Caroline County Fire & Rescue Changes

TJX400

Monitored Caroline some over the last few weeks. For those of you who are out of range or don't monitor it frequently, I want to note some changes that seemed to be introduced at the start of the year.

They're currently in the process of installing Phoenix G2 Station Alerting equipment in their stations, the Samantha voice from the Gateway Radio Interface (GaRI) is currently parked on FR TAC8 while a dispatcher tones out calls on FR DISP. I've also noticed that they were simulcasting the Samantha Voice on Statewide EMS (155.205) at one point recently. My assumption is the simulcast over Statewide EMS is temporary for testing purposes since they're almost certainly going to maintain their VHF paging frequency (154.385) for the volunteers.

The USDD Phoenix G2 system is capable of several methods of paging, 2 tone being one of them, so I don't see their VHF paging frequency going away like several surrounding career-heavy jurisdictions have done. The GaRI is capable of transmitting on 2 separate channels simultaneously, so it would be possible for it to transmit both on the VHF paging frequency & the TRS at the same time instead of a permanent patch like they have established currently. I also assume once they work out any bugs during the installation process they'll move the Gateway Radio Interface to FR DISP in place of the actual dispatcher.

Additionally, they've changed their EMS transport unit numbering system. Previously, the personnel would identify on the radio as Medic/Ambulance 227, or Medic/Ambulance 510. The first number being the station, and the following number being the physical ambulance number. They seem to have taken a page out of Spotsy's book and are now identifying as Medic 2-1, Medic 2-2, Medic 5-1, etc.. This is a welcomed change in my opinion, seems this numbering system will be a bit more interop friendly with surrounding jurisdictions that participate in the Capital Region numbering system.

TJX400

Moved to FR DISP at some point in the last few weeks, it sounds really good! They slowed the voice down so you can actually understand what it's saying.

TJX400

Also to note, seems they're using FR TAC2 as a 'response' channel for small-scale incidents, then FR TAC3+ for incidents. The GaRI announces the channel assignment for every call. No more voice on FR DISP.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Also to note, seems they're using FR TAC2 as a 'response' channel for small-scale incidents, then FR TAC3+ for incidents. The GaRI announces the channel assignment for every call. No more voice on FR DISP.
Ok I've noticed they call the channel "fire tac2". Maybe the db just needs to be updated with the new labels.