Burlington County 700 MHz Project 25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
"While county officials said they believe the switch to the 700 MHz is the right move for public safety, they noted that the $40 million cost is being borne entirely by county taxpayers with no funding help from either the federal or state government."

That being said, we as tax payers should be able to listen to our radio system that we paid for, including routine dispatch police channels.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
That being said, we as tax payers should be able to listen to our radio system that we paid for, including routine dispatch police channels.
By that measure, I guess you should also be able to borrow a police car if your car is in the shop. Or call the local fire dept to fill your swimming pool or wash down your deck and patio. Maybe borrow the tower ladder to clean your gutters? Hey, how about borrowing a plow truck from the DPW to clear your driveway!

Your taxes paid for all of that equipment also, and yet, it's accepted by rational citizens that they don't get to have any expectations of personal use of those resources. The radio system is no different; it is just another piece of equipment that is financed by taxpayer's dollars used by local officials to get the job done.

Just because the ability to easily and readily listen to those radio transmissions over the airwaves has existed for decades, does not mean there's any entitlement to be able to listen going forward.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
By that measure, I guess you should also be able to borrow a police car if your car is in the shop. Or call the local fire dept to fill your swimming pool or wash down your deck and patio. Maybe borrow the tower ladder to clean your gutters? Hey, how about borrowing a plow truck from the DPW to clear your driveway!

Your taxes paid for all of that equipment also, and yet, it's accepted by rational citizens that they don't get to have any expectations of personal use of those resources. The radio system is no different; it is just another piece of equipment that is financed by taxpayer's dollars used by local officials to get the job done.

Just because the ability to easily and readily listen to those radio transmissions over the airwaves has existed for decades, does not mean there's any entitlement to be able to listen going forward.

I understand your point of view. I would not expect access to any of those items you've mentioned. However monitoring routine police patrols is something many folks have been doing for a long time, yourself included probably. Nothing has changed with routine police patrols in Burlington county recently. The crime rate has not drastically increased, there are no documented problems with ambulance chasers, etc. Perhaps some ARES/RACES folks getting in the way at times, it happens.

I firmly believe the hobbyist monitoring community should still be able to enjoy our hobby, including listening to routine police patrols. Now if I could just convince my local MUA to let me borrow that dump truck and front end loader this spring that would be swell.

W2SJW

Database Admin
A brief update on system upgrade progress:

#1 - 3 new tower sites will be added to the current 500MHz sites to enhance coverage - Bass River, Cinnaminson, & Pemberton.
#2 - New system will have 75 total talkgroups, down from the existing 549.
#3 - System will be split into a 'North Simulcast' and 'South Simulcast' configuration.
#4 - Portable subscriber deployment - early 2020. Mobile subscriber deployment - mid-to-late summer, 2020.
#5 - FD & EMS subscriber units will be APX6000XE's & APX6500's.

*all info subject to change*

Last edited:

phillydjdan

A brief update on system upgrade progress:

#1 - 3 new tower sites will be added to the current 500MHz sites to enhance coverage - Bass River, Cinnaminson, & Pemberton.
#2 - New system will have 75 total talkgroups, down from the existing 549.
#3 - System will be split into a 'North Simulcast' and 'South Simulcast' configuration.
#4 - Portable subscriber deployment - early 2020. Mobile subscriber deployment - mid-to-late summer, 2020.
#5 - FD & EMS subscriber units will be APX6000XE's & APX6500's.

*all info subject to change*

WOW! I guess they realized they didn't need 549 talkgroups for 12 conversations lol...

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff

Premium Subscriber
Getting a CC on 771.63125, system ID 099Ah, site 0111 full strength in Lumberton. Unfortunately I don't have a pc connection to run unitrunker. The new tower in Pemberton is up and saw new antennas on the Browns Mills site.

phillydjdan

Ive got Unitrunker capabilities in my van. I will hop the bridge and check on this later this evening

phillydjdan

This is what Ive been able to confirm:

System ID: 99A
WACN: BEE00
SITE: 11
Callsign: WQRS858
Modulation: C4FM
RFSS: 1
NAC: 99B
MFID: Motorola

Primary CC is 771.63125
Alternates are 770.75625, 772.58125 and 772.83125

Site 11 is apparently Westhampton at the county complex. I pulled in there and removed my antenna and maintained a full signal. As I sit down the road at the fire station I still have full signal with no antenna. Pretty safe bet that's the one lol. So I guess it's official. Burlington County is on the air! At least at one site for now.

phillydjdan

I should also add that the exact same signal is also coming off the tower by Rowan University on 73. Same site number. Time to throw this into the Unication in trunking monitor mode and see what pops.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I can confirm that the Medford and the Kings Grant Sites are not up yet. I do not believe the Mount Laurel water tower site is either though I am getting a slightly stronger signal in that area I believe it is coming from the Rt 38 site. Kind of surprised there's nothing a little closer to Maple Shade, especially along Rt 73 where the highway is depressed. I'll need to test the Cinnaminson site. It looks like the Palmyra site on Broad & Cinnaminson Ave will not be transmitting the new system?

phillydjdan

I'm sure they don't have all of the sites on the air yet. Give it time and I'm sure your observations will change.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
The Kings grant site is less than a mile from my house and the other Medford site is about 1.5 miles the other way. I have my tools ready. I'm receiving the current sites on the air very good from my home location. Other sites will pop up soon enough.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Band conditions were quite good today, I was picking up Atlantic County P25 and a new site on this system from Lower Manhattan with a stubby antenna and SDR Sharp.

Site: 12
859.6625 Control Channel

Quick FCC search seems to show this frequency is associated with a number of sites, each with four channels:
WQUF689
TABERNACLE, NJ
CHATSWORTH, NJ
NEW GRETNA, NJ

WQVS278
WARREN GROVE, NJ
SWEETWATER, NJ
JENKINS, NJ

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Band conditions were quite good today, I was picking up Atlantic County P25 and a new site on this system from Lower Manhattan with a stubby antenna and SDR Sharp.

Site: 12
859.6625 Control Channel

Quick FCC search seems to show this frequency is associated with a number of sites, each with four channels:
WQUF689
TABERNACLE, NJ
CHATSWORTH, NJ
NEW GRETNA, NJ

WQVS278
WARREN GROVE, NJ
SWEETWATER, NJ
JENKINS, NJ

Receiving a moderate strength control channel at 859.6625 in neighboring Camden County with my SDS 100. I can the system ID matches that on 771.63125. Interestingly the strength of 771.63125 has definitely decreased in this spot now that the other control channel is on air. This week I'll have to test which sites are broadcasting.

joey123

Receiving a moderate strength control channel at 859.6625 in neighboring Camden County with my SDS 100. I can the system ID matches that on 771.63125. Interestingly the strength of 771.63125 has definitely decreased in this spot now that the other control channel is on air. This week I'll have to test which sites are broadcasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.