• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Calling 911

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
I hope this belongs here, if not the mods can feel free to move it.

Ok, I'm a millennial, I have to admit, never had the need to dial 911. What is the order of information one should provide to the call taker, i.e. name, location, describe situation? Any additional details to provide? Is this different for each type of emergency situation? Can you give examples for various situations? Thanks

ecps92

I hope this belongs here, if not the mods can feel free to move it.

Ok, I'm a millennial, I have to admit, never had the need to dial 911. What is the order of information one should provide to the call taker, i.e. name, location, describe situation? Any additional details to provide? Is this different for each type of emergency situation? Can you give examples for various situations? Thanks

cg

Premium Subscriber
The most important thing, especially if you are using a cellphone, is the location of the incident.
Also, keep in mind that you may not be the only one calling. It is not uncommon for an incident on a busy internet to generate 50+ calls in a couple minutes. I often hear a dispatcher say that "there are no more calls so it must have cleared itself".

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
We train our call takers to ask in this order WHAT IS THE LOCATION OF YOUR EMERGENCY. This is paramount. Do not rely on GPS/Phase 2 ANI/ALI as it always doesn't update. TELL THE CALL TAKER EXACTLY WHERE YOU ARE and WHAT IS GOING ON. DO NOT HANG UP UNTIL TOLD TO DO SO. Additional info such as your name, vehicle you may be in, clothing worn, etc are all asked AFTER WE KNOW WHERE YOU ARE AND WHAT THE NATURE is.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
We train our call takers to ask in this order WHAT IS THE LOCATION OF YOUR EMERGENCY. This is paramount. Do not rely on GPS/Phase 2 ANI/ALI as it always doesn't update. TELL THE CALL TAKER EXACTLY WHERE YOU ARE and WHAT IS GOING ON. DO NOT HANG UP UNTIL TOLD TO DO SO. Additional info such as your name, vehicle you may be in, clothing worn, etc are all asked AFTER WE KNOW WHERE YOU ARE AND WHAT THE NATURE is.
This is exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Footnote: wireless (and VOIP) calls are sometimes routed to a PSAP that doesn't actually have dispatch responsibility so knowing your EXACT LOCATION is CRITICAL. CAD systems MSAG (master street address guides) will pin down who has primary response and jurisdictional boundaries, so for example, you may be routed to my PSAP but actually be in the city limits of another PSAP. We do what is known as a "warm transfer" where the call is connected with that jurisdiction's PSAP and you'll be asked the same key questions over. Don't be annoyed or alarmed, our goal is to get the RIGHT resources to you as quick as possible. The only way to do this is first know FOR SURE where you are and WHAT is going on.

JethrowJohnson

Footnote: wireless (and VOIP) calls are sometimes routed to a PSAP that doesn't actually have dispatch responsibility so knowing your EXACT LOCATION is CRITICAL. CAD systems MSAG (master street address guides) will pin down who has primary response and jurisdictional boundaries, so for example, you may be routed to my PSAP but actually be in the city limits of another PSAP. We do what is known as a "warm transfer" where the call is connected with that jurisdiction's PSAP and you'll be asked the same key questions over. Don't be annoyed or alarmed, our goal is to get the RIGHT resources to you as quick as possible. The only way to do this is first know FOR SURE where you are and WHAT is going on.
What's a PSAP?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Typically a calltaker (at least the ones I've dealt with over the years) will ask where the emergency is first. This is perhaps the most critical piece of info to have when a call is initiated. State where the emergency is then wait for the calltaker's response and additional questions (Do you need police/fire/medical, etc). State the nature of the emergency and answer additional questions the calltaker gives you for them to get the best understanding of what is going on. Remain calm if at all possible and speak clearly

kb4mdz

Not really helpful information, but food for thought:

A few decades ago (at least some parts of ) North Carolina had a thing called 'Hamwatch' as a protocol for dialing 911 via an autopatch.

I haven't heard a 'Hamwatch ' autopatch call in ages, but if I remember almost correctly, in Raleigh/Wake County 911 it was information in this order:

1) Location,
2) What the issue is (accident, whatever)
3) Is medical help needed.

Rationale: Location is most important, because if the call drops there's at least that. A street name or road #, more detailed is better ("Hiway 70 or Glenwood Avenue, outbound at the beltline"), is a good start.

What? Fire? Accident? Gas leak? UFO?

Is medical help needed ? Self explanatory.

I'm thinking 'Hamwatch' was a codeword for the 911 dispatcher to know that it was an autopatch and not a landline phone call, so the dispatcher can't ask questions until the ham has stopped transmitting.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Typically a calltaker (at least the ones I've dealt with over the years) will ask where the emergency is first.

All the ones I've encountered ask "Do you need Police, Fire or Ambulance" and they'll downstream the call to the appropriate agency based on the location your phone provides.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
And the right answer is:
Answer the questions that the call taker asks you.

It's not your job to be a dispatcher or call taker. If you really are reporting an emergency, you probably won't have your wits about you to do any of that. And the call takers know that. They are often working off a Computer Aided Dispatch system. That system will have fields they'll fill out. They'll be asking you specific questions in a specific order. If you try to second guess them or "help", they'll just end up asking you the questions in the right order anyway.
So, just do what they tell you, nothing less, nothing more.
Every call is different, so attempting to prepare a preplanned response isn't a good idea.

They are professionals. They do this for a living. And they are usually very good at it. They know what information they need. Our dispatchers often complain about the callers that start off with the monologue, the people that start talking and Won't. Shut. Up. Don't be that guy. Don't try to beat them to the questions, let them do their job. Don't use scanner or cop jargon, just speak plain/calm English. The dispatchers/call takers will thank you for that.

Last edited:

CM1

Premium Subscriber
I agree with mmckenna just answer the questions the dispatcher asks you. Since every call is different.

If I can offer my 2 cents (LOL) for incidents / accidents along interstates, the Parkway and Turnpike (and other major roads) be prepared to at least provide things like direction of travel, inter/outer roadway, milemarker #, lanes #, etc...and of course the nature of your call. In most agencies I worked at we verified the call back number, in the event of disconnection.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If I can offer my 2 cents (LOL) for incidents / accidents along interstates, the Parkway and Turnpike (and other major roads) be prepared to at least provide things like direction of travel, inter/outer roadway, milemarker #, lanes #, etc...and of course the nature of your call. In most agencies I worked at we verified the call back number, in the event of disconnection.

Good advice. It's usually a good idea to take a second or two and gather yourself before calling. Yeah, it's important to get the call in as quicly as possible, but being able to provide accurate and useful information is very important. PSAP's only have a set amount of incoming lines, and tying one up without being able to provide good info just means someone else has to wait.

K2NEC

As mentioned multiple times already, please just answer the questions that the call taker is asking you. If they ask "WHERE is the emergency?" Don't say "My house" or "in the cemetery" or start describing what is going on on scene. I need an address that I am sending help, that's my first priority. If for whatever reason we get disconnected then at least I know where to send help. Also please don't be the individual that starts the 911 call with "Well this isn't an emergency but...." if it's not an emergency, take the time to find out the local PD's non emergency number and contact them. Don't use 911 as an operator that can transfer you to the town. That's not the purpose of 911.

APCO is getting away from PSAP to go with ECC, emergency communications center. I suspect PSAP will be around for a long time since it's been used for years.

I wonder if APCO will change to APTC since communications officers are now telecommunicators.