CB Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewg26

I have an old used Realistic tr-21 HH CB radio and I very disappointed with its performance...I was wondering if this would perform any better?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103702&cp=2032052.2032070&parentPage=family. I am going to a long road trip this week and i thout this might help out...I escially like the scan feature. But I really need increased reception. Any help would be appreciated. I don't have room in my car for a real dash mounted unit at this tiime. I really hope I make this work. Thanks in advance.

Lew

KC0QNB

Do you have a dc power cord for the radio?, handheld cbs really eat batteries
Do you have an antenna you can put on the roof?, if not get one ,a good one
Have you used this radio in your car before? with the blower fan running? handheld cbs aren't made with adequate noise filters, at least not the ones I have had
there is a start to improve your performance

KF4ZTO

Considering the frequency band CB operates on, highlander is right. A better antenna is going to improve your situation much more than a better radio would. The Wilson 1000 is an excellent antenna. Also, make sure to get a DC power cord for the radio. The TRC-241 (the radio you provided the link for) is an excellent radio...again, provided you get a good antenna for it.

Hope this helps.

-ZTO

af5rn

Word. It's all about the antenna, regardless of radio. Best antenna you can get, mounted dead centre on your roof, preferably in a hole drilled into metal, if possible. You'll think your radio is on steroids.

lewg26

I was thinking the same thing about the antenna, but the radio is an ht and the ext antenna jack appears to be an RCA plug...Do they make adaptors for CB antennas to connect to this type of jack? I haven't even seen adaptors for this type of plug.

Thanks,
Lew

lewg26

Thanks a lot for the replies. I posted this on several other radio and ham sites and got nothing but negative feedback. One person on a site actually told me that since I know nothing about electronics I have no business even reading the posts on their websites. I didn't bother to inform them that I am an engineer for Verizon in the highspeed data and critical circuit department. I spend my days troubleshooting and designing circuits for the FAA, railroads and 911 centers. I just wasn't sure how good my handheld CB that I bought would compare to the newest models. I am taking a long distance driving trip this week and would like a CB that performs as good as possible.

SAR923

A handheld CB will perform better with a good antenna, as has been pointed out. If you have the money, I would get both a better antenna, like the Wilson, and a small mobile unit like the one at http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102653&cp=2032052.2032070&parentPage=family. It's actually smaller than the handheld, has better audio, and better noise filtering. You can power it through a cigarette lighter plug and rig up temporary mount with some velcro. You'll find it'a aslo a lot easier (and safe) to talk through the mike than hold the handheld with all the attendant wires that will be hanging off it. I use this rig in my motorhome and I was easily able to mount it using two existing screws under the dash. It's so light that almost anything that will keep it up or stop it from sliding around will work.

As far as those other forums go, there are always places where it seems that mostly jerks hang out. We have a few here but even they tend to be pretty knowledgeable jerks. :)

Here's a link to a great forum which used to be just CB, but is now CB/Ham/Hobby radio. Great bunch of people and some are very knowledgeable.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/index.php

I agree that if you are primarily going to use the radio in a vehicle, a small mobile 40 channel radio would be a better choice, but that handheld will do a good job with a good external antenna.

For small mobiles, I like the Uniden Pro-520xl. Hook it up with a Wilson 1000 antenna, and you've got a nice starter setup.

stevolene

lewg26

Ok, I'm going to get a magmount antenna for my car and maybe the small radioshack cb http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family. I am leaving for my trip on Friday so I don't really have time to order an antenna off the internet. Are the radioshack magmount antennas any good, and if not does anyone know where I can get a good antenna before Friday? Thanks again.

af5rn

The Rat Shack maggies suck, in comparison to high-quality, high-performance CB antennae. But for what you want to use it for -- basically travel information and traffic talk with nearby motorists -- it will work fine.

If you really want to go hardcore though, there should be a CB shop somewhere within driving distance of you, or at least a truck stop. Good truck stops usually have some good CBs and antennae in stock at reasonable prices. Fry's, even Wal Mart and K-Mart have some CBs in stock. Of the commonly available ones, Uniden and Cobra are the safest bets if you don't have a lot of time to do research. They are reasonably priced too. Damn fine Unidens are still under $100 bucks. If not, you could get something overnighted from any CB supplier online and have it before you leave Friday.

I would agree that the maggie Wilson is probably the way to go for maximising performance.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
RS HT for the Road

You don't say where you're from, but if you live near Kentucky you might want to check out GI Joes Radio Electronics. I ordered my Bearcat from them on a Monday night off the internet and received it Thursday afternoon (UPS). They have pretty decent prices, too.

http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/default.asp

Good luck and be safe on your trip.
Barry

prcguy

If your going to purchase a radio and you don't need SSB, check out a used Motorola CB like the Mocat 40, they are hard to beat for good performance and they have a large top firing speaker that gets very loud without distorting. You can find them on Ebay in the $25 to $50 range, check item # 150271190269.
prcguy
The Rat Shack maggies suck, in comparison to high-quality, high-performance CB antennae. But for what you want to use it for -- basically travel information and traffic talk with nearby motorists -- it will work fine.

If you really want to go hardcore though, there should be a CB shop somewhere within driving distance of you, or at least a truck stop. Good truck stops usually have some good CBs and antennae in stock at reasonable prices. Fry's, even Wal Mart and K-Mart have some CBs in stock. Of the commonly available ones, Uniden and Cobra are the safest bets if you don't have a lot of time to do research. They are reasonably priced too. Damn fine Unidens are still under $100 bucks. If not, you could get something overnighted from any CB supplier online and have it before you leave Friday.

I would agree that the maggie Wilson is probably the way to go for maximising performance.

stevolene

or if you really wanna have some fun , find you an ol galaxy 88 stroked out, a boomer 600, roadking 56, and a monkey made antenna......let the big dog eat !!

PhilJSmith67

I cast my vote for the Wilson 1000. With a modded Uniden/President HR-2510 on my Wilson, I was often carrying on conversations via SSB from Chicago to the southern states (TX, LA, MS, GA, AR), with 12.5 watts PEP. I also had an older, crystal-type RatShack handheld which ran approximately 1.8 watts and could talk 10 miles when it was connected to the Wilson.

I had a RatShack mag mount antenna which didn't work nearly as well. With a Cobra 19+ CB it went about 4 miles, tops. It also only lasted two days, right up until the point where I hit 75mph and the crappy mag flew off the car roof, dented the quarterpanel, and apparently was freed from its leash by the rear tire. The mag mount on my Wilson stayed on through Montana at 100+ mph (I sure miss that 'Reasonable and Prudent' speed limit!), and judging from its insanely strong magnetic grip, could have held at 200 if a Grand Prix could ever be propelled to that speed. :)

rescuecomm

For any sort of CB performance, I never run an antenna shorter than three feet. The four foot ones are even better. Many truck stops have far better antenna and CB radio selections than Radio Shack. You will be surprised at what those guys have on the shelf.

Bob

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
For any sort of CB performance, I never run an antenna shorter than three feet. The four foot ones are even better. Many truck stops have far better antenna and CB radio selections than Radio Shack. You will be surprised at what those guys have on the shelf.

Bob
Some custom mobile CB antennas i've seen on the are crazy

Some of them need to have a flashing red light so the airplanes can see it!

Status
Not open for further replies.