Can a PSR800 Upgraded to WS1080.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Does anyone actually take the time to read posts anymore? He wasn't asking HOW to upgrade, he was asking if the scanner will decode a particular system AFTER the upgrade.

The GRE/Whistler scanners do not trunk track DMR systems, they merely scan through the frequencies looking for activity that matches whatever talkgroups you have programmed. I don't see any reason why the scanner wouldn't decode voice traffic on that system.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone actually take the time to read posts anymore? He wasn't asking HOW to upgrade, he was asking if the scanner will decode a particular system AFTER the upgrade.

Gee kind of thought the title was saying, "CAN A PSR800 UPGRADED TO WS1080" meaning can it be upgraded to monitor that system.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Read the thread title along with the first line of his post. He was asking if the upgraded (past tense) PSR can monitor the system he linked. Poorly constructed post? Probably, but it seemed clear enough after reading it. ;)

Can a PSR800 Upgraded to WS1080.......Monitor this DMR Motorola Connect Plus (TRBO) system

rja1

Premium Subscriber
It's already been upgraded. I'm a DMR virgin & I have NEVER programmed a DMR system. Does DMR come in two flavors (like P25), trunked & conventional? Can the upgrade monitor both flavors? Can DMR be LSM?

rja1

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
DMR (aka MOTOTRBO) can be either conventional or trunked. Trunked comes in multiple "flavors" such as Capacity Plus, Connect Plus, Tier III (Capacity Max), etc.

The GRE/Whistler scanners are "dumb" when it comes to DMR, and simply scan through the frequencies you program in to a "system", as I noted in my first post. The are not capable of using a Connect Plus or Tier III control channel to trunk track the system like a Uniden scanner would.

I suggest reading up to get familiar with the scanner's capabilities. Lots of info on this page:

djs9164

I monitor DMR on my 1088. I have programmed the systems as trunked and they monitor fine displaying the talk groups and wildcards.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It's already been upgraded. I'm a DMR virgin & I have NEVER programmed a DMR system. Does DMR come in two flavors (like P25), trunked & conventional? Can the upgrade monitor both flavors? Can DMR be LSM?

rja1
As GTR has already mentioned, there are several versions of trunked DMR systems, but that does not matter due to the way that Whistler scanners handle DMR. While they do not actually track the systems (unlike Uniden scanners), they can monitor for the talkgroups you program, or for any activity where a wild card is in place. Unless your target system is very busy, the method Whistler uses for these systems may well be sufficient to meet your needs.

The system you list exists in the database, and you should be able to load it via the Library Import option in EZ-Scan. (I don't have the same model as your's, but EZ-Scan for my TRX-1 does show it in the library for import.) You can import any, or all, of the sites, as well as the listed talkgroups. If you include a wildcard, you would also get talkgroups that are not in the system.

I would not know whether DMR can be used in an LSM mode, but of the systems in use in my area, including a sizeable one that covers the North Texas area, none of the sites are simulcast. Maybe someone that deals with setting up and maintaining DMR systems can provide a more specific answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.