BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Butel Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

EARMEL

Premium Subscriber
I recently up graded to the Uniden Trunk TrackerV BCD 996P2 and the Butel ARC XT Software when loading the software a version update was required. I did this or believe I completed it correctly. I noticed that when I create a profile and remove blank lines they return even if I save each group every time. I also get a message when I down load the system profile P2 Model Old Firmware. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I bought the scanner because Winchester Virginia up graded their radio system to a Phase 2 Simulcast
I have heard a very limited amount of traffic from them. The signal strength is 1 to 0 bars of strength and it is the closest department to me (about 8 miles away) Before the change over from conventional the signal was very strong and active. Could I possibly have a programing issue or additional programing needed after the programing up load into the profile. I have 14 systems currently. and all the others work great.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I hope I did this correctly

EARMEL

Premium Subscriber
Screen Shot & Upload

Ok I think I have added a screen shot. My computer knowledge is limited. What happens is when a group is created I right click and select remove empty lines but they come back even after saving. My old 996 instructions noted that removing empty lines would increase scanning speed. Once they were deleted they did not return in the old Software Program.

I uploaded and installed the firmware link you gave me as a repair but the version still shows 1.06.00
when looking at the scanner Information in the scanner.

Attachments

• Scanner.jpg
    Scanner.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 379

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Are those the talkgroup #'s from the database? First column under talk group should be the assigned talk group #'s.. not 1 2 3 etc..

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I bought the scanner because Winchester Virginia up graded their radio system to a Phase 2 Simulcast
I have heard a very limited amount of traffic from them. The signal strength is 1 to 0 bars of strength and it is the closest department to me (about 8 miles away) Before the change over from conventional the signal was very strong and active. Could I possibly have a programing issue or additional programing needed after the programing up load into the profile. I have 14 systems currently. and all the others work great.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I hope I did this correctly

I suspect you have found what others have - when new systems come on line, they tend to orient their antennas to concentrate coverage inside a specific area - which seriously attenuates anyone that's outside that zone. Having so little signal strength, it's going to be very difficult to get any traffic reliably

It sounds like a new antenna, nice and high away from obstacles, is called for here, neither reprogramming nor new firmware will help this issue

Mike

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Well, I did an import, and my info shows just as yours does.. That's odd.. If you're importing from the database, I would think it would work...

EARMEL

Premium Subscriber
996 P2

The up load comes directly from radio reference the only thing I change is the name of the system
Here is something to think about I just put up a new outdoor antenna conventional and digital to complete the install when I use it I hear nothing from Winchester at all and the signal bar is to weak to show any bars all other systems reception is much better with increase in signal strength. Does the simulcast have an affect on the system operation (I have imported from Free Scan) also.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Discard all thinking about programming for now. What you need is a better signal level

There is no such thing as a 'digital' nor a 'conventional' antenna. It's marketing hoopla. Doesn't exist. It sounds like you put up something along the lines of a discone, since that's basically omni directional (receives in all directions). This is strongly suggested by your saying while you got some improvement on some systems, your target didn't.

Yagis are quite cheap on 800 and will help with the signal level. Don't ignore the coax - at 800 Mhz, cheap cable can lose any improvements on the antenna. 9913 or similar grade is highly recommended; I'm sure others will come up with other such recommendations; just remember, high and in the clear is part of the issue. You're going to need to 'point' at the Winchester system, and Yagis do that well. They also work reasonably off their sides, but behind them, they attenuate - this is a loose description of the 'front to back ratio'.

Mike

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Update us as to what you did to fix it.. Your info could help others in the area or elsewhere..

EARMEL

Premium Subscriber
996P2

I will be sure and post any thing that I find that improves the reception. I may have to find a friend in the City of Winchester where I can take the scanner for a visit. We have the Apple Blossom Festival this week so it should be almost constant communications especially May 5th 6th and 7th I have reloaded the
conventional frequencies that were not programed when I programed the new scanner originally. I thought the conventional frequencies would be out of service when the P2 was put into service. that is defiantly not the case frequencies have been added to the conventional system. Reception for the conventional is very good.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You can start your antennas research here - there's a link for a coax cable loss chart, and there is a widebanded LP and 700-800 Mhz yagi linked at the bottom of...

Scanner Antennas - The RadioReference Wiki

The very first link in the writeup will point you to our scanners and receivers antennas forum, where your antenna questions can be answered (they're pretty much OT here...)

Mike

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
One of the quirky things about Butel software, which I've used for many years, is that it will add empty lines. I've not seen any issues with uploading data to scanners with those blank lines.

I noticed in the database, the system you are interested in was updated today. So if your import was prior to today, you might try it again. (There were some talkgroups that were imported when I tried the import that weren't shown on your screenshot. While being downloaded, some of the talkgroups are encrypted, so you shouldn't expect to hear anything on encrypted talkgroups.)

When doing the import, on the Butel pop up window for the RR Webservice, click the Trunk Options tab, and check all three boxes saying Import Primary Control Channels, Alternate Control Channels and All Control Channels. That way you have all bases covered, just in case something other than the listed control channels are used.

Signal strength on digital systems, such as P25, is academic. With digital, you either have it or you don't. I monitor a digital channel that shows no bars of signal strength, but hear it just fine.

There is a remote possibility you could be a victim of simulcast distortion. That's where your scanner is hearing two or more sites and it is having trouble decoding the datastream. Symptoms of this are garbled or no audio. The easiest way to confirm this is to take your scanner to about 1/4 mile of a transmitter and monitor the system. If it comes in loud and clear there, but when you get back home the problem re-appears, that is highly suggestive of simulcast distortion. If that is the case, let us know and there are some things to try to deal with the issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.