Can I listen if I have.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confused1234

Can I listen to a system if I only have the control ch. hex and name? I don't have the talkgroups. Is there a way to figure out the talk groups?

jim202

There is a wonderful database right here on this site. Go up to the top section and click on the
database blue rectangle. A map of the country should pop up and select the state you want.
Then select the county your interested in and then you should find all or most of what your
asking about.

Jim

Can I listen to a system if I only have the control ch. hex and name? I don't have the talkgroups. Is there a way to figure out the talk groups?

Confused1234

I have a bcd396xt

I got the control frequencies from the database but it did not have the talk groups. I have a 396xt and the system is an EDACS Standard system. How do I figure out the talk groups or can I figure them out?

kma371

QRT
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Your radio will search for the talkgroups and by listening, you may figure out who uses what. What system are you talking about?

Confused1234

New to the 396

Thank you for the information.

I just got the new scanner in, I don't know how to work it yet. I am going to get the program software for it. I heard it makes it faster to get up and running. I will have to figure out how to program for the EDACS Standard system.

Only thing I wish is that they had a way to listen to the EDACS ProVoice system.

davidbond21

Only thing I wish is that they had a way to listen to the EDACS ProVoice system.

There's a way to do it; it is quite expensive and requires you having to buy a ProVoice radio among other components, but it's doable in a technical sense. The key word though is expensive.

Your 396xt will work on ProVoice EDACS systems though that also use analog talkgroups, even if the system employs ESK, your scanner will correctly trunk analog talkgroups on the system which is a plus for your scanner right there. I'm unfamiliar with Uniden programming unfortunately so I can't help you then. There should be a way for you to have a wildcard talkgroup that will open the audio up on any talkgroup that comes across and is not already stored, and it should allow you to press a button to store that new talkgroup as well. Then you can look at the talkgroup number and find out what it is looking in the database.

Last edited:

Confused1234

The system....

This is the deal the company that I work for uses EDACS Standard system. I think I have the correct control ch. but I don't have the talk groups. I want to program my 396xt with this system.

Each radio on the system has a number and say when my coworker keys his radio my radio displays his radio ID and vis versa. Is this useful information?

CompuDoc

What you need to do is call the radio service provider or perhaps the company has your own radio guy. He will be able to give you the talk groups.

I used to work for a fuel oil company and I bought a trunking scanner just for the purpose so I could listen in when I was out of the truck. Sometimes their was a lot of downtime between calls so instead of sitting in the truck I would go home and listen to the scanner as I was doing other things such as surfing the net.

When I got the scanner I set it for close call and keyed up the mic several times in the truck so I could get the frequency. Then after getting the frequency I looked it up in the FCC database and it belonged to a communications company that I know of a person that works for them. I called him and asked him for the frequencies and talk group which he gave me all the information I needed. There is probably going to be more than one frequency that you will need to program in. When you program the frequencies in if you have a uniden scanner (those are the only scanners I have) you can set the scanner for ID Search key up the radio and it will give you the talk group number. It is possible that your company may have several talk groups or it just may have one. When you get the talk group number than you can program it in.

The key thing is getting the frequencies first and programming them in the right order.

sjlamb

This is the deal the company that I work for uses EDACS Standard system. I think I have the correct control ch. but I don't have the talk groups. I want to program my 396xt with this system.

Each radio on the system has a number and say when my coworker keys his radio my radio displays his radio ID and vis versa. Is this useful information?

Just create a system in your scanner with ALL of that system's frequencies. Make sure that they are programmed in the exact order shown in the database (LCN Order-Logical Channel Numbering). Do not just program the control channel. Enter ALL of the freqs for that system.

Once you have entered this EDACS system into you scanner, put it into SCAN mode:

while in SCAN mode...
Press [FUNCTION] ---> Press [Scan] to enter talkgroup search mode. Scanner will stop on any talkgroups it finds for that system. Once you got this fingered out.... read up on "Quick Save"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.