• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can I receive on a xts300 for my states system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmanpro96

Hey guys i was wondering if iI could buy a motorola 800mhz radio(preferably xts300) and program it to my states system? All i would want to do is monitor, not transmit......If so how hard would it be to program one of these radios?Can it be field programmed?

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
zmanpro96 said:
Hey guys i was wondering if iI could buy a motorola 800mhz radio(preferably xts300) and program it to my states system? All i would want to do is monitor, not transmit......If so how hard would it be to program one of these radios?Can it be field programmed?
Make it so much easier on yourself, and buy a scanner, for the following reasons:

1. It costs way to much money.

2. You need software to program it witch cost lots of $

3. No field programming

4. Limited talkgroup memory.

5. When it gets inhibbited by the system administrator, you have a 3k paperweight.

I could go on. Just buy a scanner, it's a much better choice.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Not to mention a million people from here and batlabs can give you other ideas as to why it's wrong and illegal.

Its almost as if someone would ask you if it would be ok for them to clone your cellphone so that they can just receive phone calls and not make any. Would that be ok with you?

zmanpro96

Well first of all its not illegal in NC because any trunktracking scanner on the market can be programmed to receive motorola trunked systems. If it was illegal Radio Shack wouldnt sell them. I own a PROP95 and 96 and I do receive my states viper system. You cant really compare a motorola radio to a cell phone. All I wanted it for was so I might could talkaround to some of the people I know who own them. Thanks Anyway Guys......

FPO703

No, they mean that it's illegal to program a radio for receive only (if that is the true intention) without the proper authorization from the powers that be that oversee the radio system(s) in question. They don't mention anything about trunktracker scanners.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
zmanpro96 said:
Well first of all its not illegal in NC because any trunktracking scanner on the market can be programmed to receive motorola trunked systems. If it was illegal Radio Shack wouldnt sell them. I own a PROP95 and 96 and I do receive my states viper system. You cant really compare a motorola radio to a cell phone. All I wanted it for was so I might could talkaround to some of the people I know who own them. Thanks Anyway Guys......

Brother: Having a scanner programmed to monitor the VIPER system and actually having a Moto Rig Programmed to receive only are 2 REALLY different things....
1) Good luck getting the NCSHP/Mike Hodgson to consider giving you access to the system...as others have said, and believe me I personally know people working on VIPER: THEY WILL BRICK YOUR RADIO IN A HEARTBEAT!!!! They do not take kindly to rouge radios taking up valuable space on the system....
2) Just use your Pro 96 or if you were considering buying a XTS 3000 buy another Pro 96 or a Uniden 396 instead or buy both for the price of a XTS3K/5K....you will be alot happier as either of the 2 scanners gives you MUCH more flexability/More Channel storage....
Just trying to save you money and alot of headaches....
Marshall KE4ZNR
"VIPER Guru"

fireboy

Most people dont seem to grasp the concept that these systems are managed and operated by a central controller. (computer). and by simply turning on your radio and causing it to affilliate on a system that you are not authorized for. you would have instantly accessed that computer illeagally... hence "Computer Tresspass" and it is a serious offense. which is investigated by the F.B.I. You can go out and pretty much spend as much money on a scanner as you would on a radio and get more features out of your scanner than you could out of a radio anyday. Plus.. what would a police officer think if he saw your radio sitting in your cup holder during a traffic stop and better yet scrolling through the channells on the radio and seeing his own dispatch channel in there..... Just some food for thought....

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
and by simply turning on your radio and causing it to affilliate on a system that you are not authorized for
And once it affilliates, it can be inhibited, meaning the computer basically zaps your radio so you can't use it. At that point it is useless.

MattSR

Yep, once your radio is inhibited, it powers up, does a self test, then switches itself off immediately.

There are two ways to restore it - one is from the zone controller that zapped your radio, and the other is through the motorola depot service software that is only available at M's service centre. either way means you have some serious explaining to do.

Cheers,
Matt

car2back

this forum need's a sticky that says "IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT MAKING A RECIEVE ONLY TRUNKING RADIO LOOK HERE" in big letters! :lol:

10-95

The easy answer is this. To actually program the radio you need the program called SYSKEY.GEN, it's a propritary software program that is restricted by Motorola. Is it floating around??? Yes it is. Do you stand a good chance of being charged with a computer crime for using it to generate a restricted system key for a trunking system?? YES!

Even though you most likely just want to be able to carry around a fancy radio like the PO-PO carry, and look like you are someone and have no intention of trying to cause problems on the system you are still in the wrong.

In the post 9/11 world I'd recommend you just buy a scanner, the way things are now since 9/11 it is possible they could use some other laws under the patriot act to really jam you good.

If you really want a shot at getting on the system legally then just call the sys administrator, I'm sure he'll be glad to go into great detail about this.

underlift

zmanpro96 said:

If you want something that you can program yourself for trunking a scanner would be the best, otherwise you need a slow pc, rib box, cables, software, system key and alot of work to figure out how too!

There are some people out there that will program the radio for you, But it isn't Legal, they could stop the radio from transmitting, but then you couldn't talk to your friends. If you want to talk to your friends on a good radio, then you could get a Ham Radio or Mur's radio on a conventional frequency (VHF), I believe you might need a Licence depending on your area. GOOD LUCK!

By the way, you dont need a XTS, You could also get a MTX or MTS alot cheeper aswell as Many others that would work just as good since you don't need Dgital

10-95

Underlift wrote:

"There are some people out there that will program the radio for you, But it isn't Legal."

Generating a restricted system key and using it to program a radio for a user not authorized to be on the system is very illegal.

Here is something that actually got some press here on the site, i'd have to look but I can produce more interesting articles for you if you like...

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=687

Another good article, I'd resist giving legal advice if I were you..

http://mi.gov/ag/0,1607,7-164-34739_34811-106788--M_2004_12,00.html

Frank

Last edited:

underlift

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Underlift wrote:

"There are some people out there that will program the radio for you, But it isn't Legal."

10-95
Member wrote

"Generating a restricted system key and using it to program a radio for a user not authorized to be on the system is very illegal.

Here is something that actually got some press here on the site, i'd have to look but I can produce more interesting articles for you if you like..."
GUY Your saying the same thing, :"ISN'T LEGAL" and "ILLEGAL"

So Whats your Point!!!!

10-95

Correct you are. My speed reading skills need work. Anyway, good articles for any wannabe out there who wants a radio like the po-po.

Status
Not open for further replies.