CAP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

Most of the Federal Frequencies are being defined as FOUO and typically users are not being
told what they are. Easy to Close-Call, but many users are only told, Ops-2, Convoy etc for a channel
name or use.

Even MARS and USCG Aux are FOUO. Doesn't stop us scannists tho.

Not sure why a two year old thread got bought up again but you're saying these "secret" frequencies can't be provided to anyone outside CAP or it's a criminal offense? So, if I was the sheriff's department SAR IC working CAP on a downed aircraft mission, you wouldn't give me your working frequencies so we could monitor your activities? If so, that seems like an incredibly dumb idea. The CAP spends a lot of time working with civil authorities. If we aren't authorized to know you're operational frequencies, you're making it a lot harder for us to work with you and potentially prolonging a mission to the detriment of the human lives we are all trying to save.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
the real easy solution to this is to put a CAP member with a radio in your incident command center.

If everyone thought the same, that would save money on these fancy-pants command posts. Why install any radios, just tell everyone to bring an HT and a folding chair :lol:

CLB

Not sure why a two year old thread got bought up again but you're saying these "secret" frequencies can't be provided to anyone outside CAP or it's a criminal offense? So, if I was the sheriff's department SAR IC working CAP on a downed aircraft mission, you wouldn't give me your working frequencies so we could monitor your activities? If so, that seems like an incredibly dumb idea. The CAP spends a lot of time working with civil authorities. If we aren't authorized to know you're operational frequencies, you're making it a lot harder for us to work with you and potentially prolonging a mission to the detriment of the human lives we are all trying to save.

Wow. Talk about digging up old posts haha.

What happens in SC is we have our own network to speak amongst ourselves and a MOU with the state that allows the use of 4 or 6 of their talkgroups on the Palmetto 800. We staff the air branch in SC, so anything an IC might need CAP wise is taken care of through the proper chain of command.

SAR923

Having a CAP member in the command post is what we used to do - assuming the the CAP had the resources to provide a liaison. In many cases, the CAP didn't have these kind of resources available. All we needed to do was plug the CAP frequencies into our VHF radio (which we used have anyway) so we could both monitor their activites and coordinate their air ops with ours since we had a helicopter. I'm sure an MOU would help but our comm techs would still need to know the type of system and particularly if you are using P25, since we had no had VHF equipment capable of P25 operation. We generally got whoever was in charge of the ground teams to come to our CP to get one of our portables since our repeater system generally worked better than theirs. It just seems to totally idiotic to make CAP frequencies "secret" when the chances of them being used by terrorists seem extremely remote but the chances that civil authorities really need them is very high.

Status
Not open for further replies.