Cape / Launch Monitoring Guide

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
something for those of you that are into Satellite and S band stuff ---- this reddit thread is updated before every launch with the STA (Special Temporary Authorizations) from the FCC to SpaceX for their flights.

defo a good place to watch if you are chasing Satcom / telemetry:

Reddit SpaceX FCC Authorization Page

KB1VLA

Regarding the KSC 406 MHz P25 system, are the TGs all Phase I or Phase II? The DB lists them all as 'D', vs the 'T' that I would expect for Phase II TGs. My BCD396XT is not decoding them, however. It seems like a pretty big oversight to have the TG type listed incorrectly.
Yes, I'm aware that my 396 will not decode Phase II TGs, and I wouldn't have tried to had they been listed in the DB as 'T' vs 'D'.

batdude

Regarding the KSC 406 MHz P25 system, are the TGs all Phase I or Phase II? The DB lists them all as 'D', vs the 'T' that I would expect for Phase II TGs. My BCD396XT is not decoding them, however. It seems like a pretty big oversight to have the TG type listed incorrectly.
Yes, I'm aware that my 396 will not decode Phase II TGs, and I wouldn't have tried to had they been listed in the DB as 'T' vs 'D'.

i'll take a look at this - could be an oversight.

doug

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Keep in mind that if a phase 1 radio affiliates with a phase 2 tg, it will change to phase 1 for the time being. And many systems start off in phase 1 to shake out the bugs, then move to phase 2....Mike

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Keep in mind that if a phase 1 radio affiliates with a phase 2 tg, it will change to phase 1 for the time being. And many systems start off in phase 1 to shake out the bugs, then move to phase 2....Mike
Only if that option has been purchased.

BM82557

Pretty sure everyone in the vicinity of the Cape is aware of this but thought I'd post it anyway --

batdude

as most everyone is aware, NASA is planning a 833am (Eastern Time) 29 August launch of the Artemis moon rocket.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: THIS IS THE FIRST ATTEMPT AT THE ARTEMIS LAUNCH. Currently, weather looks GOOD - but we are a week out --- and, it's Florida ------ MY OPINION - stress OPINION - is that the chance of a successful "on time" launch is AT BEST --- 50/50. YMMV.

you can expect 100k + people to attend this launch.... (my guess is north of 200k - but we will see)

The KSC P25p2 system is VERY active - even this weekend - with photo/timing/video set ups being worked on.

Some handy launch related sites:

NASA Sets Launch Coverage for Artemis

Spaceflight Now

NASA & Space News

I've also updated the KSC monitoring guide which is attached to this post.

Attachments

• cape montioring guide_r4.pdf
    432.4 KB · Views: 48