.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Let's see if I can simply explain a complicated thing.

In the beginning, MetroSafe started off as a 12 site/tower simulcast system with those towers being only in Jefferson County. A 13th site was quickly added to deal with coverage issues in the southwest portion of the county.

A few years later, MetroSafe applied for a federal grant to extend coverage into the Oldham, Shelby and Bullitt County areas. When that happened each of those three counties got one additional tower, each on its own frequencies (1 control and 4/5 voice frequencies). The Oldham, Shelby and Bullitt sites/towers are not simulcast (there are satellite receivers that are linked via microwave).

The thinking was that if a Jefferson County unit roamed into an adjacent county, the radio would determine where the best signal came from and would "select" that site. Not all of the talkgroups were allowed to affiliate with those 3 remote sites, just the mutual aid channels and some overflow operations talkgroups. That means everyone involved (dispatchers and responders) had to be mindful of which talkgroups would "work" on the three remote sites. Unfortunately that hasn't always happened - there would be police pursuits that went into Oldham County and communications fell off. That was because the police primary talkgroup wasn't allowed to affiliate with Oldham County's site. The stated reason was that the number of voice channels was limited and allowing the primary police, fire and EMS talkgroups to affiliate with the remote sites would clog up the system.

An offshoot to those remote sites was MetroSafe approaching Oldham, Shelby and Bullitt counties, inviting them to jump on the MetroSafe system. Oldham County was the first and they went live "about" a year ago. Bullitt County is getting ready to transition "any time now" and Shelby County said (I think) "thanks, but not right now".

I know Oldham County talkgroups will be heard on both the Oldham and Jefferson County towers. I'm presuming Bullitt County will do the same.

So yes, there are 4 sites/towers, but one of those is simulcast, meaning there are four sets of frequencies to program.
Thanks, i understand now.

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
I’ve been monitoring the Bullitt site and I think looking at some of the data that all of the UID’s will be starting with 12 just as Oldham has all of there UID start with 11

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
I’m currently doing some system logging on the main simulcast system and a new talkgroup showed up as 1522 the RID’s match with Bullitt county RID’s to my knowledge

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
That would be consistent with what I see with Oldham County. At least some of their talkgroups also show up on the Jefferson Simulcast site. Whether all of the talkgroups are permitted to affiliate with Jefferson Simulcast is a question that is on the list to be asked.

There is some rumbing about setting up training. So it looks like they are getting ready to begin to get ready. But as we've seen, the folks there have been thrown more curve balls than at a World Series ballgame.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Curious if anyone has noted Emergency Management/Homeland Security traffic or talk groups. I know when we got our new system here in Gtown we immediately had EMA/OHS operate on the new system. Is that a plan Bullitt is following?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Apologies for being long winded, but it is a complex situation.

Around "these parts" there are three versions of Emergency Management/Homeland Security: local state and federal. More often than not, the local Homeland Security would be a part time function of a law enforcement entity.

The Bullitt County system installation is being overseen by Bullitt County Emergency Management. They also play a pretty significant role when it comes to emergencies involving multiple jurisdictions/disciplines. I have yet to see an official list of talkgroup assignments, but I feel comfortable saying BCEMA will probably will be users on the system. I have heard one of the EMA units doing test conversations with the radio system installers.

The Bullitt County system is actually a sub-system of the Louisville MetroSafe System. The radios are programmed by the radio shop of the Louisville Emergency Management Agency, who oversees the whole system. As such, I'm sure they have the capability of talking on most any channel they wish, including some of their own.

What I've seen over the years is that if there is a big enough of an incident/situation/training where the state EMA folks are involved or even federal, they will typically borrow local radios for use.

Lastly all (as in Jefferson, Oldham and Bullitt) of the 800 Mhz radios have the 8CALL and 8TAC frequencies programmed. One would think the diligent state EMA or federal EMA along with Homeland Security folks probably has their own sets of radios having these frequencies.

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
True but for some reason the Bullitt county site is set to isolated currently or at least that is what DSD Plus is deciding

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
True but for some reason the Bullitt county site is set to isolated currently or at least that is what DSD Plus is deciding

Would that be what you get if they have the system set for site trunking? I know way back when we were first getting the MetroSafe System set up, Jefferson County sites only, they had that set up. A lot of tinkering was done just to see how things worked.

alky1234

Ø
Feed Provider
Would that be what you get if they have the system set for site trunking? I know way back when we were first getting the MetroSafe System set up, Jefferson County sites only, they had that set up. A lot of tinkering was done just to see how things worked.
The system can be set to only allow certain talkgroups to remain on that site unless a specified talkgroup "roams" over to another site, essentially the BC side of things could be setup to handle BC traffic and keep it off the JC simulcast unless a radio "roams" over or drags a talkgroup to those sites...

Also, this system isn't fully up and running yet. There could still be a lot of things going on the back end of it that we don't see and things could change. Just like some of the TG's labeled on the database may still change from what we think they are....

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
Bullitt County Police 1 is currently simulcasting on 1501, however as they are using their existing equipment for the simulcast, it sounds terrible. There has been a lot of testing and they have confirmed a few of the channels during their testing.

k4ktr

Premium Subscriber
so have we seen any frequencies for the new Bullitt County thugs come online yet I mean we heard rumors a while back did they were close to being ready to go online

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
so have we seen any frequencies for the new Bullitt County thugs come online yet I mean we heard rumors a while back did they were close to being ready to go online

The frequencies are listed under the New Bernheim site (mis-spelled New Bernhaim in the database).

Initial training has started and will continue in the next 4-5 weeks for users if my information is correct. So I'd be anticipating an increasing number of transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.