• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, I would like to hear some good recomendations of comercial CB Radio Amplifiers. i understand the FCC regulation regarding this techniques but I want to browse the docs for such products.

regards,

fab.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
hello, I would like to hear some good recomendations of comercial CB Radio Amplifiers. i understand the FCC regulation regarding this techniques but I want to browse the docs for such products.

regards,

fab.

There are no recommendations because "commercial cb radio amplifiers" do not exist. This is a fallacy.
Now cheap chop shop,home brew, and poorly constructed amps are out there which I do not condone. There are also legit amateur radio amplifiers which are only on the market for *us*.

n9zas

gewecke

Banned
Signal (pre) amplifiers for ~ 27 Mhz for outside USA market ?

Ok, now Yes there are PREAMPlifiers on the market that will amplify the received signal in the range of cb's. These will not have a effect on your transmitted signal. These preamps can be bought in the USA.

n9zas

haleve

Banned
Commercial CB radio Amplifiers???

You can Google same or go to the CB radio forum where you can get plenty of advice, good luck.

gewecke

Banned
You can Google same or go to the CB radio forum where you can get plenty of advice, good luck.

Yes he can google Preamplifiers which are legal and safe to use.

n9zas

why has someone not come out with a two piece cb? the modulator and control deck in home and RF deck in a weatherproof housing so you can mount it at base of antenna and eliminate any coax losses?

another nice feature is a built in switched antenna system to allow for separate Tx and RX antenna's as there is no height limit on CB receive antenna's.

everyone know eliminating coax losses and increasing antenna systems gain is better than adding brute force power.

LtDoc

Why no two piece radios? Simple, cuz there isn't enough immediate profit for the manufacturers. Why not make things a bit more 'complicated' for users who know nothing about radios (separate antennas)? Partly because there's more room for mistakes, and because that antenna height enforcement is very seldom (if ever) done.
CB radio technology is so far behind the 'rest' that it's hardly believable. I really doubt if it ever catches up. When was the last time you saw any significant advances in it? The differences between todays radios and those made 20 years ago are worth about 12 cents, and that's a conservative/optimistic estimate.
- 'Doc

why has someone not come out with a two piece cb? the modulator and control deck in home and RF deck in a weatherproof housing so you can mount it at base of antenna and eliminate any coax losses?

another nice feature is a built in switched antenna system to allow for separate Tx and RX antenna's as there is no height limit on CB receive antenna's.

everyone know eliminating coax losses and increasing antenna systems gain is better than adding brute force power.
This could be done but there's not a demand. The Radioshack 21-1850 was an FRS radio but it used the idea that you just mentioned. It had the actual radio in a waterproof housing that could be mounted on top of a vehicle and then it had a microphone unit inside of the car that could be used to control the radio.

You can check it out here:
GMRS Web Magazine Reviews the Radio Shack 21-1850 Mobile FRS Radio

I don't thing anyone would make something for CB like this since there's not a huge demand for it.

roadranger

Roof mounted Radio

This could be done but there's not a demand. The Radioshack 21-1850 was an FRS radio but it used the idea that you just mentioned. It had the actual radio in a waterproof housing that could be mounted on top of a vehicle and then it had a microphone unit inside of the car that could be used to control the radio.

You can check it out here:
GMRS Web Magazine Reviews the Radio Shack 21-1850 Mobile FRS Radio

I don't thing anyone would make something for CB like this since there's not a huge demand for it.

Not to get too far off topic. I have one of those. I guess the idea was to maintain the rule of having an FRS radio without an antenna that would separate from the radio. I found it kind-of useless. Left it on the car for a couple of years and the rubber casing on the started to peel off. I wonder if the silly thing still works?

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
why has someone not come out with a two piece cb?

LOL... another one of your great ideas.

Seriously, though, I doubt there would be enough demand to make one commercially. But if you were technically adept, you could convert one.

the modulator and control deck in home and RF deck in a weatherproof housing so you can mount it at base of antenna and eliminate any coax losses?

The thing there is, at 27 MHz, coax losses really aren't much of a problem. But remoting the radio would be.

Well, you could easily use split antennas using an external coaxial relay. But then there's this:

FCC Rules and Regulations said:
§ 95.408 (CB Rule 8) How high may I put my antenna?

top (a) Antenna means the radiating system (for transmitting, receiving or both) and the structure holding it up (tower, pole or mast). It also means everything else attached to the radiating system and the structure.
(b) If your antenna is mounted on a hand-held portable unit, none of the following limitations apply.
(c) If your antenna is installed at a fixed location, it (whether receiving, transmitting or both) must comply with either one of the following:
(1) The highest point must not be more than 6.10 meters (20 feet) higher than the highest point of the building or tree on which it is mounted; or
(2) The highest point must not be more than 18.3 meters (60 feet) above the ground.

Not sure how you want to interpret that, but 95.408 says it applies to receiving antennas as well. But really, what would be the point of separating them? Having unbalanced TX/RX coverage is a pain in the neck.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. At 27 MHz, LMR-400 has 0.6 db/100' of loss. LMR 600/100' has 0.4 db loss. 7/8" Heliax has 0.18 db/100' loss.

Why is coax loss a problem again? :roll:

Last edited:

LtDoc

You will never -eliminate- feed line losses. You can reduce them to a practical level, but that's it. That practical level is much higher than most people think it is. It depends on the length of that feed line, of course, but when you get into HF feed line losses those smaller ones just aren't going to make any -practical- difference. If the total is less than about 3 dB, you will never know it's there (hear it).
- 'Doc

K9WG

You will never -eliminate- feed line losses. You can reduce them to a practical level, but that's it. That practical level is much higher than most people think it is. It depends on the length of that feed line, of course, but when you get into HF feed line losses those smaller ones just aren't going to make any -practical- difference. If the total is less than about 3 dB, you will never know it's there (hear it).
- 'Doc
Same goes for SWR. You don't need a 1:1 SWR. A 1.5:1 or 2:1 SWR isn't going to make a big difference.

LtDoc

I think it's very safe to say that any radio of the brands mentioned and sold by any 'CB shop' as a "10 meter" radio is merely a 'get-around' for a much modified CB radio, or a CB radio on steroids. I'm surprised that more of those 'CB shops' haven't been cited. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, even if it's wearing a dog collar and answers to 'Fido'... it's still a duck. So what else is new??
- 'Doc

K9WG

The web site is still active. Good question why the FCC hasn't done anything else. H and Y probably dropped off the radar for awhile. Unfortunately the FCC seems to have other priorities then to enforce spectrum issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.